Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Masterclass in Mis-managing IRROPS (LGW-JFK)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Masterclass in Mis-managing IRROPS (LGW-JFK)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2017, 4:19 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by xenole
The first time I had a cancelled flight, I had no idea what to do.
I just rang my travel insurance company up assuming they would sort things out for me then and there but I had to sort things out myself and then claim later.

I'm sure most people would assume the airline would deal with things if something goes wrong rather than being expected to do everything yourself.

Not everyone has Ł10k+ limits like a lot of people have here.
Maybe funds and already allocated to something or are due to be i.e. car hire, hotels taking Ł150 a night as a security deposit that doesn't get returned for 1-3 weeks etc.
A lot of people may be happier with cash so may be carrying that (or in the bank) rather than on a card.

It does give the impression here from various posters that the airline is actually doing you a favour by possibly letting you fly. If something goes wrong, it's always your fault and you should be prepared for the consequences.
Well, no I don't think anyone is implying that.

What has been said is that a less stressful outcome might be arrived at if you take some action yourself rather than waiting on the airline to do it.

Given there are potentially 220+ passengers to rebook, arrange a hotel for, etc., and there are clearly not going to be dozens of agents just waiting for IRROPS to happen, there are always going to be some passengers who have to wait for hours and potentially do not get the best service from the airline.

This is a frequent flyer board where knowledge is shared to ensure that you aren't the person left at the back of the line. It is really entirely up to travellers as to how much they wish to educate themselves about this type of thing. For those who choose to fly ignorant, and get caught up on the wrong end of IRROPS, they may decide to check what their rights are, research what has happened to other travellers, etc. before flying next time.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by V10
One of the less palatable aspects of this forum as far as I am concerned is the assumption that all travellers know exactly what to do in these situations, and that they have the means (financial and other) to take matters in their own hands. It's far too easy to ascribe the capabilities and means available to frequent and experienced travellers (largely in premium cabins) to 100% of people who turn up at an airport in order to travel.

Even less palatable is the unwritten view undoubtably held by some that people who can't or won't deal with this themselves for financial or other reasons shouldn't be travelling at all.
Spot on.

Some people think that new posters genuinely raising issues of unacceptably poor behaviour by BA is somehow tedious, particularly when they don't manage to do it in an utterly unemotional & objective manner.

But what's really tedious is lots of expert seasoned travellers self-congratulatorily telling each other what they would've done in the situation.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 4:33 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Spot on.

Some people think that new posters genuinely raising issues of unacceptably poor behaviour by BA is somehow tedious, particularly when they don't manage to do it in an utterly unemotional & objective manner.

But what's really tedious is lots of expert seasoned travellers self-congratulatorily telling each other what they would've done in the situation.
Quite agree. I've been dumped at the back of a queue of 300 people from a cancelled widebody in a foreign country at 4 in the morning with no money or knowledge of the area, or hotels, or my rights and had to throw myself at the mercy of the airline staff for support, hotel, food, rebooking etc. As an experienced traveller.

I've always been well looked after by BA for Irrops, it one of their saving graces in my opinion, but this story makes me feel very uncomfortable, as I don't know if it's an unlucky one off or genuine 'enhancement'. Might sound ridiculous, but if you reduce the number of support staff available (particularly late), the amount authorised to spend on hotels for customers is reduced (thus fewer hotel contracts and fewer places to put people up) then small money saving schemes can massively impact IRROPS passengers.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
In all of this thread, the thing that upset me most was the fact that a young woman and her disabled mother were apparently crying without a hotel room stuck in LGW. Probably they had no idea what EU261 or duty of care means...
I agree that is a very moving aspect and your frustration about this is very understandable. The way this situation was handled after the flight was cancelled does not reflect well on BA.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 5:21 am

Perhaps it would help if they made an announcement stating that you are welcome to make your own hotel booking for <Ł200 and to contact the BA call centre to rebook your flight from either LGW or LHR for the following day. They would probably find the queue would halve immediately leaving only those with more complicated requirements or no local knowledge/non English speakers. The reason they don't? Presumably they'd rather you queued for 4 hours so they can try (& fail) to find you a room in the Premier Inn for Ł50!

Kind of sums up BA's attitude these days; take the Ł50 saving today & deal with the lost customers & bad PR tomorrow. Not really a sustainable business model in the long term!
Old Apr 27, 2017, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by TabTraveller
One might suggest that ascribing terms such as "ordeal" to what took place is equally unhelpful, given that you were presumably also not there?
Have you never experienced a flight cancellation?

I have, twice. And I think 'ordeal' pretty well describes how it feels - certainly when BA is handling it.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 5:26 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by mda03jb
Perhaps it would help if they made an announcement stating that you are welcome to make your own hotel booking for <Ł200 and to contact the BA call centre to rebook your flight from either LGW or LHR for the following day. They would probably find the queue would halve immediately leaving only those with more complicated requirements or no local knowledge/non English speakers. The reason they don't? Presumably they'd rather you queued for 4 hours so they can try (& fail) to find you a room in the Premier Inn for Ł50!

Kind of sums up BA's attitude these days; take the Ł50 saving today & deal with the lost customers & bad PR tomorrow. Not really a sustainable business model in the long term!
Yes I spend quite a lot of time telling my friends things about flying such as

1. here are your rights about flying, make sure you know them in case things go wrong
2. No, Ryanair is not more likely to crash because it is cheaper.
(people actually think Ryanair is cheaper because they do less maintenance on their planes = ) )

And now I am really worried many of the passengers will not claim for EU261 in this case (their 600 EUR apiece). Airlines should give it proactively.
I should not have to 'fill in a claim form' just go get money I am entitled to because of an airlines failing!
Old Apr 27, 2017, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by bafan
Have you never experienced a flight cancellation?

I have, twice. And I think 'ordeal' pretty well describes how it feels - certainly when BA is handling it.
Plenty. And I don't think any could be fairly described as an "ordeal". Some were perhaps lengthy and/or could have been handled better. But ordeals they were not.

It's only really an ordeal if you have a victim mentality and sit on your arse not taking any action.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 5:57 am

Plenty. And I don't think any could be fairly described as an "ordeal". Some were perhaps lengthy and/or could have been handled better. But ordeals they were not.

It's only really an ordeal if you have a victim mentality and sit on your arse not taking any action.
Are you seriously joking me now? If you have no knowledge of flying and are 80 and disabled, you are playing the victim becuase BA cancelled your flights due to their own operational fault and on top of that refuse to give you a hotel room?
This is not a matter of BA cancelling the flight, it is a matter of the flight being cancelled and BA being completely neglectful to its own passengers!
Old Apr 27, 2017, 5:58 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

What nonsense. BA said they'd book hotels for everyone, then backed out. As has been said, not everyone has phones that work in the UK, credit cards etc.

My worst experience of BA irrops was being diverted to DUB, left on the plane for 2.5 hours before it was cancelled, and then left to fend for ourselves. There were plenty of upset people there - mostly supposedly connecting to other services at LHR, which they would now not make.

Trying to find anyone who knew anything was a nightmare. I became a bit of a 'leader' for a while, with people following me around as we tried to get somebody to accept a bit of responsibility.

I eventually gave up. and booked an EI flight back to MAN leaving all the other poor buggers behind. I've no idea if they ever managed to get hotels - but I doubt it. The flight eventually went back to LHR 3 days after diverting (snow at LHR). I can still remember the 4 women in front of me at check-in being excited about their Nile cruise...

Of course, BA blamed the weather and wouldn't refund me the €230 it cost for the EI flight.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
What nonsense. BA said they'd book hotels for everyone, then backed out. As has been said, not everyone has phones that work in the UK, credit cards etc.

My worst experience of BA irrops was being diverted to DUB, left on the plane for 2.5 hours before it was cancelled, and then left to fend for ourselves. There were plenty of upset people there - mostly supposedly connecting to other services at LHR, which they would now not make.

Trying to find anyone who knew anything was a nightmare. I became a bit of a 'leader' for a while, with people following me around as we tried to get somebody to accept a bit of responsibility.

I eventually gave up. and booked an EI flight back to MAN leaving all the other poor buggers behind. I've no idea if they ever managed to get hotels - but I doubt it. The flight eventually went back to LHR 3 days after diverting (snow at LHR). I can still remember the 4 women in front of me at check-in being excited about their Nile cruise...

Of course, BA blamed the weather and wouldn't refund me the €230 it cost for the EI flight.
Right - you didn't sit on your arse, did something about it and got home. Hurrah. Right move.

If the sheep following you around are still wandering the perimeter of DUB then they really only have themselves to blame.

One can argue as to whether BA should have sorted this out sooner or better. The fact remains that those who sit there expecting BA to nanny them are going to be occasionally disappointed.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:14 am

Right - you didn't sit on your arse, did something about it and got home. Hurrah. Right move.

If the sheep following you around are still wandering the perimeter of DUB then they really only have themselves to blame.

One can argue as to whether BA should have sorted this out sooner or better. The fact remains that those who sit there expecting BA to nanny them are going to be occasionally disappointed.
What do you mean right move? DYKIA lost 230 EUR by doing so!
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
What do you mean right move? DYKIA lost 230 EUR by doing so!
For which travel insurance would cover most, if not all.

Given a choice between sitting in DUB and spending €230 to get home I know what I'd be doing anyway.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:19 am

Given a choice between sitting in DUB and spending €230 to get home I know what I'd be doing anyway.
What travel insurance? lol i bet you 80% of flyers don't have it and don't tell me that 'they should have taken out travel insurance'.

You have a contract of carriage with the airline and it is up to them to look after you, not some glorified travel insurance company trying to make money off you!
It is BA who breached their contract, not the passenger!
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:31 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Actually, the vast majority of travel insurance does not cover recovery costs, so would not have helped in DYKWIA's situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.