Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways silver - the 4 eligible flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

British Airways silver - the 4 eligible flights?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2022, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jfkeze
Sorry for refreshing an older thread... and a bit of cross posting from a fare on AS in Premium Fares...

From the BA Forum Post 91 (2020 data)
Eligible flights include any ones which are BA operated or marketed. which makes sense based upon this data point from BA site
Eligible flights are defined as those flights marketed or operated by British Airways and those flights marketed and operated by Iberia.

But then in the T&Cs, Point 6 Recognition

Members must ensure they take at least 2 flights operated and marketed by British Airways during each Tier Point Collection Year in addition to obtaining either the required number of Tier Points or completing the required number of eligible flights. In order to achieve or retain Silver or Gold status Members must ensure they take at least four flights operated by British Airways during each Tier Point Collection Year in addition to obtaining the required number of Tier Points.

So do codeshares marketed by BA (lets say on AA metal) count or don't count towards the 4 flights?
From Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2021 edition
02 What is a qualifying flight?

Examples of criteria used to determine a qualifying flight:
BA operated + BA flight prefix
BA operated + other flight prefix
Other carrier operated + BA flight prefix
IB operated + IB flight prefix
jfkeze likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Stoat
Am I correct in assuming that LHR to Doha flown by Qatar with BA flight number BA7008 is an eligible flight for status purposes?
Could you please confirm if that flight indeed counted for status qualification? That way there will be no lingering doubts in my mind.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by MaxVO
Could you please confirm if that flight indeed counted for status qualification? That way there will be no lingering doubts in my mind.
I doubt that the poster had any problem if the flight was booked under the BA codeshare. To add to Mwenenzi's post, from britishairways.com:
Eligible flights are defined as those flights marketed or operated by British Airways and those flights marketed and operated by Iberia.
  • 'Marketed' means the flight will have a BA flight number (in your itinerary or on your ticket).
  • 'Operated' means the aircraft that you travel on is a British Airways aircraft (including franchises and BACityflyer).
  • 'Marketed and operated by Iberia' means the flight will have an IB flight number and the aircraft you travel on is an Iberia aircraft (including franchises).
Reward bookings and agency or industry discounted bookings are not eligible.
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ut-tier-points
Mwenenzi and KARFA like this.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
I doubt that the poster had any problem if the flight was booked under the BA codeshare. To add to Mwenenzi's post, from britishairways.com:
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ut-tier-points
That link pertains to eligibility for Tier Points. As jfkeze found out (Post 105), status qualifying segments come with separate requirements. So one or more actual DPs would be preferable to guesses.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
That link pertains to eligibility for Tier Points. As jfkeze found out (Post 105), status qualifying segments come with separate requirements. So one or more actual DPs would be preferable to guesses.
Ok, well I'm not guessing, I've actually achieved BA status gold (pre-covid, status has been extended since) with one of my four eligible flights being a BA codeshare of another OW member flight on two occasions (AA and QR).

The link I provided is not just about earning tier points (if that was true, it would just stop when listing the amounts); it provides both the tier point requirements and also lists the eligible flight requirements.

The BAEC t and c's in several places use loose terminology that does not seem to be consistent with the requirements that BAEC otherwise applies. The four eligible flights requirements as listed in the Guide and in the link I provided have been applied consistently for quite a number of years; I cannot remember someone posting that they were not able to apply a BA marketed flight as an eligible flight. But if you are concerned, you should just choose fly another BA marketed and operated flight to satisfy the requirement.
KARFA likes this.

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Feb 11, 2022 at 10:06 pm
Old Feb 11, 2022, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
... I've actually achieved BA status gold (pre-covid, status has been extended since) with one of my four eligible flights being a BA codeshare of another OW member flight on two occasions (AA and QR).
Thanks for the DP, it's very good to know!
Old Feb 12, 2022, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
So one or more actual DPs would be preferable to guesses.
We are not guessing here. This information has also come directly to the board from the official BAEC representative (although it was very, very many years ago now).
MaxVO and KARFA like this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 1:06 pm

Very grateful if someone might be able to advise me on the following:

The return leg of my trip to the US was meant to be BNA-ORD-LHR. The BNA-ORD flight was with AA booked under a BA codeshare flight number; ORD-LHR was with BA. As I understand it, both flights should have credited as 'eligible flights' for tier status purposes (and this is indeed what happened on my outbound flights which were both AA but booked under a BA codeshare).

Yesterday the ORD-LHR flight was cancelled and I was rebooked onto BNA-JFK-LHR, all on AA flights and booked under AA flight numbers. I was concerned these wouldn't be 'eligible flights' as above, as this leg should take me from Bronze to Silver. I tried to call BA three or four times, but kept being cut off. As the flights are so soon (tomorrow, 3 April) and I didn't want to be stranded in Nashville, I accepted the booking online. Today I finally got through to BA and asked if they could change the booking to the BA codeshare numbers and/or whether they could be credited as BA flights in any case.

The agent, having spoken to the back-end team, essentially blamed me and told me that I should not have accepted these flights. I told him that no other options were offered online and I couldn't get through to speak on the phone. He said he could make the booking change but there would be a change fee and he couldn't waive this. He told me I could try to claim for it after the flights, but wasn't very encouraging about the likelihood of them being credited. There was no sympathy at all.

Does anyone have any experience of/advice regarding this sort of situation? Surely they could (and should) have rebooked me under a BA codeshare? It's very frustrating because I've experienced four sets of cancellations/rebookings on this itinerary now, and there seems to be no sense from BA of how much this has all inconvenienced me. Thanks very much in advance.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 3:16 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Chris1200
Does anyone have any experience of/advice regarding this sort of situation? Surely they could (and should) have rebooked me under a BA codeshare? It's very frustrating because I've experienced four sets of cancellations/rebookings on this itinerary now, and there seems to be no sense from BA of how much this has all inconvenienced me. Thanks very much in advance.
If this happens again, try and reach out to the BA forum first. Unfortunately this is a well known aspect of rebooking, you are only allowed one go at it, in essence, so the advice is correct at that level but obviously it should have been handled sympathetically. But if you want a rebook again then usually there is a refare cost involved. BAEC have been known to take an indulgent view to the various rules if there have been irrops on your travel plans, and though that doesn't give you security at this remove, that is the other thing that can happen.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If this happens again, try and reach out to the BA forum first. Unfortunately this is a well known aspect of rebooking, you are only allowed one go at it, in essence, so the advice is correct at that level but obviously it should have been handled sympathetically. But if you want a rebook again then usually there is a refare cost involved. BAEC have been known to take an indulgent view to the various rules if there have been irrops on your travel plans, and though that doesn't give you security at this remove, that is the other thing that can happen.
Thanks! I totally get that, but I guess I thought the circumstances were somewhat exceptional as this was the only rebooking option offered online and when I tried to call them the line just kept being cut off. I didn't feel I had much choice but to accept given the proximity of the flights. It also just surprised me that they booked me on the AA flight numbers when it's a BA booking, rather than using the BA codeshare (as they did with my original booking). That must be abnormal, right?

If anyone has any experience of getting such a flight to credit as 'BA marketed' for tier earning purposes, I'd love to know!
Old Apr 3, 2022, 1:37 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Originally Posted by Chris1200
Very grateful if someone might be able to advise me on the following:

The return leg of my trip to the US was meant to be BNA-ORD-LHR. The BNA-ORD flight was with AA booked under a BA codeshare flight number; ORD-LHR was with BA. As I understand it, both flights should have credited as 'eligible flights' for tier status purposes (and this is indeed what happened on my outbound flights which were both AA but booked under a BA codeshare).
Can you apply for Original Routing Credit? In other words get BA to give you the TP and Avios for the original flights ie BNA-ORD-LHR rather than for the flights you will actually take?

That way the flights would all be on BA numbers and therefore qualify as eligible flights.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by AJA_
Can you apply for Original Routing Credit? In other words get BA to give you the TP and Avios for the original flights ie BNA-ORD-LHR rather than for the flights you will actually take?

That way the flights would all be on BA numbers and therefore qualify as eligible flights.
Thanks! Will definitely have a go.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 7:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, etc. etc.
I ran into a related situation a couple of years ago. I was flying FCO-PHL-ORD on AA in I class with BA flight numbers. Upon checking in at FCO I was asked if I wouldn't mind taking the non-stop FCO-ORD flight which had a three-hour delay, but would still get me to ORD about an hour earlier than if I connected at PHL. I gladly accepted as that had been my first choice however I class was zeroed out on the non-stop AA 111 (BA 1569) when I booked the trip. I asked the agent if he could rebook it as BA 1569 rather than as AA 111, but he said the couldn't do it. I knew I'd be losing out on some of the TPs and on the qualification flights for tier renewal but I took it anyway as the FCO-PHL flight had had severe delays 80% of the time that month and with just a 90-min layover at PHL I might be cutting it too fine. A few days later I wrote an e-mail to BAEC NA and requested the credit for the original flights citing the frequent delays and the short layover at PHL as a reason, but unsurprisingly they said no. Regardless, as it turns out I made the right choice, as although the FCO-PHL flight landed early at Philly, the PHL-ORD flight went tech in the air and was diverted to IND, and it didn't leave for ORD until the next morning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.