Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA offloads couple at Portuguese military base over business class row [LGW-KIN]

BA offloads couple at Portuguese military base over business class row [LGW-KIN]

Old Apr 28, 17, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
I suspect as soon as the media get to hear the real facts behind the event (alcohol/drug/mental health problem) this story will disappear off the news and soon be forgotten. Rather like Flyertalk threads....
Old Apr 28, 17, 6:35 am

Programs: AAdvantage, BAEC, Avios, Alaska, SAS Eurobonus, DL Skymiles, IHG Priority, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
I suspect as soon as the media get to hear the real facts behind the event (alcohol/drug/mental health problem) this story will disappear off the news and soon be forgotten. Rather like Flyertalk threads....
I suspect you're right.
Old Apr 28, 17, 7:28 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: OW Sapphire (BA), *A Gold (A3), Le Club Accor Silver, HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
Emphasis mine.
What makes you think that the facts (and I do agree we do not have all of them) necessarily relate to alcohol, drug or mental health ?
Old Apr 28, 17, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by scillyisles View Post
Whilst the discussion is concentrating on the elderly male who was offloaded, I am struggling to understand and justify (based on the information we have) on how the unconnected woman was also deemed to be a danger to the plane when she was not restrained and by some reports was objecting to the manner of the elderly male's restraint. To offload someone for having concerns about how an elderly passenger was restrained and to voice those concerns,instinctively feels somewhat heavy handed.
My thoughts exactly.

(Sidenote: the media reports make Terceira sound like a complete dump! I'm looking forward to my voluntary trip to the Azores next month... )
Old Apr 28, 17, 7:43 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by SwissBritMiss View Post
(Sidenote: the media reports make Terceira sound like a complete dump! I'm looking forward to my voluntary trip to the Azores next month... )
I assure you it is not a dump. Angra do Heroísmo is fascinating colonial town, with many interesting historical sights, 9 convents for 34,000 people, bars and cafés. A great place to visit, and decent weather is pretty much guaranteed.
Old Apr 28, 17, 7:43 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC, IHG, HH, AZ MilleMiglia, Amex Platinum
I'm on a flight and WiFi is good enough to post, but not enough to read the whole thread so I apologise in advance if someone already posted this source.
The article has some details about the 2 passengers involved and the incident.
I'm sure more will come to this story but based on this reading, BA could have probably handled the situation better.

Here I quote:

He was making the 14-hour flight to see family in Jamaica.

British Airways also reportedly kicked off Joy Stoney, a Yorkshire-based businesswoman who was trying to help Bantu.

She said that staff told the sick man to ‘defecate in his seat’ if he needed to use the facilities.

Bantu claims that British Airways tied him up, humiliated him and was bound so tightly his blood stopped circulating.

Stoney, 40, saw how staff dragged the man by neck after asking how much a first class ticket costs.

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2017/04/27/british-airways-kicked-man-with-cancer-off-flight-after-he-asked-for-an-upgrade-6601171/#ixzz4fYDhVcAL
Old Apr 28, 17, 7:59 am

Programs: BA GGL
Just to provide some context to this thread -

I was on the 271 to LAS yesterday in F. The seatbelt sign was on for much of the flight. I didn't think much of it but when we landed the pilot asked us all to stay in our seats while a couple of passengers were arrested by the police. (It looked to me like 4 in the end.) The captain popped into F and explained to us that amongst other things they allegedly started trying to smoke on board the plane, and were very rude and abusive to other passengers. He'd apparently kept the seatbelt signs on for much of the flight to try and control the situation.

Interesting counterpoint to the story above, and shows that in a lot of cases BA does its best not to divert.
Old Apr 28, 17, 8:25 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze; HHonors; ClubCarlson
Originally Posted by ObserverA3 View Post
Again, not suggesting BA did anything wrong, but puzzled as to why BA don't put out their side of the story.
BA released a press statement which seemed fair enough. I don't see why they should be expected to issue a blow by blow account, especially as the media is always going to slant stories in favour of the individual against the corporate.
Old Apr 28, 17, 8:51 am

Programs: Bronze, Some red card and some hotel cards.
Originally Posted by WorldLux View Post
If passenger will change their game, then so will the airline and go after each and every passenger that delays an aircraft or forces them to divert because that passenger was drunk and/or unruly.
I know Jet2 would/does... £10,000 at least per passenger.....
Old Apr 28, 17, 9:43 am
In Memoriam

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
I'm a traveller with cancer. Funnily enough I wrote about feeling "a sense of entitlement" because of the illness.

While there's not a chance of me crossing the line into a higher class of travel I "sort of" get the mindset that could expect it. I certainly don't defend it though.

https://travelinhopeblog.wordpress.c...f-entitlement/

For me, sitting down is uncomfortable. The bone damage I've suffered means two hours sat make it painful to stand up again and it takes more than a moment to get to my feet as my spine doesn't support in the way it used to. Moving about on short haul flights with trolleys permanently on the move isn't really convenient. I'd have thought it to be much easier on a long haul 777. For me the guy was out of order even wandering into business class. He didn't have to.

I've got flights to Boston, Santiago and Sydney lined up. I've blown the kids' inheritance on better seating. It's strange how the drive to accrue Avios still exists and continues despite a terminal diagnosis after you've made the decision to blow them all on transatlantic first class.
Old Apr 28, 17, 9:44 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by SonTech View Post
I know Jet2 would/does... £10,000 at least per passenger.....
Yes, but most airlines probably won't bother. Even if you have a good case and could easily win a trial, there's still the issue of the passenger having to pay. If he has some money, you'll spend years getting it back. If he doesn't have a nickel, it's going to be rather difficult.
Old Apr 28, 17, 10:55 am

Programs: BA GGL (90% to Lifetime Gold), SPG convert from IHG (and Marriott hater now!)
Originally Posted by flygirl68 View Post
P.S. Any passenger restrained in J would be moved back as we cannot secure the feet to the seat in front in J.
An indisputable involuntary downgrade

I'll always give crew benefit of the doubt when restraining a passenger in-flight, given the seriousness and the fact they presumably don't want to be manhandling people (not insignificant risk of injury to themselves).
Old Apr 28, 17, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by PeacefulWaters View Post
I'm a traveller with cancer. Funnily enough I wrote about feeling "a sense of entitlement" because of the illness.

While there's not a chance of me crossing the line into a higher class of travel I "sort of" get the mindset that could expect it. I certainly don't defend it though.

Thanks for posting that, and best wishes for 'whatever transpires'.

That post, and your blog, helps the rest of us focus on 'reality'.
Old Apr 28, 17, 11:53 am

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Originally Posted by PJSMITH0 View Post
If he did have cancer and was at risk of DVT then he should of either booked an extra leg room seat or stumped up the money for club. If he couldn't afford this then tough luck he shouldn't of flown. Well done to the crew for moving him.

Maybe he should have, or maybe the risk was still a low one and he didn't expect to need the space. Just like the rest of us, we're all at risk of DVT, should no-one ever fly economy? Is your position that anyone who ever flies economy and falls ill should not perhaps be moved to a more comfortable position, because 'tough luck'?

It seems to me that we don't really know what happened and which side is being misrepresented, I am sure one is. It does trouble me that a stranger got involved and tried to help, that wouldn't generally be the case with a real 'troublemaker'.
Old Apr 28, 17, 11:55 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by PeacefulWaters View Post

For me, sitting down is uncomfortable. The bone damage I've suffered means two hours sat make it painful to stand up again and it takes more than a moment to get to my feet as my spine doesn't support in the way it used to. Moving about on short haul flights with trolleys permanently on the move isn't really convenient. I'd have thought it to be much easier on a long haul 777. For me the guy was out of order even wandering into business class. He didn't have to.

I've got flights to Boston, Santiago and Sydney lined up. I've blown the kids' inheritance on better seating. It's strange how the drive to accrue Avios still exists and continues despite a terminal diagnosis after you've made the decision to blow them all on transatlantic first class.
A very honest account of the emotional conflict you feel and thanks for sharing it.

I recently recovered from Bell's Palsy and labyrinthitis and that alone was debilitating, and hard enough for me to deal with. I really needed the support of others around me, so with so much more on your plate it is understandable and only human to maybe feel a desire to be looked after too.

Search this Thread