Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA offloads couple at Portuguese military base over business class row [LGW-KIN]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA offloads couple at Portuguese military base over business class row [LGW-KIN]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2017, 1:03 pm
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
But if you're (hypothetically) selfish/stupid enough to try on such a stunt, my suggestions for how the crew responds would make you think twice. Especially if warned that such overly disruptive behaviour could also lead to criminal charges and/or an emergency diversion for medical or security reasons....
Well that is exactly it. I don't try things like that because I know what airlines are like and that I sit in the seat I pay money for.

Same goes for everything in life most of the time. If you want to sit in business class, work hard, earn money and pay for it.

If you don't then buy an economy ticket and that's the deal.

I don't earn a lot of money, but I buy business class tickets because to me it makes my little time off that much more enjoyable when I go on vacation. I certainly don't expect free upgrades, free food and drinks when flying in economy and I accept that as part of the economy ticket I purchased.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 1:03 pm

Programs: VS, BA, HH Gold
New training?

One things for sure, this scenario will make for an interesting role play during future crew training days..
Old Apr 27, 2017, 1:12 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
They finally uploaded a video but it doesn't really show anything.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...BA-flight.html
Old Apr 27, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
They finally uploaded a video but it doesn't really show anything.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...BA-flight.html
Ill take a guess - the woman at the end is probably the 2nd person offloaded. And if she attempted to release him, which she is denying, it would explain a few things.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 1:43 pm

Let me chime in here. First here's the independent coverage:

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/british-airways-staff-forcibly-restrain-cancer-passenger-kwame-bantu-diabetes-london-jamaica-flight-a7705711.html

We are all just guessing here and from my albeit limited experience in detours and emergency landings the captain no matter what it was that happened wouldn't have made that decision lightly and most likely got approval from powers above. The costs involved in this are huge not to mention the PR nightmare.

I would like to ask a question though, with so many smartphones and cameras available why has nobody (crew) included documented and released the footage of the incident in J? I would think that a serious incident in J would spark at least a video out there... after all their are photos of crotches making it to TV!
Old Apr 27, 2017, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
The availability of a body-cam for CC could be useful in these cases.

Oh, Lord, what has Society become, that that thought entered my head
Old Apr 27, 2017, 1:52 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by rcdesign
I would like to ask a question though, with so many smartphones and cameras available why has nobody (crew) included documented and released the footage of the incident in J? I would think that a serious incident in J would spark at least a video out there... after all their are photos of crotches making it to TV!
Some people might have done but it's entirely possible that they have not released it to the media.

If I happen to have recorded something that may be of significance to someone/investigation, the media is not where I'd submit the evidence to, for instance.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 2:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by T8191
The availability of a body-cam for CC could be useful in these cases.

Oh, Lord, what has Society become, that that thought entered my head
While tending my economy customers today a mobile camera caught one of them sticking their tongue out at me when my attention was turned.

Old Apr 27, 2017, 2:29 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
I think its significant that Azores police saw nothing wrong with his actions and released him immediately.
Police doesn't enforce/resolve civil or contractual disputes, which this ultimately is. The fact that the cops released him tells you nothing other than that nobody pressed any charges that mandate arrest and that the police did not deem that the passenger committed any criminal offence worth prosecuting. That doesn't mean that the passenger was right in his actions.

Originally Posted by When I Travel The World
What If I wanted to also do that. I'm perfectly healthy ... i helped myself to a business class seat.
I know someone who actually tried that. Guy was sitting in Y on a 12H flight to god knows where. Fed up in Y, he (IIRC) first lay down in the aisle. At that point crew he was told by crew to get back to his seat. He insisted that he didn't feel well (don't know if true or not; don't care if true or not) and that they should put him in C to lie flat in the hopes that this will help.

The no by the CC certainly left him perplex and he rated the airline (one of the top 5) very poorly due to this event. Such behaviour IMO deserves a punch in the face.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY
While tending my economy customers today a mobile camera caught one of them sticking their tongue out at me when my attention was turned.

Tongue sticking out or tongue hanging out? She certainly seems to be interested in you
Old Apr 27, 2017, 2:50 pm

EU261/2004 claim?

Playing devils advocate here, slightly tongue in cheek...

I wonder if anyone would have the balls to query EU261 on this.

ie Was this level of physical treatment and subsequent divert an absolute necessity?

Was it within the control and management of BA to ensure they handled it appropriately and thus still allowed the aircraft to make it to KIN on time?

Would a judge rule that all UK airlines should react in the same manner for similar circumstances?
Old Apr 27, 2017, 3:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Currently in J waiting to take off to Dubai. Crew has just identified a self upgrader... off to the Azores I think.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 3:12 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by ScubaRoo
I wonder if anyone would have the balls to query EU261 on this.
You could always try but I'm pretty sure what BA is going to reply and you would've to take it to Court. Legally speaking, you would probably have a hard time explaining with this would be one of the scenarios described by EU261. Nobody has been downgraded. Strictly speaking the flight wasn't delayed or cancelled.

Even if you argue successfully that this is a case within the scope of the regulation, there's still the problem that BA could (IMO rightfully) argue that passenger behaviour is beyond their control and that the pilots have the authority to divert the plane if there is a safety or medical issue.

In this case, BA could legitimately put forward safety and medical reason to have diverted. On one hand, the passenger had to be tied into his seat, which tells me that said passenger was very likely posing a risk. You can say about BA what you want, but their crews don't strike me as overacting in these kinds of situations. On the other hand, said passenger had a medical problem midair. Those are legitimate reasons to divert to an airport.

Personally I doubt that you could successfully claim financial compensation from BA. But IANAL.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by Cymro
Currently in J waiting to take off to Dubai. Crew has just identified a self upgrader... off to the Azores I think.
Wishing you the very Best of British!
Old Apr 27, 2017, 4:02 pm

How awful

What's worse J and F are normally full with BA staff, just look at their twitter feeds. Yet a passenger in need is thrown off the plane. How can this ever be justified. Shame on BA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.