Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2017, 6:38 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I've been around long enough to realize that sometimes a good idea comes along that hasn't been thought of or applied before. So, I don't automatically assume every possible idea on structuring Avios upgrades has occurred to BA previously. You seem to feel differently. That's what makes the world interesting.
Why not write it up and send it to BA then? Let us know how you get on.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
KARFA, you have the patience of a saint!

dmp - If you don't have an understanding of any of your a, b and c points, particularly around why a virtual currency is NOT equivalent to cash (which is my personal favourite), it's really a bit out of order to demand "any other logical statement that actually furthers the discussion' from people who are trying to engage with you. The points have been covered many times in other threads and indeed in this one - saying it's BA's model is not shutting down the argument, it is the statement of people who are content to purchase tickets and use the upgrade system on that basis and not question anything. To assume they haven't thought of any other way of doing things - including your suggestions - in the significant amount of time BA, IAG, air miles and Avios have been around is strange.

I'd follow up on KARFA's suggestion and email them. Do let us know what they come back with.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 8:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG
Originally Posted by obduro
... to demand...
Sigh.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 8:27 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, BA Gold, Hyatt
I'm really saddened by the pompous and sarcastic tone that responses have started to take on the BA forum here at FlyerTalk. This thread is a perfect example of that too. DMP was asking for clarification and sharing his opinion of why Avios is equivalent to cash for BA and all you people want to do is put an end to any discussion because it doesn't fit with your personal opinion. I can buy a ticket for Avios or some of that lousy M&S BOB food with Avios, and that is because BA has conferred a monetary value to Avios. As such it is a valid question as to why they will not accept said payment form for an upgrade. But unfortunately, that couldn't be discussed because some people prefer to monopolise the discussions with their unwavering support of BA.

This forum used to be full of people who were helpful and respectful and didn't resort to snide comments to limit any opposing viewpoints. Sadly, I've noticed that is no longer the case. As BA's quality as an airline has gone down, the vitriol and spitefulness of responses here has gone way up. It makes me sad that I no longer feel like my questions, or even my valid concerns, about BA will be met with anything but sarcasm and blame here at FlyerTalk.

Instead of congratulating yourselves on how "patient" and superior you all are, you might want to take a long hard look at the way you respond to people and how it alienates those of us that have questions, concerns, and opinions to share.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Taking KMPete's comments a small step further, things certainly have seemed to be to bit more confrontational than of yore on many threads.

Too many Alpha Males? Too much unhappiness with the way BA is going? Warm LPGS?

Do have a great weekend, everyone
Old Apr 28, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Originally Posted by KMPete
DMP was asking for clarification and sharing his opinion of why Avios is equivalent to cash for BA and all you people want to do is put an end to any discussion because it doesn't fit with your personal opinion.
Isn't it your personal opinion that words on a screen form a "pompous and sarcastic response"?

Are you the type who gets angry at emails when at work?
Old Apr 28, 2017, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by T8191
Taking KMPete's comments a small step further, things certainly have seemed to be to bit more confrontational than of yore on many threads.

Too many Alpha Males? Too much unhappiness with the way BA is going? Warm LPGS?

Do have a great weekend, everyone
I'll take option 3 for Ł250.

To be fair, when I first joined FT I found FlyerTalk quite confrontational. You could say both parties in this thread, for example, had a degree of it in their responses. It's just how it is - I'm more bothered by those who reply to the threads of new members simply saying "Read the dashboard" which IMO is more unhelpful and more unwelcoming than a situation like this where both parties engaged in a conversation that involved two differing opinions come together. The result is often something like this thread!

For what it's worth, having spent hours doing a FAQ thread last week I could choose to blow my top about someone with very few contributions to the forum making sweeping judgments and insinuating we are unhelpful.

Instead, I'll just come to terms with someone having the absolute audacity to tell me I am supportive of BA!
Old Apr 28, 2017, 9:33 am

obduro I disagree that your # of contributions should figure into anyone's ability to interpret the words you've written on this thread. Quantity is not quality. A problem you're consistent in because you've also assumed in your earlier post that BA, IAG, etc. must have also thought of everything Avios-related simply because they've spent significant time thinking about it.

Incidentally, I trust everyone will see the self-contradiction in calling it "strange" when I point out people are conflating my idea with others that have already been discussed right after admitting those same people are "not questioning anything".
Old Apr 28, 2017, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by dmp1991
obduro I disagree that your # of contributions should figure into anyone's ability to interpret the words you've written on this thread.
Where did I say this? Please correct.

What I did say, was people shouldn't generalise by calling others (among other things) pompous, unhelpful, disrespectful etc. on the basis of one thread they choose to post. KARFA I know has helped thousands of people. Similarly I have spent a fair amount of my time starting threads and Wikis, and answering questions that have helped others

The tonality of this particular thread and one set of posts out of thousands of others doesn't make someone any of those things, and it is wrong to state confidently this is the case. You can of course, state it as an opinion, which the poster chose not to do.

Quantity is not quality. A problem you're consistent in because you've also assumed in your earlier post that BA, IAG, etc. must have also thought of everything Avios-related simply because they've spent significant time thinking about it.
I said "To assume they haven't thought of any other way of doing things...". I didn't say "To assume they have thought of everything" like you suggest. Please correct.

Incidentally, I trust everyone will see the self-contradiction in calling it "strange" when I point out people are conflating my idea with others that have already been discussed right after admitting those same people are "not questioning anything".
Where did "not questioning anything" come from? Certainly not me.

The reality is your ideas (and follow up points) have already been discussed by many others on this forum - that doesn't mean they can't be debated again though. I and others have responded to your points by saying "BA may do this because..." and "The current BA position and model is..." which you have confused with "BA will never do what you say because/BA have already thought of this" etc. That is strange.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, BA Gold, Hyatt
I wasn't basing my comment on just this one thread, unfortunately. I may not post comments here often, but I have been reading this forum, and others on FlyerTalk for years and years. I also did point out that people used to be very helpful and great about pointing out ways to get the most out of flying with BA, but lately that has not been the case. This thread and another one I read yesterday, was just the impetus I needed to post something about all the negativity and snideness going on here lately.

We're all adults, we can surely act like it, even when on the Internet.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:04 am

I wasn't basing my comment on just this one thread, unfortunately. I may not post comments here often, but I have been reading this forum, and others on FlyerTalk for years and years. I also did point out that people used to be very helpful and great about pointing out ways to get the most out of flying with BA, but lately that has not been the case. This thread and another one I read yesterday, was just the impetus I needed to post something about all the negativity and snideness going on here lately.

To be fair, having considered your general point a bit more I absolutely take it - and I alluded to it in one of the latter posts. FT can be quite a complex place and at times some posts can come across as a bit curt and stand-offish. I certainly know I felt that way when I first joined. Perhaps I am a bit long in the tooth around here now so don't notice it too much anymore as I'm used to it, but it is something worth reminding of occasionally.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:42 am

There is still plenty of helpful and useful information on here and I detect no change to help those having questions - new guides are being added all the time.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:48 am

Where did I say this?
You said "I could choose to blow my top about someone with very few contributions to the forum making sweeping judgments..." To me, that was a statement implying your # of comments should effect how you are interpreted.

I said "To assume they haven't thought of any other way of doing things...". I didn't say "To assume they have thought of everything" like you suggest.
Agree on the literal words, but I don't see why you would point out the the former in the context of this discussion without implying the latter. I'd appreciate if you could explain in more detail the difference if you think I'm misunderstanding you.

Where did "not questioning anything" come from?
You literally said "...use the upgrade system on that basis and not question anything"

I and others have responded to your points by saying "BA may do this because..." and "The current BA position and model is..." which you have confused with "BA will never do what you say because/BA have already thought of this"
The wording your saying here is much gentler and less aggressive than the wording I see when I look back at posts. Examples: "BA doesn't agree with you." (in total as a reply!) and "BA does not agree with your arguments so it's all a bit academic."
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by dmp1991
Examples: "BA doesn't agree with you." (in total as a reply!) and "BA does not agree with your arguments so it's all a bit academic."
This is factually correct. What is your point?
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:54 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
KARFA is going to get the BAEC Saint of the week prize.

As to the guidance, and help, yup, it is great.

As to opinions, I love them. They are normally free, and don't hurt folk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.