BA Handling of laptop/tablet ban

Old Oct 14, 2017, 3:10 am

Programs: CAMRA GGL (Gold Card Holder/Lifetime membership)
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
Totally unacceptable really. I'm in the same position but from CAI next weekend. I've read up, researched and called BA and there is no help, guidance or assistance other than "it has to go in the hold" and "it's the UK Government's fault and we cannot change it". Most unhelpful and in the second case as we now all well know, not entirely truthful.

What worries me is that at CAI, all baggage handlers will know fairly well that almost every BA LHR tagged bag has i high chance of containing valuable electronics. Security prevents you from either wrapping or locking the bag, so it's wide open for pilfering.

Personally, I will be leaving my laptop at LHR left luggage to pick up on my way back. Next time I will be flying Egyptair, who are not "forced" by the UK Government to put all electronics in the hold.
Wait.. you can’t even put a little padlock on your suitcase? What about if it’s one of the official ones with that red logo thing on it ?

What if your case has a built in padlock ?

What would they do if you did put a lock on it ?
Old Oct 14, 2017, 4:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Leaving laptops in LHR?

HI
I have booked a trip to Hawaii from CAI. Positioning from LHR the day before and overnighting in CAI airport hotel. Then turnaround next day to US via LHR but have to change from T5 to T3 since US flight on AA.
If the laptop ban is still on, is there a way to leave my computer and kindle etc in Heathrow T5 left luggage and then pick up before going to T3. I am aware that I need to exit T5 to get to left luggage and get tube /train to T3.
Any help would be greatly appreciated particularly if someone has done this before.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA
Yes, it is possible, if you have enough time between CAI-LHR and LHR-USA. I'd want at least 3 hours between flights.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 4:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BA6501
Yes, it is possible, if you have enough time between CAI-LHR and LHR-USA. I'd want at least 3 hours between flights.
Have 3 hours and 10 mins, so hoping that should be ok providing the inbound BA flight is on time. Also have fast track for what is worth.
Many thanks BA6501.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 9:13 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by Dselvan
HI
I have booked a trip to Hawaii from CAI. Positioning from LHR the day before and overnighting in CAI airport hotel. Then turnaround next day to US via LHR but have to change from T5 to T3 since US flight on AA.
If the laptop ban is still on, is there a way to leave my computer and kindle etc in Heathrow T5 left luggage and then pick up before going to T3. I am aware that I need to exit T5 to get to left luggage and get tube /train to T3.
Any help would be greatly appreciated particularly if someone has done this before.
I am thinking of doing the same thing - it may be the only option to avoid checking the bag and taking the risk of theft.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 3:01 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
With a trip to IST coming up I will be leaving my laptop at home and travelling with just my mobile phones. I was looking at the BA help pages, although these aren't much use. They direct you to a DoT news page, which was withdrawn on 22 September. The new DoT page advises contacting your airline to check what is permitted!

I assume that passengers are allowed to carry more than one mobile phone (e.g. Personal and Work mobiles), assuming they are within the size restrictions?

I assume that mobile phone / USB chargers are also permitted on board?
Old Oct 17, 2017, 3:11 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
I left a bag containing my laptop at LHR T2 as I left on Aegean last Sunday. After flying the first sector of my CAI-HNL next weekend I will pick it up as I pass through T2 again for my LH flight to MUC. A bag costs 26 for 3 days then 5 a day after that. Im on holiday in Crete in the meantime, so dont really need it and it seemed easier than either the hassle or the worry of taking it with me.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 3:20 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold
At IST you can take more than one mobile, but no power-banks or hard drives. A USB charger would be fine, but there is nowhere on the A320 to plug it into. The search at the gate is very thorough, including a pat down.

I also had a trip to BEY and back this month. Had to pack the laptop at BEY. Happy to report it was fine! Staff at check-in were advising what is and is not allowed. There is a search when entering the gate area which is thorough and chaotic. There was a growing collection of power banks on the table, having been seperated from their owners.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA
Originally Posted by gms
I assume that passengers are allowed to carry more than one mobile phone (e.g. Personal and Work mobiles), assuming they are within the size restrictions?

I assume that mobile phone / USB chargers are also permitted on board?
Multiple phones and chargers are fine
Old Oct 26, 2017, 12:48 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
There are news reports that the FAA want to ban Li batteries in checked baggage. That will be an interesting one for BA. Banned in hand luggage from ME to LHR, banned in checked luggage LHR to the US...
Old Nov 2, 2017, 7:33 am

Programs: CAMRA GGL (Gold Card Holder/Lifetime membership)
Has the ban been lifted on BA yet ?
Old Nov 2, 2017, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by hungry
Has the ban been lifted on BA yet ?
No, in fact BA have been adding destinations where they ban electronics.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Worcester
No, in fact BA have been adding destinations where they ban electronics.
BA have unilaterally banned electronics on some destinations? I thought all places with the ban were as a result of the UK government ban was put in place on Middle East / North African destinations (which has subsequently been lifted for most carriers - apart from BA).

Which destinations have BA added since the first set of destinations in the UK government ban?
Old Nov 3, 2017, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by itfcfan
BA have unilaterally banned electronics on some destinations? I thought all places with the ban were as a result of the UK government ban was put in place on Middle East / North African destinations (which has subsequently been lifted for most carriers - apart from BA).

Which destinations have BA added since the first set of destinations in the UK government ban?

Maldives, I am not sure if it's BA or HMG
Old Nov 9, 2017, 10:48 am

Can anyone confirm if NC headphones are allowed on board? Like the Bose QC35.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.