Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Time to reissue changed award ticket

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2017, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Time to reissue changed award ticket

Just changed an award ticket routing on AA, my flight is 5/6. They said it could take 5 business days to reissue the ticket? That is kind of cutting it close, is there really nothing I can do than just wait? It seems there is no direct contact with the ticketing department from customers or even agents.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 1:06 pm

Once your booking requires manual intervention for re-ticketing, it'll go into a queue that's processed according to flight date. There's generally no way to speed that up, except that if it's gets to 48 hours before departure and you're still not ticketed, you can ask one of the service centres to call through to the ticketing team and do it while you're on the phone.

Hopefully that won't be needed, but sometimes bookings have been known to fall through the cracks, and doing it on the phone is less stressful than turning up at the airport counter without a ticket.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 1:08 pm

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC Gold, IC Plat Amb, Accor Gold
Lots of threads on here about reticketing. General advice seems to be that they prioritise as the departure date draws near. If it is not done 48 hours before departure phone to discuss but not much point in doing so earlier.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 1:10 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
On the 6 May? Yes, hopefully it will be quicker, but it sounds like your booking has been placed in the manual queue rather the automated queue: this typically happens if you change an existing booking to such an extent that it loses the chance of automation.

The back office constantly prioritises its workload according to the date of departure, and so you should already be fairly high up the list in that respect. So it could be ticketed within a day or two. Particularly if there aren't too many irrops. Luckily routine ticketing requests will go down over this weekend, business will be on holiday in much of the world. And yes, at this stage the contact centre agents cannot contact the back office - indeed it would obviously be counterproductive if they kept being disturbed by telephone calls from people trying to jump the queue.

However you're right to monitor this. If, at 48 hours before travel, you have not been reticketed then call again: bookings sometimes get put into the wrong priority channel and it gets overlooked. At that point you can stay on the line until it is done.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
On the 6 May? Yes, hopefully it will be quicker, but it sounds like your booking has been placed in the manual queue rather the automated queue: this typically happens if you change an existing booking to such an extent that it loses the chance of automation.

The back office constantly prioritises its workload according to the date of departure, and so you should already be fairly high up the list in that respect. So it could be ticketed within a day or two. Particularly if there aren't too many irrops. Luckily routine ticketing requests will go down over this weekend, business will be on holiday in much of the world. And yes, at this stage the contact centre agents cannot contact the back office - indeed it would obviously be counterproductive if they kept being disturbed by telephone calls from people trying to jump the queue.

However you're right to monitor this. If, at 48 hours before travel, you have not been reticketed then call again: bookings sometimes get put into the wrong priority channel and it gets overlooked. At that point you can stay on the line until it is done.
Yes 6 of May, as in next week!
Old May 3, 2017, 9:53 am
Original Poster

They're saying it will be reissued but my flight is in 78 hours is it okay to start freaking out?
Old May 3, 2017, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by slickvik
They're saying it will be reissued but my flight is in 78 hours is it okay to start freaking out?
See this post: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28242093-post3.html
Old May 3, 2017, 10:48 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by slickvik
Freaking out rarely helps, in my quite considerable experience.

48 hours? Pick up the telephone and ask them to issue while you are in the call.
Old May 3, 2017, 12:20 pm

When this happened to me, with a flight changed a month ago and still not ticketed at T-48, I called up and at first I was told there was nothing the agent could do, and I had nothing to worry about(!!)

I had to hang up and call back, got a more helpful agent who indeed contacted another department to get it reticketed on the phone. This process took the best part of an hour by the time I had held to begin with, and then waited for the glacial pace of the ticketing department.

Since then I avoid manual reticketing at all costs, which is hard given BAs incredibly poor online tools.

All in in all very frustrating but I suppose should be factored into the "cost" of a manual change.
Old May 3, 2017, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BAflyer90
When this happened to me, with a flight changed a month ago and still not ticketed at T-48, I called up and at first I was told there was nothing the agent could do, and I had nothing to worry about(!!)

I had to hang up and call back, got a more helpful agent who indeed contacted another department to get it reticketed on the phone. This process took the best part of an hour by the time I had held to begin with, and then waited for the glacial pace of the ticketing department.

Since then I avoid manual reticketing at all costs, which is hard given BAs incredibly poor online tools.

All in in all very frustrating but I suppose should be factored into the "cost" of a manual change.
That will probably be me
Old May 3, 2017, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Issue resolved after reaching out on twitter
Old Aug 19, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Price change from original reservation

I just went through this but didn't see my particular issue raised before.

I had added an extra leg (Lhr-Glasgow) to an Avios and cash ticket (Sna-Lhr) about 8 months ago. Didn't get ticketed until t-24 after a numbered of calls back and forth asking for my credit card code. It was the last call that surprised me. An agent that I could barely understand called to say that they couldn't ticket the added leg until I agreed to the new price that had gone up significantly from what I had originally been quoted. In no mood to mess with it at this late point, I agreed.

Is this standard? Shouldn't they have gone with my original quote as it's not my fault they delayed ticketing.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by michelin
I just went through this but didn't see my particular issue raised before.

I had added an extra leg (Lhr-Glasgow) to an Avios and cash ticket (Sna-Lhr) about 8 months ago. Didn't get ticketed until t-24 after a numbered of calls back and forth asking for my credit card code. It was the last call that surprised me. An agent that I could barely understand called to say that they couldn't ticket the added leg until I agreed to the new price that had gone up significantly from what I had originally been quoted. In no mood to mess with it at this late point, I agreed.

Is this standard? Shouldn't they have gone with my original quote as it's not my fault they delayed ticketing.
When you say had gone up significantly, how much extra have you been charged? Surely purchasing a separate LHR>GLA ticket (or just booking an RFS if you have avios) would have been fair cheaper?

Pilot37
Old Aug 19, 2017, 11:57 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Pilot37
When you say had gone up significantly, how much extra have you been charged? Surely purchasing a separate LHR>GLA ticket (or just booking an RFS if you have avios) would have been fair cheaper?

Pilot37
It appears I was charged the cost of what a separate Lhr-gla ticket was going for yesterday. About $465 for two tickets. So there was no benefit to buying it separately.

I can't remember what my original quote was and again it was hard to understand him, but it sounded like either $32 or $232.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 2:51 pm

I really don't see the point in paying extra unless there is some other complication involved (eg waiting for a quote before confirming). I would ring back and see exactly what has happened here, and if they won't budge, ask them to put a comment in the PNR for you to pursue later. Unless there is something else involved here, this is a mistake, and you should have asked to speak to someone you could understand more clearly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.