What is going on with onboard butter?

Old May 2, 2017, 2:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
What is going on with onboard butter?

My 4th (and final) trip of April over the weekend in CE, and again President butter.

Should the UK's flag carrier not be a showcase for a British brand of butter?

I'm going to call Nigel Farage about this
Old May 2, 2017, 3:42 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
I'd far rather that it was replaced by a choice of a sachet of Heinz Ketchup or HP Brown during breakfast hours. Who eats a full cooked breakfast anywhere else without one or tuther?
Old May 2, 2017, 3:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by surryson
I'd far rather that it was replaced by a choice of a sachet of Heinz Ketchup or HP Brown during breakfast hours....
Judging by the way the sauce is served in the lounges, I can imagine they'd manage to spaltter it everywhere onboard!
Old May 2, 2017, 4:10 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
I suppose they feel that people don't care that much about butter so the cheapest (but quality) option is best - President is part of the largest dairy firm in the world after all.

There isn't much in the way of a large brand that's truly British that could compete - it'd probably have to be Dairy Crest with their Countrylife product.

Any smaller brands (like they've done with the Roddas clotted cream or FeverTree tonic) are probably seen as not worth the extra expense.
Old May 2, 2017, 4:18 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by surryson
I'd far rather that it was replaced by a choice of a sachet of Heinz Ketchup or HP Brown during breakfast hours. Who eats a full cooked breakfast anywhere else without one or tuther?
Me.
Old May 2, 2017, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Jersey Dairy butter is available in 7g individual portions

http://www.jerseydairy.com/products/...salted-butter/
Old May 2, 2017, 4:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Foltan
There isn't much in the way of a large brand that's truly British that could compete - it'd probably have to be Dairy Crest with their Countrylife product.
We used to get Country Life, before they changed to that awul cheap catering portion of some naff cash and carry brand.

No problem with the taste of President, just disappointed that BA are showcasing French products.
Old May 2, 2017, 4:58 am

Programs: United: 1K, BA: Silver, IHG: Plat, Hyatt: Plat, Marriott: Gold, SPG: Gold, Avis: Chairman
I just wish they didn't deep freeze it on longhaul flights! It's impossible to spread or even get a knife into it!
Old May 2, 2017, 5:06 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
President is a massive operation and produces a mass produced standardised product which has little resemblance to the real thing, I would urge you to try a taste comparison. I think it's safe to assume it's cheap.

It may not showcase the best of British but it certainly highlights the worst of France.
Old May 2, 2017, 5:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by T8191
Jersey Dairy butter is available in 7g individual portions

http://www.jerseydairy.com/products/...salted-butter/
I'll e-mail that to Senor Cruz, tell him to send his purchasing team down for a recce.
Old May 2, 2017, 5:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Clestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
I was blown away by the quality of Qantas' butter.

IIRC BA are now serving Netherend Farm in CW and F?
Old May 2, 2017, 5:44 am

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TheOldMan
Me.
and me.
Old May 2, 2017, 5:47 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I do like a bit of butter on a bread roll and am forever struggling with the icicles that pass as butter on BA. I usually try to warm the butter on plates/trays of warm food or against a mug of tea if I happen to have one. Alternatively putting the butter (wrapper on) into a clenched fist can improve the spreadability. If anyone has any good ideas for softening the butter please do share.

Agree with the poster above re ketchup and brown sauce. Essential items without which a breakfast or bacon/sausage roll is hopelessly naked and incomplete.
Old May 2, 2017, 5:53 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by MichaelBaku
and me.
Me three.

Those sauces are used to hide the poor quality meat on some members breakfast plates.

No such issues for me as I only eat decent grub.

After all if I'm going to ingest a million calories it had better be worth it!
Old May 2, 2017, 6:05 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis Presidents Club
The problem with the desire to promote Britsih produce on flights could turn into the slippery slope of replacing French champagne with English fizz!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.