Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wrong visa info at F check in

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2017, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Angry Wrong visa info at F check in

Long time reader, first time poster I believe. Anyway, on Friday my friend and I were flying LHR-BEY. We are here for 10 days, then she goes BEY-DOH-MEL and I return to LHR. On check in, we were told that Australian passport holders need a visa. We challenged this, as we've been 3 times without issue, so the agent called the "decision maker" who confirmed "visa required". Again, I knew this was incorrect, so out came the laptops and we were looking up the rules. A second call to the "decision maker" had no resolve, and the agent informed us that she gets "performance management problems" if a person is sent back to LHR because of the need for a visa. I understand and respect this. About about 20 mins, we had documentation from Qatar Airways which said "Visa not required for stays of less than 1 month". The agent then challenged this, saying "we follow Beirut government, not Qatar Airways" (I felt the "Beirut Government" remark was dishonest). Anyway, she then calls a physical person (not a end-of-the-phone "decision maker") who then said it was OK(!) to issue boarding passes. No sorry from either women, just bags tagged and boarding passes printed.

My question - is this standard behaviour? What if we had accepted the "decision maker" and gone to the Lebanese Embassy in London and been told we don't need a visa? Is it fair for the onus on pax to prove our validity, and keep challenging until proven correct? I fear people like my parents would be turned away and just accept it, but I don't like that and as frequent travellers we knew better - others would not.

Any thoughts on this? Not impressed, felt like BA's "decision maker" is a little too Kafka. Thank goodness for new F wing as strong drinks were 2 mins away....
Old Apr 29, 2017, 1:49 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The official website certainly appears to agree with you:
http://www.general-security.gov.lb/en/posts/38

http://www.lebanemb.org.au/Consular/Visa.html

And I tend to use the KLM website in this area:
http://klm.traveldoc.aero/

and that says the same thing. I can't really explain this, occasionally we hear of cases involving outstations and transit via London (where the rules are somewhat complex) but I can't recall something like this from London. One of those things category?
Old Apr 29, 2017, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Thanks CWS, honor to get a reply from you! I always use http://www.qatarairways.com/uk/en/vi...uirements.page as it is very precise, but I guess "one of those things" is what it is. I just didn't think it was a very "first class" experience as these tickets are ex LHR. Anyway, noting your KLM page for "double proof" for any future hassle Thanks!
Old Apr 29, 2017, 1:58 pm

I do love the comments on here. A passenger is virtually denied boarding due to inability of BA staff to get basic things right and its "one of those things".

You can bet that if the OP missed the flight and went to the embassy BA would deny any responsibility.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 2:00 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by simons1
I do love the comments on here. A passenger is virtually denied boarding due to inability of BA staff to get basic things right and its "one of those things".

You can bet that if the OP missed the flight and went to the embassy BA would deny any responsibility.
They could certainly try to deny responsibility, but it would be IDB in my book and compensation due (and a free rebooking), not that it happened. As for your first point, can you recall a previous case reported here?
Old Apr 29, 2017, 2:06 pm

Seems to be an issue with systems. I flew back to TLV last week with my wife, who has Australian and Israeli passports. They insisted for 20 minutes that she needed a visa (at CW checkin in Heathrow T5) until eventually someone confirmed there is no need for visa (with either of the passports!).
Old Apr 29, 2017, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

I believe it would turn into a "she said he said" affair had we gone back, and in the end I would have been happier if someone explained why the "no travel today, you need a visa" was reversed - and said sorry for the unpleasant onus placed on us to fight it.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 2035
Seems to be an issue with systems. I flew back to TLV last week with my wife, who has Australian and Israeli passports. They insisted for 20 minutes that she needed a visa (at CW checkin in Heathrow T5) until eventually someone confirmed there is no need for visa (with either of the passports!).
A visa needed for Israel with an Israeli passport? Laughable system error there.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold; HH Gold; M&M; PS Classic; VV Silver (deceased); BD Silver (deceased).
The "decision maker" was technically correct in that an Australian passport holder does need a visa to enter Lebanon, but that visa is normally issued on arrival, which may be the cause of the confusion. IIRC, BA uses a version of timatec to check visa requirements and for Australian passport and Lebanon it says:

Document validity rules:

Passports and other documents accepted for entry must be valid for a minimum of 1 month beyond the period of intended stay.

Minors under 18 years of age can enter with passports valid for the period of intended stay, when accompanied by a parent.

Important:

Holders of passports containing any Israeli visa or stamp will be refused entry.

Maids must ensure that their passport includes a departure stamp issued by the country they departed from.

Lebanon - Destination Visa

Visa required.

Visa issuance:

Nationals of Australia traveling as tourists can obtain a visa on arrival at Beirut (BEY) for a maximum stay of 1 month. They must have a telephone number and address in Lebanon. They can apply to extend their stay for an additional 2 months.

Passengers with a confirmation that a visa has been approved before departure issued to businessmen, bankers, directors and investors by the Lebanese Immigration Directorate can obtain a visa on arrival at Beirut (BEY) for a maximum stay of 6 months.

Tourist groups of minimum 8 people can obtain a visa on arrival at Beirut (BEY) for a maximum stay of 6 months. They must be sponsored by a registered tour operator in Lebanon.

Passengers with a confirmation that a visa has been approved before departure issued by the Lebanese Immigration Directorate can obtain a visa on arrival at Beirut (BEY).

Maids of passengers who are accredited to Lebanon can obtain a visa on arrival.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by heartybob
The "decision maker" was technically correct in that an Australian passport holder does need a visa to enter Lebanon, but that visa is normally issued on arrival, which may be the cause of the confusion.
Visa required.

Visa issuance:

Nationals of Australia traveling as tourists can obtain a visa on arrival at Beirut (BEY) for a maximum stay of 1 month. They must have a telephone number and address in Lebanon. They can apply to extend their stay for an additional 2 months.

==> This is what we were shown afterwards, but before she showed us an "exception if married to a Lebanese citizen, need marriage certificate" etc which my friend does have. It was all a big mess, and "visa required - visa on arrival" should be familiar to BA check in staff. The arrogance of "visa required, sorry, no travel today" is what we got. I fear others will be caught out and face hassle ongoing.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
They could certainly try to deny responsibility, but it would be IDB in my book and compensation due (and a free rebooking), not that it happened. As for your first point, can you recall a previous case reported here?
I can think of plenty of cases in recent days resulting in comments designed to, shall we say, avoid portraying BA in a bad light. That is what I am referring to.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 2:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Golden rule - always check if visa requirements has changed when booking. Even seasoned travelers get caught out, and when you check in you can challenge with 100% certainty that you know the requirements.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 2:28 pm

I can think of plenty of cases in recent days resulting in comments designed to, shall we say, avoid portraying BA in a bad light. That is what I am referring to.
That's fair enough, and you have every right to challenge this, not that there is a pattern as far as I am concerned. Nevertheless genuinely I think it meets this definition:

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...f-those-things

Perhaps you could also provide a suggestion as to what the OP should do?

[That way I can have a go at providing you with a constructive critique!]
Old Apr 29, 2017, 2:31 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Which have nothing to do with this example, where clearly the check-in agent got it wrong. Somewhat disingenuous to infer anyone has defended BA in such circumstances, I'd say ...
Old Apr 29, 2017, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Which have nothing to do with this example, where clearly the check-in agent got it wrong. Somewhat disingenuous to infer anyone has defended BA in such circumstances, I'd say ...
Exactly. That's why I find the description of it as "one of those things" to be quite surprising.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.