Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US may extend laptop ban to UK flights

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2017, 5:58 pm

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RolandLondon
Sorry if this has been asked already. I'm travelling from CAI soon, transferring at LHR and then onto the USA. Will I be able to check in my laptop in at CAI and collect it at LHR before transferring and travelling onwards to USA?
Check the forum for Cairo threads as this has already been covered. I just did CAI-LHR-SJC (on a single PNR) in J and short checked my bag to LHR such that I could have my bag/laptop with me on the plane from LHR-SJC. Worked just fine (although it's always possible you get a checkin agent at Cairo that refuses to do it)
Old May 15, 2017, 11:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Many thanks, I'll ask to short check and see what happens. I'm in J too, not that it should make any difference!
Old May 16, 2017, 1:49 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by RolandLondon
Cannot I not ask for my bags to check in just as far as LHR?
I short checked a bag yesterday IST to LHR with no issues.

I also (to the staffs amazement) asked them not to put priority tags on (why highlight my bag with a laptop in). It was third out.
Old May 16, 2017, 5:29 am

Programs: BA Silver; Priority Club Platinum
Excuse me if I missed this issue in the thread BUT for me a big issue is that my laptop will be stolen from checked bag. I don't use my laptop on the flights but I'll always put all valuables in my carryon so that I can continue to have them in future...so laptop is like jewelry etc. I think lots of people do that. Do we imagine that there will be better security in baggage handling now?
Old May 16, 2017, 10:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Breaking news on Sky. Homeland security says laptop ban will likely be expanded to other countries beyond the Middle East and Europe.
Old May 16, 2017, 10:44 am

http://news.sky.com/story/us-ban-on-...dened-10880366

Says "may" be extended....

if true
Old May 16, 2017, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Is this Sky picking up last week's news and recycling it?
Old May 16, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
I'm sure this has been addressed further back in the thread, and excuse my ignorance, but is checked baggage screening that much more stringent vs. carry-on as to detect undesirable items within a laptop in a suitcase which is going into the hold? (And conversely, is carry-on security that bad as to probably not catch it!)

Pilot37
Old May 16, 2017, 10:54 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by rossmacd
I think the more interesting part of what's currently a very sketchy article is the phrase "certain European countries".

Last week I passed through security in both LHR and OTP. Now, they both meet the minimum EU standard for airport security, but I know which of the two countries I'd trust to detect a problem (not withstanding that EMA failed to spot the toner cartridge bomb in cargo a few years ago, but DXB did).

I wonder if there might yet be a UK exemption - it's certainly in the upper echelons of worldwide security techniques.

EDIT: Sky seems to have changed their headline again ...
Old May 16, 2017, 11:26 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
I think the more interesting part of what's currently a very sketchy article is the phrase "certain European countries".

Last week I passed through security in both LHR and OTP. Now, they both meet the minimum EU standard for airport security, but I know which of the two countries I'd trust to detect a problem (not withstanding that EMA failed to spot the toner cartridge bomb in cargo a few years ago, but DXB did).

I wonder if there might yet be a UK exemption - it's certainly in the upper echelons of worldwide security techniques.

EDIT: Sky seems to have changed their headline again ...
I had thought this may be possible UK (and maybe some others) could be exempted. One factor in the favour of the UK is that all transiting passengers are re-screened so everyone boarding a US bound flight in the UK has been subject to a UK level of security.
Old May 16, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by T8191
Is this Sky picking up last week's news and recycling it?
Yes, they're especially poor on US-related stories for some reason. Consistent lefty bias and shallow analysis. I have largely given expecting anything well-written on Sky (or indeed in the Times )
Old May 16, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Given how much business traffic there is between UK and USA, are they really gonna do this?
Old May 16, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by SonTech
And how does having GE stops anyone from carrying on board a bomb??? Ever heard of sleepers??
It would have to be the same rule for everyone.. otherwise it makes any ban completely useless otherwise.
Someones been watching executive decision!
Old May 16, 2017, 2:49 pm

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
Originally Posted by bmibaby737
Someones been watching executive decision!
Never heard of it....
Old May 16, 2017, 3:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Pilot37
I'm sure this has been addressed further back in the thread, and excuse my ignorance, but is checked baggage screening that much more stringent vs. carry-on as to detect undesirable items within a laptop in a suitcase which is going into the hold? (And conversely, is carry-on security that bad as to probably not catch it!)

Pilot37
Yes, mentioned somewhere upthread, normal checked baggage is under airport control for longer, so can be x-rayed multiple times from different angles.

However, it sounds like the airlines offering gate-checking of laptops completely ruin that argument, since you keep hold of it right up until you get on the plane, and the guy running down the stairs with a suitcase full of laptops presumably doesn't do much x-raying...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.