Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Wifi rollout [question]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2017, 2:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: BRONZE (Basic member: KLM, Emirates, United)
BA Wifi rollout [question]

Does anyone know any details of BA's L/H WiFi roll out? Other than "soon" or "starting this year".

Specifically I'm flying to San Diego in November on BA0273 (B777).
Really hoping it has WiFi (free or paid) by then. Means I can work on the plane. My company is always trying to send me awful American carriers so I can stay in touch and work on the plane. But a slave to the BA and oneword miles I'm always keen to go BA.

p.s. I wonder how many business customers BA loses to not having WiFi? I know my company would much rather I flew a different carrier so I can work on the go. But thankfully being a small company I have a say in who I fly. But anyway, that's a discussion for another day...
Old Apr 26, 2017, 2:39 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by beany_bot
Does anyone know any details of BA's L/H WiFi roll out? Other than "soon" or "starting this year".

Specifically I'm flying to San Diego in November on BA0273 (B777).
Really hoping it has WiFi (free or paid) by then. Means I can work on the plane. My company is always trying to send me awful American carriers so I can stay in touch and work on the plane. But a slave to the BA and oneword miles I'm always keen to go BA.

p.s. I wonder how many business customers BA loses to not having WiFi? I know my company would much rather I flew a different carrier so I can work on the go. But thankfully being a small company I have a say in who I fly. But anyway, that's a discussion for another day...
Well I feel in your case, maybe it is better you don't have WiFi so work cannot bother you = )
Old Apr 26, 2017, 2:57 am
Original Poster

I did ask on my Tokyo flight recently what the deal was and CC said "soon", But he did say that American routes would be first.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
You won't have wifi on your flight.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 3:03 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Bit more information on wifi rollout in this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...l#post27551003
Old Apr 26, 2017, 3:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Can I help you
You won't have wifi on your flight.
Thanks for the info. Not being rude but can I ask how you know this? Whats the basis of your answer. Fully believe you, just curious.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
From what I have seen written internationally within BA.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 9:52 pm

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, AS Gold 75k, IHG Aspire, Marriott Titanium , National Exec Elite, Amex Plat
Suggest you switch to AA via LAX (or DFW) if you want WiFi on a trip to the US West Coast.

Other benefits include a better lounge at LHR (Cathay), a better business class seat and on most aircraft a couple of live sports channels but better IFE on all aircraft.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 1:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goodison
Suggest you switch to AA via LAX (or DFW) if you want WiFi on a trip to the US West Coast.

Other benefits include a better lounge at LHR (Cathay), a better business class seat and on most aircraft a couple of live sports channels but better IFE on all aircraft.
Yeah... I vowed never to fly American again after my GLA-Philli trip...

On top of that the abuse that their staff gave me on their facebook page was utterly shocking.
I see some of them have been removed but this is an example of how their staff respond when somebody criticizes their airline.

Last edited by bot_beany; Apr 27, 2017 at 1:31 am
Old Apr 27, 2017, 3:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by beany_bot

Not defending the behaviour, but that's not an official AA marketing person, and they might not even work for AA proper.

It'd be like a cashier at Tesco commenting on a post, not really official or worth getting concerned about.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 4:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Silver
I am the only one who likes BA because they don't have Wi-Fi?

I enjoy not having contact with the outside world (particularly work). I can still work on documents, presentations, etc if I choose. I took a couple of Emirates flights (LON-DUB) in Y and as soon as the Wi-Fi was on everyone around me was on Facebook, etc and chatting on Skype. Dreadful.....
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:03 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by Yellowbelly

I enjoy not having contact with the outside world (particularly work). I can still work on documents, presentations, etc if I choose. I took a couple of Emirates flights (LON-DUB) in Y and as soon as the Wi-Fi was on everyone around me was on Facebook, etc and chatting on Skype. Dreadful.....
Going from "I'm on the train" to "I'm on the plane". Where's Dom Jolly?!
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YacozA
Not defending the behaviour, but that's not an official AA marketing person, and they might not even work for AA proper.

It'd be like a cashier at Tesco commenting on a post, not really official or worth getting concerned about.
It's still outrageous. Might not be official but its still the level of response I got. (BTW never got an official response at all...)

I did a bit of digging. Yes she works (and still) works for AA as CC.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:07 am
Original Poster

90% of my work needs to be online as I research companies for BD. And need emails on the go. Each to their own though. I guess daft things like facebook and this forum and handy to kill time on a long flight too.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 9:44 pm

I am the same. I am sure my employer would like me to have email access during flights but I'm happy i don't.

I'm surprised BA didn't have the foresight to take their new aircraft with the WiFi antenna pre-installed though. I could be wrong but it doesn't look like even the 787s have it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.