Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Avios Redemption: Changing Outbound resulting in total Cancellation/Rebooking

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2017, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, PC Plat, HH Diamond

Afternoon, all.

We recently made an Avios booking GLA-LHR-BIL/MAD-LHR-GLA. Due to some changes in plans, we needed to change the outbound to be GLA-LHR-MAD which Mrs GS did over the phone.

However, she was told that the whole redemption would need to be rebooked. This has resulted in a schlep from LHR to LCY on a Tuesday afternoon for the flight back to GLA.

Was she given the correct advice, or should we have been able to retain the inbound booking?

I've had a look at the Avois Redemption thread, but can't work it out. So any expert advice appreciated!
Old May 2, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
I believe this was the correct advice. And it is what I have been told by BA in the past.

For pure RFS Avios bookings I have always booked two singles as there is no disadvantage to doing this. In fact the taxes on the return leg may be less so you may save a few quid. This gets around any messiness regarding changing one part of the journey. So next time just book GLA-LHR-XXX on one PNR and XXX/YYY-LHR-GLA on another.
Old May 2, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
You can only change the route of any redemption if the avios cost remains the same, i.e. the redemption bands are unchanged. So the outbound needed to be cancelled, not changed. It doesn't seem to be explicit but I'm sure you can't just cancel half the journey because of the same rule.

Closest thing that might have worked would be changing to GLA-LHR-BIO, but it's unlikely that would suit you?
Old May 2, 2017, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, PC Plat, HH Diamond
Thanks folks. I'll bear that in mind for the future.

TBH I'd completely forgotten about the two singles option. That's what I get for rushing!

On the plus side, we've been back in touch and they've managed to find availability out of LHR so all's well that ends well. And I've learned something
Old May 2, 2017, 10:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Good news!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.