Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A question regarding Heathrow staff?

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2017, 4:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
I think you were pushing your luck with 3 bags...seriously.

1 back small/medium sized backpack that didn't weight more than 7kg and a small roller bag that also didn't weight more than 7kg makes me think you wouldn't have had a problem..but 3....~i think you pushed your luck.
Old May 2, 2017, 4:46 pm

Programs: HH - Gold, BA - Blue
At easyJet we are told not to handle pax phones etc, if we drop them we're responsible and the company will have to pay the damages. Likewise UKBA are told not to handle pax phones when scanning the boarding cards etc for the same reason.

Old May 2, 2017, 4:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Orange.Man
At easyJet we are told not to handle pax phones etc, if we drop them we're responsible and the company will have to pay the damages. Likewise UKBA are told not to handle pax phones when scanning the boarding cards etc for the same reason.

Losing a passenger's phone can be a very very nasty problem to try and solve especially if it get's misplaced and the delay's that are likely to come with it.

Never in my life have I ever heard or seen a passenger have his or her mobile phone "confiscated" before boarding, even if they had to re-pack.

I suspect the gate agent may have accidently grabbed both passport and phone without realizing it as he or she had their mind occupied preparing for the boarding process.

That seems to be the most logical thing that has happened.
Attached Images  
Old May 2, 2017, 5:21 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by navylad
OP, I am sorry to hear that you found 'BA' staff boarding you asking you to comply with the hand baggage allowance to be unpleasant.

AFAIK, the airlines you mention have exactly the same policy as BA now (except FR has a 10kg weight limit and Easyjet only allow the extra small bag if you are a Plus cardholder or on a FLEXI fare), officially all state now that duty free purchased must be included within your hand baggage allowance. Obviously, there is variation on enforcement for this on different flights (often depending on load factors) and at different airports.

Please also note that, in line with other airlines, BA's conditions of carriage state

and also from BA's website
the complaint relates to holding phone and passport hostage not the compliance with carry on policies.
Old May 2, 2017, 5:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
the complaint relates to holding phone and passport hostage not the compliance with carry on policies.
But the reason why his mobile phone and passport were being held by the gate agent (over reach in my humble opinion) was because he had problems with on board carry on policies.
Old May 2, 2017, 5:59 pm

Programs: BAEC, LHM&M, and even a dusty KLFB!

Yes, it's interesting that AA refuse to do so much as touch a phone, as though they're coated with plague!

I agree with others that they've kept it because you're "beyond" the boarding point, but they should have explained that and let you go back to the other side if you wanted your passport and phone back. Never OK to hold them hostage, IMHO...
Old May 2, 2017, 9:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DrBernardo
Yes, it's interesting that AA refuse to do so much as touch a phone, as though they're coated with plague!

I agree with others that they've kept it because you're "beyond" the boarding point, but they should have explained that and let you go back to the other side if you wanted your passport and phone back. Never OK to hold them hostage, IMHO...
It's common courtesy ain't it..taking someone's phone is a no no, what more holding it without just cause.

Try taking the mobile phone away from an american and watch and see what happens! You will get a right telling off and a complaint straight away.
Old May 2, 2017, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
It was not an apology on behalf on BA, it was me saying sorry to hear that the OP reports having had an unpleasant experience.
That is disingenuous.

And it avoids the OP's question and complaint.
Old May 3, 2017, 1:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Can I help you
It's the OPs disruption of how their passport and phone were kept which frankly I find ridiculous and makes me think that the OP isn't guilt free.
"guilt free"? I questioned regarding the sandwich bag and he kept telling me i had to check in a bag. I said "well, if you let me have my passport and phone back i will put the sandwich bag in my backpack". At which point he said no and told me to move to the side pointing behind him which was when i started to raise my voice because I was angry.

If I was guilty of something how i was i allowed to board the flight without anything being checked in or being able to board at all?

This accusation is ridiculous and frankly nonconstructive.
Old May 3, 2017, 1:02 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
That is disingenuous.

And it avoids the OP's question and complaint.
HVDY, it was not disingenuous, I genuinely feel for the OP; I think most FTers have at one time or another got annoyed by a member of airline staff's actions and I have every sympathy for the OP.

It was neither avoiding the OP's questions nor complaint, as I have explained subsequently ⌗Post30.

May I request you restrict your posts to those that are constructive and relevant.

Last edited by navylad; May 3, 2017 at 1:12 am
Old May 3, 2017, 1:03 am
Original Poster

This is very useful. thank you.
Old May 3, 2017, 1:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Ultimately no one knows what happened here unless they were there.

Would have loved to be a fly on the wall and make a proper judgement though!
Old May 3, 2017, 2:37 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

May I request you restrict your posts to those that are constructive and relevant.
Pot/Kettle...
Old May 3, 2017, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
If for a moment we could only deal with facts, how far were you from your passport and phone while repacking your bags?
Old May 3, 2017, 3:36 am

Good info - I can see why. My new phone arrived this morning at the cost of nearly Ł700.00 - they are not exactly cheap these days. Paper boarding passes all the way here. It's an extra hassle IMHO.

I can see both sides here. Staff member didn't handle this well but at the same time they can force bags to be checked if required. If you are prone to getting annoyed at this, I'd recommend you never visit the check in desks at AMS with more than one piece of cabin baggage

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.