I'm out - Resigning from BA

Old May 2, 2017, 11:08 am
Original Poster

I'm out - Resigning from BA

So an exciting day today. I've handed in my notice and will be moving on up North for a new career in 'friendly low fares'.

I'm not going to go on a massive rant about BA management etc. Engineering is, generally speaking, full of great people who are making do as best they can despite massive changes and financial pressures.

The final straw came for me after a personal dispute with a team leader was not resolved by higher management and this left me with less pay and leave than company procedure should have entitled me to. No big controversy, just a simple employment drama that I'm sure happens the world over.

After six years of working on the Engineering Base, Waterside and T5 although only the latter three were as a direct BA employee. I will leave behind a great team, and a job that I used to love. I'll also have to get used to paying full fare if I want to fly in J!! I'm not the only one leaving engineering this month, 100 colleagues are taking voluntary severance as part of a restructure, and I think this graffiti in the toilets neatly sums up the situation...

EDIT: To add - that wasn't my pen on the toilet sign...
Attached Images  

Last edited by alextheengineer; May 2, 2017 at 11:10 am Reason: Clarification re graffiti...
Old May 2, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
It's always sad when some one moves on. Hope the next job suits you better.

Would you please pass on that graffiti to the man who is Cruzifying BA?
Old May 2, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Best of luck with LS, I'm sure your team will miss you.

I prefer it up north in any case (ducks)

Last edited by navylad; May 2, 2017 at 12:09 pm
Old May 2, 2017, 11:19 am

Good luck in your new role and welcome to the North......there are many current employees of BA who would echo your feelings towards the company . It used to be a great place to work but in many areas morale is now at the lowest I have seen in over 20 years with BA.
Old May 2, 2017, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
So pleased that you managed to get out of this dreadful company, good luck in the future and never look back.
Old May 2, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
All the best, I will be ever so slightly more worried every time I get on a BA plane now you have left Alex.
Old May 2, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
If you are going to be based at LBA, you'll be working with a good friend of mine!
Old May 2, 2017, 12:07 pm

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
It's not all bad. Your moving up to gods country.
Old May 2, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I was hoping you were Alex "the engineer" Cruz. Good luck fella!
Old May 2, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Good luck with the new adventure alextheengineer! I've always appreciated your perspective on here, so thanks again for that!
Old May 2, 2017, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all your messages everyone. I'll still be here for a while but feels so much better already!

Originally Posted by Worcester
All the best, I will be ever so slightly more worried every time I get on a BA plane now you have left Alex.
You needn't be. As I said up thread, there are some great people, and I hope you enjoy continuing to fly with BA. I certainly will be - I have a stash of avios I've never used!

Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
Would you please pass on that graffiti to the man who is Cruzifying BA?
He's already watching me. I gave him a grilling at a management briefing where we weren't supposed to ask questions a few months ago. After that, some adjustments were made to my PC monitor by my colleagues...
Attached Images  
Old May 2, 2017, 12:38 pm
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
Love that edited sign lol

Good luck in your new job !
Old May 2, 2017, 12:45 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Good luck Alex!

All the very best alextheengineer for your new move. I hope it all works out well and I understand where you are coming from.

Ask the Staffer is personally one of my favourite threads and I genuinely value your posts on there. I don't think we have another Engineer on here so you are unique!

Despite the move from BA I hope you can still answer some of the (geeky) technical questions the members post from time to time and so thanks for all your contributions ^^^
Old May 2, 2017, 1:02 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
And I'll add my best wishes alextheengineer. There's no point being unhappy in your job, and a move nearer to humanity, albeit the Yorkshire variety, is an added bonus. I hope you'll keep your finger on the pulse here, I'm sure there is a lot you can contribute here. Maybe there'll be a Jet2 forum one day!
Old May 2, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
Good luck in your new job !
Hopefully you won't be leaving the BAEC patch of Flyer Talk ,

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.