BA Best Price Guarantee...

Old Apr 27, 17, 1:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
BA Best Price Guarantee...

Anyone have recent experience of BA's best price guarantee?

I am looking to book NCL>LHR, LGW>ALG, ALG>LGW, LHR>NCL in CE in October.

BA's site quotes 700.41 but I can find it on Skyscanner through "Carlton Leisure" for 592.40.

I've been caught out with so called "Best Price Guarantee" schemes before with a hotel - my claim was rejected as the terms and conditions were not identical (hotel offered cancellation upto 6pm the day before check-in, the site I booked through it was upto 12pm the day before check-in) so I am quite aware of the possible pitfalls...the possible one in this case being that with BA's fare I can see the booking class, I, but with Carlton Leisure I cannot, not even if I go to the next page to pay and enter all my details etc.

So could BA say that they were unable to verify the booking class of the lower fare and as such reject my claim?
Old Apr 27, 17, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Here are all the details of BPG https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb.../price-promise
Old Apr 27, 17, 3:34 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Is it worth calling Carlton Leisure to confirm the booking class before purchasing?

Haven't used best price guarantee before but worth getting a formal readout in writing as BA will want to see this, and may use the fact they can't see the booking class on the screens you currently see to reject your claim.
Old Apr 27, 17, 3:41 am

Programs: BAEC: BRONZE (Basic member: KLM, Emirates, United)
Didn't know BA did such a thing. On sky scanner they are always the most expensive so always end up doing it through travel-up or whoever is cheapest. Never had a problem
Old Apr 27, 17, 3:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
I used the price match for the first time recently. I wanted to be able to UuA and earn the 3 avios per on my BA Amex and I always prefer to book directly if I can. I also thought I could cancel the booking within 24 hours if BA declined the price mactch.

In less than 24 hours BA agreed to price match and refunded the difference about a week later. No booking class was shown on the other website. As part of the process you are asked to take screenshots but these were never requested by BA.

I would be cautious if there is a big difference in cost as there is a risk BA can deny the price promise.
Old Apr 27, 17, 9:53 am

Programs: BA Gold
I remember a number of posts from a few years ago where BA denied the price promise on the basis of different booking classes, booking in a different currency than GBP, fares being no longer available (ridiculous, I know) and only agreeing to refund the difference after MCOL proceedings were initiated. This was certainly my experience.

Separately, I believe that at the time, BPG only applied to itineraries originating in the UK so you may want to check that in the T&Cs.
Old May 1, 17, 2:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
I booked the more expensive BA fare in the end and submitted my claim to the Best Price Guarantee form. Just had notification that it has been accepted and I'll be getting a refund of 103.

This was despite the cheaper price (via Carlton Leisure) not showing the exact booking class. which I thought could cause them to deny my claim. So pretty happy with that!
Old Oct 11, 17, 5:48 am

Programs: British Airways Silver, Tesco, BA Amex, Kris Flyer
BA.COM Best Price Guarantee

Has anyone contacted BA / received a refund on BA flights which are cheaper via a travel agent. I bought my flights directly (BA.COM) earlier today to find them 90 cheaper via a travel agent.

It is easier to cancel (within cooling off period) and book indirectly? Any thoughts / experience appreciated.
Old Oct 11, 17, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by the_seeker1977 View Post
Has anyone contacted BA / received a refund on BA flights which are cheaper via a travel agent. I bought my flights directly (BA.COM) earlier today to find them 90 cheaper via a travel agent.

It is easier to cancel (within cooling off period) and book indirectly? Any thoughts / experience appreciated.
There are numerous threads on this topic, which report mixed success with the price guarantee.

My personal opinion is that, unless you need to book directly with BA for whatever reason, just book with the agent and cancel the ba.com booking within the 24 hour cooling off period.
Old Oct 11, 17, 7:23 am

Programs: British Airways Silver, Tesco, BA Amex, Kris Flyer
Many thanks - I've just booked via the TA and cancelled BA.com, didn't see any point in trying to claim back the difference.

Cheers
Old Dec 25, 17, 11:09 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Emirates Skywards Plat , SAA Voyager Silver.
Just did my first price promise claim , I'm always cautious that a claim will be rejected , so i always book on the cheapest site. So this time i thought i would give it a go , for a few reasons. I found a CE fare online that was 2.88GBP cheaper then BA.com , i booked on ba.com as i could get 3x avios with my BA branded Amex card. Why try for a refund for 2 quid then , well wanted to see if the claim would be rejected or not while not gambling with a lot of money , how easy and smooth it went along with seeing if BA would price match the difference for two pound. Submitted it last night and got the email now that 2.88 has been refunded back to me !

Not bad at all and has installed confidence in me to try with more risker booking ( risker in the regard of higher price difference , meaning if it got rejected leaving me out of pocket ), so pretty happy !
Old Dec 25, 17, 1:12 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Flame3601 View Post
Just did my first price promise claim , I'm always cautious that a claim will be rejected , so i always book on the cheapest site. So this time i thought i would give it a go , for a few reasons. I found a CE fare online that was 2.88GBP cheaper then BA.com , i booked on ba.com as i could get 3x avios with my BA branded Amex card. Why try for a refund for 2 quid then , well wanted to see if the claim would be rejected or not while not gambling with a lot of money , how easy and smooth it went along with seeing if BA would price match the difference for two pound. Submitted it last night and got the email now that 2.88 has been refunded back to me !

Not bad at all and has installed confidence in me to try with more risker booking ( risker in the regard of higher price difference , meaning if it got rejected leaving me out of pocket ), so pretty happy !
Bear in mind the old adage that past performance is no indicator of future results. They key thing to remember is that the Best Price Guarantee will only work under certain fairly rigid conditions. If those conditions are met they you should succeed. If not, it will probably be rejected. I've had a couple of goes at this with Hilton over the years with a 50:50 success rate and I still can't understand why one of those failed but gave up pursuing it with them.
Old Dec 27, 17, 6:35 pm

Hi

does anyone know if flights sold on BA.com with BA flight numbers operated by Qatar Airways are in the scope of the BRG? Hard to tell from the ta and cs
Old Dec 27, 17, 6:57 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by ifu05596 View Post
Hi

does anyone know if flights sold on BA.com with BA flight numbers operated by Qatar Airways are in the scope of the BRG? Hard to tell from the ta and cs
The terms and conditions state that a Qualifying Flight means:
  1. a one-way or return point-to-point flight only booking from a Qualifying Country operated by British Airways (including BA Cityflyer and Comair), in any class; or
  2. a connecting flight where you have transferred from and are transferring to a flight operated by British Airways (including BA Cityflyer) where your departure country is a Qualifying Country, in any class where the stop-over period does not exceed 24 hours; or
  3. flights operated by OpenSkies; or
  4. a flight which is not operated by any of our partner airlines such as American Airlines, Iberia, Finnair and any others. See the full list of our partner airlines here.
Part 4 indicates that only flights not operated by partner airlines would qualify. Given that parts 1, 2, and 3 don't help you and that Qatar is a partner airline then I conclude that flights operated by Qatar would not qualify for the purposes of the Best Price Guarantee under the published terms and conditions.
Old Dec 28, 17, 4:24 am

Programs: BA Silver; LH FTL, IHG Spire; Radisson Gold; Marriott Silver; ALL Silver; Hertz 5*
Those published terms and conditions are inaccurate though: clause 1 excludes open-jaw bookings, but I successfully got a 50 refund on LHR-YYZ/LAX-LHR earlier this year. That wasn't a one-way or a return...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: