Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Handling of laptop/tablet ban

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: A3 Gold
Originally Posted by jday
I’m flying to Cairo in a few weeks on BA. Is the tablet ban still in place?
For the outward flight to Cairo, there is no ban in place.

On the return flight (Cairo-London) laptops/tablets are still banned (on BA only). Egyptair flights have had this ban removed since early September.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pucci, you seem to rejoice in having a go at myself and Worcester. What I reported to the community was a factual recounting of a conversation which I had with someone in the know and is the exact same thing which Worcester reported shortly after. Furthermore shortly thereafter I spoke with the exact same person that Worcester spoke to who confirmed the same and that it had now become political. BA's "assessors" have in fact insisted on a security threshold that is LESS than the UK DOT's assessment, so any insistence that it is not is just ridiculous. Lets get something straight here, there are as many as 30 flights a day between the UK and Turkey, perhaps 60 a day from the originally effected cities/ countries to the UK. All except BA's one or two flights a day from IST now allow laptops. The only relevant "assesors" involved from BA are the accounting department.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 2:34 am

Official DoT information here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/c...ation-security
BA's page:
https://www.britishairways.com/trave...b?p_faqid=5709
Old Oct 13, 2017, 6:58 am

Flying IST LHR tomorrow on BA.

​​​​​​Looks like this ban is still affecting me.

Is it possible to keep my laptop with me and have it checked at the gate? Or must it be in my checked bag initially? I would prefer to reduce the possibility of theft as much as possible. I know other airlines had good handling of this at the gate.

Also, are battery packs permitted in the cabin?
​​​​​​
Thank you!

Last edited by tlott; Oct 13, 2017 at 7:20 am
Old Oct 13, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by tlott
Flying IST LHR tomorrow on BA.

​​​​​​Looks like this ban is still affecting me.

Is it possible to keep my laptop with me and have it checked at the gate? Or must it be in my checked bag initially? I would prefer to reduce the possibility of theft as much as possible. I know other airlines had good handling of this at the gate.

Also, are battery packs permitted in the cabin?
​​​​​​
Thank you!
Yes other airlines have had the ban lifted. I think that tells you all you need to know...

Battery packs - no these have been banned on BA flights as well

There is no facility to gate check it. I did see someone who did not know about it hand over their laptop and I think it was going to the hold, but I would not risk it. I stow my laptop well wrapped up in a lockable suitcase. I ask them to remove the priority tags and I have a back up and insurance.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Totally unacceptable really. I'm in the same position but from CAI next weekend. I've read up, researched and called BA and there is no help, guidance or assistance other than "it has to go in the hold" and "it's the UK Government's fault and we cannot change it". Most unhelpful and in the second case as we now all well know, not entirely truthful.

What worries me is that at CAI, all baggage handlers will know fairly well that almost every BA LHR tagged bag has i high chance of containing valuable electronics. Security prevents you from either wrapping or locking the bag, so it's wide open for pilfering.

Personally, I will be leaving my laptop at LHR left luggage to pick up on my way back. Next time I will be flying Egyptair, who are not "forced" by the UK Government to put all electronics in the hold.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
What worries me is that at CAI, all baggage handlers will know fairly well that almost every BA LHR tagged bag has i high chance of containing valuable electronics. Security prevents you from either wrapping or locking the bag, so it's wide open for pilfering.
Flying out from CAI in August, my laptop was locked in my laptop bag and then put in a locked and wrapped case before checking in.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 11:44 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by hfly
Pucci, you seem to rejoice in having a go at myself and Worcester. What I reported to the community was a factual recounting of a conversation which I had with someone in the know
So much in the know are they, that here we are weeks later and nothing has changed. So, really, we Have nothing but hearsay and gossip and that does not actually add anything to the laptop/tablet ban except to say that it is still in place.

I am uninterested who or what is causing this to continue, what does interest me is how this is implemented. Does someone go through all the hand luggage at the BA gate Istanbul
Old Oct 13, 2017, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Yes, every piece of hand baggage is carefully checked and passengers receive a patdown. At least in BEY and AMM.
typical likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 1:26 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by BA6501
Yes, every piece of hand baggage is carefully checked and passengers receive a patdown. At least in BEY and AMM.
Same at IST. They now say to be at the gate 1 hour before departure so less time in the lounge but fortunately BA only pay for the worst lounge in the airport so your not missing anything.

Biazzare thing it's the same procedure on the TK flights, but you are allowed on with your electronics. Different scanners which might be it.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 3:48 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Just arrived back from Istanbul on TK. Was interested to see how they would handle things.

Random passengers were taken aside for special screening and were thoroughly patted down and all bags opened and searched thoroughly. Others like myself were just let through without so much as a glance despite carrying a laptop rucksack.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 10:38 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by criso
Just arrived back from Istanbul on TK. Was interested to see how they would handle things.

Random passengers were taken aside for special screening and were thoroughly patted down and all bags opened and searched thoroughly. Others like myself were just let through without so much as a glance despite carrying a laptop rucksack.
With BA departures from IST at the moment all passengers undergo the pat down and bag search at the gate.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 2:14 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Thank you Boys for some informative answers. Now I know what actually happens. It’s a bore but there it is.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by gms
I see that the UK Government advice was updated a few days ago:

"Large phones, laptops and tablets now allowed in the cabin on the majority of flights to the UK from Turkey and Tunisia."

They then advise: "The vast majority of carriers operating out of Turkish airports are no longer subject to these restrictions. However, passengers should contact their airlines for advice about whether their flights are affected."

It seems that BA is still one of the exceptions
Of course if you read the full announcement it says the ban has been lifted on "some flights" and the "vast majority of carriers". Sabiha Gokcen has been cleared but IST still has restrictions. Doesn't sound like an open and shut case to me.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/c...ation-security

Personally when it comes to safety I would rely on the word of those who are on the inside. With a terror threat level of severe it is inevitable that caution will prevail and it may be BA has good and valid reasons for its current stance.
ddschur likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 3:09 am

Programs: CAMRA GGL (Gold Card Holder/Lifetime membership)
I really hope and pray this is changed before I go in Feb. Otherwise I might just leave iPad at home. It will be a nightmare....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.