Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA offloads couple at Portuguese military base over business class row [LGW-KIN]

BA offloads couple at Portuguese military base over business class row [LGW-KIN]

Reply

Old Apr 27, 17, 9:21 am
  #91  
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Posts: 20,858
Originally Posted by meester69 View Post
Uh, wasn't the cheaper choice to leave him in CW without tying him up?
I suspect once he's become (reportedly) abusive, the problem became something beyond 'leave him in CW'.
LTN Phobia is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 17, 9:23 am
  #92  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sin, HKG
Programs: SQ, BA CCR GGL
Posts: 626
Originally Posted by Waterhorse View Post
If you had bothered to read my summary of the law relating to captains authority you would realise that your comments are incorrect and wholly irrelevant. Even if that were not the case, you do not have all the information given to the captain or what factors played in his or her decision to divert, nor what satcom conversations were held with BA management. So maybe, you know, you are talking BS.
With respect, which is more than you have shown to me, we both have the same information and have derived different opinions from that information which should not entitle you to believe your opinion warrants insulting me because my opinion differs from yours
Nuster is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 17, 9:24 am
  #93  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 271
Originally Posted by meester69 View Post
Uh, wasn't the cheaper choice to leave him in CW without tying him up? Rather than y'know diverting the flight and fubarring up everyone's holiday?
NO.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Apr 27, 17 at 9:48 am Reason: OP amended quote to align with FT rules - bring into line
twincheeks is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 17, 9:28 am
  #94  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sin, HKG
Programs: SQ, BA CCR GGL
Posts: 626
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer View Post
I'm sorry, but I really don't think I can explain it any more clearly. The decision to divert rather than continue to destination would have been based on a number of factors, as many others have also very eruditely outlined. One of those factors would have been the risk to other passengers. Another would have been the health impacts to the miscreant. It really seems very straightforward to me.
Ok but I have not seen from the information we have, that there was a risk to others. Perhaps there was although it doesnt look likely, in which case tying him up removed that rusk implying the plane diverted because of concern for the medical condition of the same person who was a risk to others. It seems contradictory but as others are sure to say, we were not there
Nuster is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 17, 9:40 am
  #95  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,314
Originally Posted by Nuster View Post
With respect, which is more than you have shown to me, we both have the same information and have derived different opinions from that information which should not entitle you to believe your opinion warrants insulting me because my opinion differs from yours
It is an odd thing that you felt, from the extremely limited information available that you were able to say that BA screwed up, yet then get upset when you feel you have not been shown respect? A more reasoned and reasonable action would have been to accept that you did not have sufficient information to make a rational judgement. As your opinion obviously differs not only from mine but also those who were on the spot with ALL the relevant information perhaps that does entitle me to say you are talking BS, that by the way was not an insult it was a comment on the quality of your posting, it was almost identical to the way you described how BA had acted when they, in your opinion, screwed up. If you feel insulted I suspect it has more to do with the fact that you feel your analysis was at best weak, and you know it.
Waterhorse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 17, 9:44 am
  #96  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sin, HKG
Programs: SQ, BA CCR GGL
Posts: 626
Originally Posted by Waterhorse View Post
It is an odd thing that you felt, from the extremely limited information available that you were able to say that BA screwed up, yet then get upset when you feel you have not been shown respect? A more reasoned and reasonable action would have been to accept that you did not have sufficient information to make a rational judgement. As your opinion obviously differs not only from mine but also those who were on the spot with ALL the relevant information perhaps that does entitle me to say you are talking BS, that by the way was not an insult it was a comment on the quality of your posting, it was almost identical to the way you described how BA had acted when they, in your opinion, screwed up. If you feel insulted I suspect it has more to do with the fact that you feel your analysis was at best weak, and you know it.
Read what I said "One might conclude". Over and out.
Nuster is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 17, 9:46 am
  #97  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: UK
Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Posts: 1,383
Whilst the Pilot's decision is Final, especially when there is anything to do with Safety concerned, I imagine that for a decision such as this, a call would have been made to BA HQ to let them know what her/his decision was.
Ancient Observer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 17, 9:50 am
  #98  
Senior Mod and Moderator: Aegean Miles&Bonus and British Airways
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Norwich, UK
Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Spire
Posts: 5,774
Folks, for the sake of peace, harmony and sensible discussion perhaps we might concentrate on the core subject rather than engage in a meta discussion between a handful of posters? Thanks.

/mod
NWIFlyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 17, 9:54 am
  #99  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: JER
Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Posts: 27,788
There are undoubtedly many, and some valid, views on this unfortunate incident. I have mine, some have others, which is the way of the World. However, lets all please be nice, eh?

No doubt more credible information will leak into the Media in due course. In the interim, I'm personally comfortable with the concept that the Crew (FD and CC) were unlikely to taken the actions they did unless there was significant justification.

If I am proven wrong, I shall abase myself before a Horse Lamp at LHR, or some lesser penance as the mood takes me at the time.
T8191 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 17, 9:54 am
  #100  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7,348
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer View Post
Whilst the Pilot's decision is Final, especially when there is anything to do with Safety concerned, I imagine that for a decision such as this, a call would have been made to BA HQ to let them know what her/his decision was.
That was my thought too. Indeed I wouldn't be surprised if "United" came up in that call - and it was decided that diverting was the least worst option.
Ldnn1 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 17, 9:55 am
  #101  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Puget Sound Area, WA
Posts: 6,530
Originally Posted by wrp96 View Post
Not to mention, if he really did have medical issues that meant he couldn't sit in his seat for the full flight, then if they had continued the transatlantic flight and something happened, the story would be "BA ignores medical issue brought to their attention."
Actually what ever transpired the guy was wrong. He was in a 14 hour flight with diabetes and cancer and after one hour in health distress? Poor judgement on his part as to his air-worthiness to fly.
david55 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 17, 9:58 am
  #102  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: JER
Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Posts: 27,788
Originally Posted by david55 View Post
Actually what ever transpired the guy was wrong. He was in a 14 hour flight with diabetes and cancer and after one hour in health distress? Poor judgement on his part as to his air-worthiness to fly.
IIRC, from personal experience, LGW-KIN is c. 10 hours. Don't believe everything you read in the Media!

As to his health , I will wait for a post-event medical report (unless anyone here has access to his medical records)
T8191 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 17, 10:13 am
  #103  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Posts: 8,150
Even though I am sure it made many passengers very unhappy to divert then head back to LGW I would trust a BA Captain of making the right decision in the circumstances with the information he or she had available at that time.

I am sure it would have been a very last resort to divert, land, have the passenger removed then head back to the UK.

BA have stated he repeatedly refused to move, verbally abused staff and that is crossing the line as no staff deserve to be verbally abused when they are at their work and on a 777 at 35,000 feet isn't the place to kick off. What went on in the plane no one knows yet other than those who were there or have knowledge of it in other ways.

BA can get things wrong at times but in this specific incident I would 100% put my trust in the decisions of the Captain/flight deck and the *CSD/CSM.

*whichever is correct
PETER01 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 17, 10:26 am
  #104  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: FDH (Friedrichshafen)
Programs: AAdvantage, BAEC, Avios, Alaska, SAS Eurobonus, DL Skymiles, IHG Priority, Best Western Rewards
Posts: 1,744
My guess is once he started playing the age/illness cards, they were so terrified of being sued if they left him in the restraints, they decided to get him off their hands quick smart, in the most super-cautious way possible.

Azores to Jamaica is what, 5 hours?

Imagine:

"Frail, helpless, elderly* man tied up for hours. Hospitalised on arrival."

That's what, 500 grand with the right ambulance chaser? Maybe they were mindful of the recent UA debacle.


* Try using these words to my 69-year-old mother! Good luck!
The_Bouncer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 17, 10:39 am
  #105  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In theory near BHD or ABZ, but usually a hotel in another country
Programs: Seniors Bus Pass, BA Silver
Posts: 4,882
Originally Posted by LondonCanuck View Post
dont think the Air Force spokesman knew the difference. If you have ever seen the inside of a military transporter, anything above BA Y is "First Class"...

interested to see how this story develops though!
I flew to Lajes once, one way only. In the back of said transport. Thanks for reminding me. Shrinks bill to follow

Left by boat, but not as shown above.
antichef is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread