Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

AMS-HKG via LHR/LGW - Penalty if skip the last leg?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMS-HKG via LHR/LGW - Penalty if skip the last leg?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2017, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by beany_bot
My point exactly. But put into much better words than I can
There is a reason why most people on FT are not running airlines....
Old Apr 26, 2017, 4:21 am

Programs: BAEC: BRONZE (Basic member: KLM, Emirates, United)
Originally Posted by KARFA
Regardless, neither BA or many other airlines who have similar non-home base originating fares agree with you.

Rather than being seen as a bad thing I am very happy about exEU fares as it allows me to travel in J/F long-haul for much less, long may it continue. I completed one only earlier this week and took all the flights.
But...Another way of looking at it is.

Your not getting a discount on your fare. Thats a normal fare. People are just getting shafted for starting/ending in LHR.

Long may that continue...?
Old Apr 26, 2017, 4:22 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond

Your not getting a discount on your fare. Thats a normal fare. People are just getting shafted for starting/ending in LHR.

Er no, that isn't a sensible way of looking at it at all.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 4:25 am

No-one is being shafted. Like all markets, airlines work on a supply and demand basis.

BA has a load factor over 80% last month. Why would you reduce fares if people will pay existing fares.

The ex-EU market is relatively small, most people still travel direct,.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 4:29 am

Programs: BAEC: BRONZE (Basic member: KLM, Emirates, United)
Fair enough. I just think it's mad that an airline is getting annoyed at PAX who pay them but then don't fly with them. They are surely the ideal customer.

In an ideal world for BA, Every flight is fully booked and paid for but no PAX ever turn up. Meaning they save massively on fuel and CC, check in staff, baggage handling, etc etc etc.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 4:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Originally Posted by rossmacd
You'll be fine. Anyone telling you otherwise is scaremongering.

However, BA have clamped down on TAs involved in this practice.
Originally Posted by simons1
It's not anyone's "fault": indirect fares have always been cheaper than direct ones.

On a one off basis I doubt BA would be bothered to chase this up. If done on a regular basis, or by a TA, then the outcome may be different. If you think it's hilarious, ask the guys at Propellor....I don't think they found it funny.
Originally Posted by dakaix
If you do this infrequently, you'll be fine. BA's concern is with those that do this sort of thing regularly (and we've seen of late that LHR-DUB agents are particularly aware of this behaviour).

That said if you booked your ticket via a travel agent (and not from BA directly), it is quite possible that BA will attempt to invoice your travel agent for the fare difference between your ticketed and flown itineraries. Therefore out of courtesy to your TA this should be avoided if you're not on a direct BA booking.
If you have booked this via a TA then BA will issue an ADM to them which may be for more than the ticket so, as dakaix has said, you need to fly all legs.

If you book with BA then there is precious little they can do about it.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 5:38 am

Fair enough. I just think it's mad that an airline is getting annoyed at PAX who pay them but then don't fly with them. They are surely the ideal customer.
If it was a direct flight, maybe (that is of course why BA overbook flights).

However this thread is about ex-EU flights..
Old Apr 26, 2017, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by srbrenna
If you have booked this via a TA then BA will issue an ADM to them which may be for more than the ticket so, as dakaix has said, you need to fly all legs.

If you book with BA then there is precious little they can do about it.
Well they could, because in many cases they will have your credit card number on file.

Would they? That seems to be the point we have reached. It would be an interesting test case in court.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 5:47 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.

Nonsense - people get equally "shafted" for starting/ending in AMS on direct non-stop flight. In fact, people get "shafted" for flying direct, non-stop from almost any city. Airlines are able to charge a higher price for a better service - you might call that "shafted".

KLM offers cheaper fares out of London via Amsterdam, and BA offers cheaper fares from Amsterdam via London.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BlackBerryAddict
KLM offers cheaper fares out of London via Amsterdam, and BA offers cheaper fares from Amsterdam via London.
Yes but nowhere near the £1500 that BA are offering on this route from AMS to HKG via LHR.

Cheers for the advice all, I'll check connections from AMS coming home and make a judgement call accordingly.

Just didn't fancy having a load of avios deducted or my card charged for not taking the LGW-AMS flight.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by BlackBerryAddict
Nonsense - people get equally "shafted" for starting/ending in AMS on direct non-stop flight. In fact, people get "shafted" for flying direct, non-stop from almost any city. Airlines are able to charge a higher price for a better service - you might call that "shafted".

Exactly.

Heathrow Express charges premium fares however you can always get a better price if you go on the tube (and it takes 3 times as long). Same with Gatwick Express and Thameslink.

It's called supply and demand. People will often pay a premium price for a better service.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 9:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Honours Silver, Marriott, Hyatt, IHG
Just wondered if there is also an HMRC angle to this as well as BA. Ex rest of EU there is much reduced or avoided tax so could it be argued that a tax liability arises if the journey does not start and finish in that jurisdiction as intended/contracted?
Old Apr 26, 2017, 9:18 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Porky Speedpig
Just wondered if there is also an HMRC angle to this as well as BA. Ex rest of EU there is much reduced or avoided tax so could it be argued that a tax liability arises if the journey does not start and finish in that jurisdiction as intended/contracted?
The only issue would be outbound if the journey was re-ticketed to start at LHR rather than the exEU point since APD would then become due - this has very occasionally happened due to IRROPS where there is massive disruption and the first flight of the ticket in to LHR has been cancelled. Under these circumstances I have not heard BA asking the passenger for the APD.

On the return no APD is due whether stopping in LHR or continuing on to your exEU destination.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: ba gold
sorry error

Last edited by capetown2k; Apr 26, 2017 at 9:44 am Reason: error
Old Apr 26, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: ba gold
question

if i book MAN LHR CPT CPT LHR MAN and I want to drop the last LHR to MAN
is this a problem and can i ask at cpt to check luggage just to LHR

TIA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.