Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Heathrow to Gatwick, missed flight what happens

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2017, 4:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, DC, IC

Hi
Looking at booking, Man to MCO, however have to get from Heathrow to Gatwick, the options are an 8.35am flight into Heathrow arriving 9.45am, the flight from Gatwick departs 13.30 so plenty of time to get over to Gatwick (3.45 hrs)I assume that a late arrival into Heathrow would mean BA cover me, however where do I stand if I missed the connection due to traffic on the M25?
Old Apr 30, 2017, 5:10 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Should be fine but if you want to be safe either travel down night before or plod up to EDI or GLA and get the shuttle down with same airport connection ?

cs
Old Apr 30, 2017, 5:23 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The MCT for LHR/LGW services is 3 hours, and that's more than sufficient, particularly after the morning rush hour. Clearly it's important to be on one ticket to protect the connections. Though the National Express is probably the easiest overall, and isn't much slower than a taxi, I tend to take the tube+train if I've got 3 hours since it more or less fixed at a 90-100 minute connection and is inexpensive.

There is a slightly out of date guide to LHR to LGW connections in the Forum Dashboard.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Agree with CWS. At that time of day, clockwise on the M25, you will be fine.

I suggest getting Flex tickets on the NEX ... that will help if your inbound to LHR is either early or late! ISTR the NEX runs every 15-minute between the 2 airports. HBO travellers might find tube+train convenient, but I suggest that's a real PITA with luggage
Old Apr 30, 2017, 6:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
if through ticketed then you will not be sold an "illegal" connection

if not through ticketed, all bets are off
Old Apr 30, 2017, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by mycity68
Hi
Looking at booking, Man to MCO, however have to get from Heathrow to Gatwick, the options are an 8.35am flight into Heathrow arriving 9.45am, the flight from Gatwick departs 13.30 so plenty of time to get over to Gatwick (3.45 hrs)I assume that a late arrival into Heathrow would mean BA cover me, however where do I stand if I missed the connection due to traffic on the M25?
There is an earlier BA flight departing MAN at 6.45am, arrives at 7.55am (which we are flying on in June - but are connecting to an Int. flight at Heathrow). I'm not sure how rush hour may impact on the connection but if you are concerned about the connection this additional time may help.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
I don't know if you have a particular reason to fly BA but these days there are so many good alternatives MAN-MCO that I wouldn't even consider going to the trouble and expense of the London transfer.

Again, I don't know the full details your plans but the transfer faff on the return leg after a long overnight flight isn't something I could recommend.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
There are sometimes incredible bargains to be had on domestic-LHR/LGW-USA.

I did a LGW-LHR connection off a flight from TPA about 2 weeks ago and I agree with @Kat222, it is tough when you have been on an overnight flight. As you have to re-check luggage, note that the bag drop only opens 3 hours before departure from LHR so you may be hanging around there bleary eyed waiting to get rid of your luggage.

Recommend BATransfer.com (not related to BA) taxi service though. Worked well and was just over Ł100 return for a family of 4. Driver was on the ball and diverted off the M25 to avoid a major tailback.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 9:34 am

While I agree that in all likelihood the OP will make the transfer comfortably, I don't think their question has really been addressed.

It is possible (although rare) for traffic to completely snarl up the M25 and in the case that a connection is missed, I don't know what BA would do. I've had experience with AA who took a moment to verify the traffic situation and then rebooked my very cheap and inflexible ticket without question. This was a few years ago, and IIRC the 'connecting' flight was on a separate BA ticket.

I would hope that BA would do the same. A year or two ago, I would have expected them to, but in the brave new world I can only hope no-one needs to test this policy.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 9:46 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The connection should be protected if there are traffic delays, and often BA agents are advised if the M25 or the LHR spur roads are furring up. There was a case recently where BA charged a change fee for turning up late (short haul service) after very bad traffic, but the traveller managed to recover the fee, it seemed to be incorrectly handled at the time and if I've understood correctly the passenger also took a 20 minute break to "freshen up".

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...fer-delay.html

I regard that as an anecdote against the usual process which would be to rebook the passenger on another flight, connecting if necessary. If stuck in traffic and it's looking bad for timing, I would ring up BA and ask the agent to put a note on the PNR to explain the delay (this is for Conditions of Carriage reasons) - it should make for an easier conversation in LGW.

[Yes I know that wouldn't occur to most passengers, and not everyone has a mobile phone, but this would be my advice in that circumstance].

Having said that, I can't see a problem so long as the passenger made every attempt to get to LGW as soon as possible. And in this case, I'd be very happy to make this booking so long as it wasn't the end of the world if the flight ended up being rebooked.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
I'm amazed that BA sells LHR-LGW connections but does not run a shuttle service to connect the two airports, both major airports of BA!
Old Apr 30, 2017, 11:13 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
I'm amazed that BA sells LHR-LGW connections but does not run a shuttle service to connect the two airports, both major airports of BA!
The NEX buses are far more frequent than any shuttle bus BA would theoretically run.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
The NEX buses are far more frequent than any shuttle bus BA would theoretically run.
Well then BA should at least pay for the NEX on single ticket connecting flights between airpots.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Well then BA should at least pay for the NEX on single ticket connecting flights between airpots.
A nice thought, but seriously .... do you honestly expect BA to fund a bus service to another airport?

I don't, and we have to hop LGW/LHR quite often. I've never, ever, thought that was BA's responsibility. The same applies at IAD/DCA/BWI. The World isn't perfect, sadly!
Old Apr 30, 2017, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
A nice thought, but seriously .... do you honestly expect BA to fund a bus service to another airport?

I don't, and we have to hop LGW/LHR quite often. I've never, ever, thought that was BA's responsibility. The same applies at IAD/DCA/BWI. The World isn't perfect, sadly!
If it is a single ticket connection between two airports they serve, then yes i do!
It can be 'included in your ticket price'.
It's not the passengers fault BA decided to have 2 hubs in the same city!
Wouldn't it be hilarious if there was a LHR-LGW flight? Could BA be profitable by charging 30 GBP for each passenger you think? It would help also move planes between hubs!

If it wasn't a 'protected connection' then no BA would have no need to pay for the bus connection naturally.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.