Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways silver - the 4 eligible flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

British Airways silver - the 4 eligible flights?

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2019, 6:50 pm

Hi guys, so I don't currently have any status with BA.
However I'm probably going to pickup 560 tp by flying to BKK with Qatar and crediting it to BAEC.
As I haven't flown any BA flights for years, I understand I need to also fly 4 BA cash flights to obtain Silver.
I'm hoping that these additional flights (when combined with the Qatar flight tp tally) will take me to at least 600 tp in total.
Now, my question is, can I book; pay and fly the BA flights some time after the Qatar flights and pickup the silver status at that point? i.e. will the 560 tp from the Qatar flights 'sit in a bank' waiting to be activated?
If yes, would a cheap/short return journey (such as LHR to INV) immediately activate bronze, and then if I book a further return flight flight of that kind a bit later, this would then activate the silver?

Any guidance appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Old May 27, 2019, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Yes the tier points will remain in your account until the end of your membership year when they will be zeroed out.

Once you have the 2 BA qualified flights you will become bronze and when you get the other 2 you will become silver. Again this would need to be within your current membership year i.e. the year in which you earned the 560. Though your status extends to the end of the month after your membership year ends.

There are several short return flights in addition to INV you could take such as LON-AMS.
Old May 27, 2019, 9:09 pm

You do not need 4 BA flights. Flights on IB, Comair Sunair or any BA codeshare such as EI if on BA code will count. IF you book your QR flights as a BA codeshare you will become instant Bronze and 40 Tier points later Silver.
Aston100 likes this.
Old May 27, 2019, 10:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
@Aston100 - you’re probably well aware (in which case, apologies), but - given the different mentions here of ‘instant’ and ‘immediately’ - it might be worth reiterating that all required qualifying sectors must actually be flown before the relevant status / status upgrade is triggered.
Old May 28, 2019, 1:43 am

Please disregard the below, as the bonus mentioned doesn't apply to QR flights.

One other thing to bear in mind, which may or may not impact on when you decide to do your 4 BA flights, is that you get a 25% base Avios bonus for Bronze.

Assuming you first did 4x QR flights, with say a week at your destination, your TP balance would be 140, 280 <destination> 420, 560. You’d only “hit” Silver after your third flight, but as this is a transfer in Doha and there is usually at least a few days delay in crediting, you’d only really have Silver after your long haul QR flights are over. You’d therefore get the 50% Silver bonus Avios for the 4 flights, but as these sound like they are short haul, that may not add up to much.

By contrast, if you could fit in at least some of your four flights before your QR trip, sufficient to accrue at least 20TP, your TP balance would be: 20TP, 160TP, 300TP when you arrive at your destination. If you were staying there a week, your status would have updated to Bronze, so your return long haul QR flights would earn 25% bonus Avios.

Obviously, this depends entirely on how flexible you are about those four flights. If you need to make them anyhow, and that is after your QR flights, it probably isn’t worth worrying about for the relatively small bonus. On the other hand, if you are making a short haul trip or two for “fun”/primarily to accrue the extra TP, you might have the flexibility to do these before your QR trip. It will also depend on the relative cost of flights, of course - there isn’t much point paying say Ł400+ for very short notice flights simply to rack up 20TP before your QR trip, if doing it 3 months later is < Ł100 and you’ve got that flexibility.

Last edited by squawk; May 28, 2019 at 3:20 am
Old May 28, 2019, 2:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by squawk
One other thing to bear in mind, which may or may not impact on when you decide to do your 4 BA flights, is that you get a 25% base Avios bonus for Bronze.

Assuming you first did 4x QR flights, with say a week at your destination, your TP balance would be 140, 280 <destination> 420, 560. You’d only “hit” Silver after your third flight, but as this is a transfer in Doha and there is usually at least a few days delay in crediting, you’d only really have Silver after your long haul QR flights are over. You’d therefore get the 50% Silver bonus Avios for the 4 flights, but as these sound like they are short haul, that may not add up to much.

By contrast, if you could fit in at least some of your four flights before your QR trip, sufficient to accrue at least 20TP, your TP balance would be: 20TP, 160TP, 300TP when you arrive at your destination. If you were staying there a week, your status would have updated to Bronze, so your return long haul QR flights would earn 25% bonus Avios.

Obviously, this depends entirely on how flexible you are about those four flights. If you need to make them anyhow, and that is after your QR flights, it probably isn’t worth worrying about for the relatively small bonus. On the other hand, if you are making a short haul trip or two for “fun”/primarily to accrue the extra TP, you might have the flexibility to do these before your QR trip. It will also depend on the relative cost of flights, of course - there isn’t much point paying say Ł400+ for very short notice flights simply to rack up 20TP before your QR trip, if doing it 3 months later is < Ł100 and you’ve got that flexibility.
Note that QR flights are not eligible for Avios tier bonus.
Old May 28, 2019, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by wilsnunn
Note that QR flights are not eligible for Avios tier bonus.
Very good point @wilsnunn - and a rookie error on my part. Clearly had insufficient coffee when posting this morning. I'll edit my first post to reflect this, so people aren't misled.
Old May 28, 2019, 5:58 am

Thanks for the replies people.

Are there any tips on when is a good time (and when is a good route) to pickup the last 40 tp from 2 return flights?
When I did a quick look for LHR-AMS the prices were nearer Ł200 pp on days & times that were convenient for me.
I would ideally want to take advantage of a visit to the destination, rather than just stepping off and back on to the same aircraft at AMS. Hence am open to other destinations that are cheap and a convenient distance for a long weekend.
BHX is my nearest airport, but I can fly from MAN or anything in London (preferably LCY if possible).
Thanks.
Old May 28, 2019, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Aston100
Are there any tips on when is a good time (and when is a good route) to pickup the last 40 tp from 2 return flights?
Before the end of your current membership year, and at least a week or so before you actually have any need to use your Silver status (including free seat pre-allocation on future bookings, if/when you make any).

If you are a brand-new member, rather than simply an existing member who's never earned a higher-tier status, there could be some implications flowing from when you first credit a flight to BAEC. But I am not an expert in this, and in any event it sounds like your QR flight dates are probably now fixed, in which case there's nothing much you can do about that anyway.

Otherwise, I can't immediately think of any particular time constraints. There is no longer any such thing as earning it too early, unlike in the previous system when your membership year reset on earning a higher status. And status is simply a tool for future flying, not an achievement or a badge of merit, so there's no virtue in having status in itself.
Aston100 likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Silver, Hertz President's Club
I'm not an expert with TP collection. However, I've also earned 560TP off a set of flights this year with Cathay Pacific. Some tips I've found recently and how I got my four flights:

- It depends on what your usual style of travel is. For me, it's the cheapest thing in Y with a Oneworld airline regardless of connections unless there is an astoundingly good deal in a premium cabin.
- I also don't like to do flights just for the sake of TP unless it's positioning. For me, it's a waste - I try to leverage free stopovers or the (up to) 24hr 'connection'.
- BA did an offer recently which was 5,000 Avios for Ł100 off a WT/WT+ fare. I used that to get a sub-Ł180 R/T to JFK. It's good value for mileage flown, but not brilliant for TP collection (I got 40TP, Ł4+/tp).
- I'm doing an upcoming day trip to VCE. Ł109 for 45TP (Y out, J in). Again - not brilliant for TP value but both places make for interesting places to visit, and short trips.
Old May 28, 2019, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
A question about the end of the membership year vs. the end of that month.

My membership year ends 1/8/20. I will not have requalified for Silver or even Bronze by that point (no BA revenue flights in 2019). I will be in Europe the third week of January. If I pick up my four BA/IB segments that week, and then pick up the rest of my 600 TP in the next couple of months (mostly flying AA), does that still count? Or do I have to wait until February 1 to start to pick up my four segments, which means that I'd have to do it when I come back to Europe a few months later?
My transatlantic flights are on VS PE to help towards my primary status which is DL Platinum, BA Silver is my back-up status so I don't mind not having it for a couple of months as I'll just avoid AA during that period unless I'm flying domestic J.
Old May 28, 2019, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
My membership year ends 1/8/20. I will not have requalified for Silver or even Bronze by that point (no BA revenue flights in 2019). I will be in Europe the third week of January. If I pick up my four BA/IB segments that week, and then pick up the rest of my 600 TP in the next couple of months (mostly flying AA), does that still count? Or do I have to wait until February 1 to start to pick up my four segments, which means that I'd have to do it when I come back to Europe a few months later?
On the assumption that you mean 8 January 2020 (all membership years end on the 8th of a month), then any flights you take that are scheduled to depart on 9 January 2020 local time will count towards status in your new year. So in the third week of January, you will be fine: all those flights will count for the 2020/21 membership year. If you do four BA/IB flights that week, then all you will need for Silver is to clock up the rest of the 600 TPs on any airline by 8 January 2021.
Old May 28, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
A question about the end of the membership year vs. the end of that month.

My transatlantic flights are on VS PE to help towards my primary status which is DL Platinum, BA Silver is my back-up status so I don't mind not having it for a couple of months as I'll just avoid AA during that period unless I'm flying domestic J.
You'll start earning towards your new year from the 9th January (assuming you meant 8th January 2020). As soon as you get your 600 TP's and 4 qualifying flights, you'll keep your silver status until 2022.
Old May 28, 2019, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
On the assumption that you mean 8 January 2020 (all membership years end on the 8th of a month), then any flights you take that are scheduled to depart on 9 January 2020 local time will count towards status in your new year. So in the third week of January, you will be fine: all those flights will count for the 2020/21 membership year.
Sorry yes, I forgot that I'm not in a North American-focused forum!!

My plan is:
January 8, 2020: Status ends
January 10: Arrive in London on VS
January 13-16: Do four cheap IB/BA segments to get away from January in London
February/March: Pick up 580 TP doing mostly transcon US AA domestic J flights. Enjoy 22 more months of BA Silver and repeat in 2022 unless they gut the program by then.
stephenjc likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Remember that you will still enjoy the silver status benefits until the card expires ( end of Feb for a Jan 8th status year expiry) including AA lounge access in the US when flying AA.

Regards

TBS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.