FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA lounge access guidelines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1839746-ba-lounge-access-guidelines.html)

gustavmahler Oct 23, 2017 2:14 am

I might be travelling to India and Pakistan in WTP for work next month, flying LHR-DOH-ISB/BOM-LHR. If I UuA LHR-DOH to CW, leaving DOH-ISB in Economy, what is the lounge situation in DOH for a same-day connection? I will have been relegated to Rust by then so no lounge access by status.

SussexFly Oct 27, 2017 11:17 am

Could I just clarify something please - I知 new to the whole FT/BA world and am still getting to grips with it all!

I知 flying out of T3 in a few weeks time in CE.
I致e read that the CX Lounge is better than the BA one.
1, Am I allowed acces to the CX Lounge as a Blue card holder, but travelling in CE?
2, Am I right I知 thinking I知 allowed to pop into one lounge and then leave and go try another?

PETER01 Oct 27, 2017 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by SussexFly (Post 28984431)
Could I just clarify something please - I知 new to the whole FT/BA world and am still getting to grips with it all!

I知 flying out of T3 in a few weeks time in CE.
I致e read that the CX Lounge is better than the BA one.
1, Am I allowed acces to the CX Lounge as a Blue card holder, but travelling in CE?
2, Am I right I知 thinking I知 allowed to pop into one lounge and then leave and go try another?

1) I think the CX lounge is much better than the BA J lounge and your CE ticket with allow you into any of the oneworld lounges in T3 by virtue of your CE ticket.
2) Yes you can sample them all if you want to. Personally, I don't like the AA lounge.

and welcome to Flyertalk and the BA Board Sussexfly ^

SussexFly Oct 27, 2017 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by PETER01 (Post 28984614)
1) I think the CX lounge is much better than the BA J lounge and your CE ticket with allow you into any of the oneworld lounges in T3 by virtue of your CE ticket.
2) Yes you can sample them all if you want to. Personally, I don't like the AA lounge.

and welcome to Flyertalk and the BA Board Sussexfly ^

many thanks for the welcome and also for the information!

nc11 Oct 27, 2017 2:29 pm

Quick question to find out if I’m expecting too much... so I traveled a couple of weeks ago out of T5, and as usual went to use the galleries lounge (as a silver member). I went in with my wife and daughter (12 yr old), but was stopped at reception and wasn’t allowed in with both of them. We all travelled in WTP.

That really frustrated me, but I kept my cool and asked if I could ask another member to bring my wife in as their guest. The response was categorically no, with a threat that the other member can lose their membership if caught with someone else’s guest. Clearly I could’ve just done that outside the lounge, but wanted to be fair.

Was I expecting too much?

Nixon Ho Oct 27, 2017 2:44 pm

Hello, in last june i had booked a ticket for lhr-zrh-hkg in CE for lhr-zrh leg and CX F for zrh-hkg leg, my access for the first wing and the galleries first lounge is denied as they said I could only enter cg lounge according to ba rules but OW rule clearly stated that I am entitled for it, they then later said that the lounge is exclusive for ba passengers
just want to know if I am entitled to galleries first in T5?

corporate-wage-slave Oct 27, 2017 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by nc11 (Post 28985156)
Was I expecting too much?

To be brutally honest, I am afraid you probably were expecting too much there. Being able to guest 2 people is a GGL or Premier level perk, so as a Silver you can't really expect that, unless you effectively pay for it via a Club World ticket for your wife and/or daughter. Particularly in half term week the poor lounge agents must be getting this every 10 minutes.

corporate-wage-slave Oct 27, 2017 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by Nixon Ho (Post 28985212)
Hello, in last june i had booked a ticket for lhr-zrh-hkg in CE for lhr-zrh leg and CX F for zrh-hkg leg, my access for the first wing and the galleries first lounge is denied as they said I could only enter cg lounge according to ba rules but OW rule clearly stated that I am entitled for it, they then later said that the lounge is exclusive for ba passengers
just want to know if I am entitled to galleries first in T5?

Yes, they probably got that wrong, unless (arguably) it was on two tickets. It won't happen that often, so the agents perhaps won't be familiar with it, but it is in their internal Lounge Access guide that you should have access, certainly so if as you suggest it was on one ticket. It's possible that the First Wing isn't part of the oneworld rulebook, but the First lounge certainly is not exclusive to BA passengers, IB also operate there, and in any case you were a BA passenger.

Sorry to hear about that Nixon Ho, but at least let me greet you to Flyertalk and the BA forum, it's good to see you here and I hope you nevertheless had a good flight to Hong Kong.

nc11 Oct 28, 2017 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 28985214)
To be brutally honest, I am afraid you probably were expecting too much there. Being able to guest 2 people is a GGL or Premier level perk, so as a Silver you can't really expect that, unless you effectively pay for it via a Club World ticket for your wife and/or daughter. Particularly in half term week the poor lounge agents must be getting this every 10 minutes.

I get the "we're doing our job" part of the agents, but perhaps especially during such a week the rules need some 'relaxing'. After all, in days when competition is fierce and publicity isn't at its best for BA, you'd expect an effort to make things smoother and nicer to customers, especially those loyal ones.

But then again, perhaps it's just me...

CCayley Oct 28, 2017 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by nc11 (Post 28988278)
I get the "we're doing our job" part of the agents, but perhaps especially during such a week the rules need some 'relaxing'. After all, in days when competition is fierce and publicity isn't at its best for BA, you'd expect an effort to make things smoother and nicer to customers, especially those loyal ones.

But then again, perhaps it's just me...

It's just you!

The lounges are crowded enough already, and one of the things that would test my loyalty to BA (if such a concept is even meaningful in the context of a person/company relationship) to its limit would be the lounge guardians allowing every shiny cardholder who thinks they are just too important for the guesting limits to be applied to them being allowed to bring limitless family members in.

BA provides a simple mechanism for you to procure lounge access for both your wife and daughter: it's called buying business class tickets. If you are too stingy to do that, there is only one person to blame if you end up in Giraffe rather than the lounge...

Globaliser Oct 28, 2017 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by nc11 (Post 28988278)
I get the "we're doing our job" part of the agents, but perhaps especially during such a week the rules need some 'relaxing'.

It is especially in such a week that the rules need to be enforced. The atmosphere in Galleries First last weekend was notably different from normal, precisely because it was unusually full of families. It's exactly the wrong time to be exacerbating that problem by relaxing the rules on bringing in extra guests.

eefor jfp Nov 1, 2017 10:29 am

I had no problems accessing the CCR the morning of my Club Europe flight (the morning after my flight in first). I must say, I was rather impressed with the Concorde Room. I'm not sure why, but my expectations were pretty low based on comments from some on this forum about dingy furniture and my own experiences using the dining facilities in T5 arrivals. I thought the area was very light, elegant and calm. LPGS was on offer (I only had one glass since it was an early breakfast) and the breakfast was decent if not excellent (I had the fresh fruit bowl and the scrambled eggs & smoked salmon).

My only negative was the service. I was never offered a refill on drinks (champagne or OJ) or asked how things were or if I wanted anything else (maybe this is an American service standard). And once I finished breakfast I was totally ignored for the rest of my time in the lounge. Anyway, I eventually helped myself to drinks from the carts next to the dining room entrance since i didn't see any other station. Not sure if this is the norm, but since things don't seem to be self-service, this was a fairly significant negative to me, especially given the number of staff wandering around.

Genius1 Nov 1, 2017 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by eefor jfp (Post 29004295)
My only negative was the service. I was never offered a refill on drinks (champagne or OJ) or asked how things were or if I wanted anything else (maybe this is an American service standard).

It's not an American service standard, it's just not a British Airways one, sadly.

It's good to hear your experience of the CCR was generally good, however.

nc11 Nov 1, 2017 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by CCayley (Post 28988405)
It's just you!

The lounges are crowded enough already, and one of the things that would test my loyalty to BA (if such a concept is even meaningful in the context of a person/company relationship) to its limit would be the lounge guardians allowing every shiny cardholder who thinks they are just too important for the guesting limits to be applied to them being allowed to bring limitless family members in.

BA provides a simple mechanism for you to procure lounge access for both your wife and daughter: it's called buying business class tickets. If you are too stingy to do that, there is only one person to blame if you end up in Giraffe rather than the lounge...

:) I hope you had a better day/s since this insightful comment. Cheer up!

Takiteasy Nov 1, 2017 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by nc11 (Post 29005656)
:) I hope you had a better day/s since this insightful comment. Cheer up!

+1

By the way to answer your initial query, the lounge staff gave you their view of their morals, not the letter of the law that day.

There is nothing preventing you to ask someone else to guest your wife while you guest your child. Whether someone will accept to do so is a different story of course: they retain responsibly for their guest痴 behaviour.