Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US may extend laptop ban to UK flights

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2017, 5:16 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
This will be such a pain, flying to the US in under 2 weeks time. I don't use my laptop in the cabin but I certainly don't trust it not getting damaged in the hold. What's the rule on cameras? I wouldn't trust putting my DSLR and lenses in the hold either.
Old May 11, 2017, 5:23 am

Programs: BA Gold; MB Ti; HH Diamond; IHG Plat; RR Gold
Originally Posted by jday
This will be such a pain, flying to the US in under 2 weeks time. I don't use my laptop in the cabin but I certainly don't trust it not getting damaged in the hold. What's the rule on cameras? I wouldn't trust putting my DSLR and lenses in the hold either.
So far as I'm aware the US version of the ban includes DSLR's and most lenses (as they'll have circuitry within them), specifically any electronic device larger than a mobile. Now while we obviously don't know if the terms of the ban will differ for the EU (although it seems unlikely) for the moment your choice is to either check them in or leave them at home.

I've also seen a rumour going around that medical devices won't be permitted in-cabin either this time, although frankly that seems completely unreasonable - there would be a sizeable number of travellers suddenly unable to go on their vacation.

ETA: The effect on business travelers could end up being limited though, since we're all assuming that the policies stay as they are. My employer issued a waiver to our T&E policy immediately after March's ME electronics ban which amended their statutory "employees must have company laptop on their person at all times" with "... except on flights from the ME when employees are permitted to use a padded bag within a checked suitcase".

Although the FTer in me will admit to a certain glee at the thought of what might happen to premium cabin pricing to NA should demand suddenly go off a cliff... and let's be honest, you've all had the same idea!

Last edited by dakaix; May 11, 2017 at 5:31 am
Old May 11, 2017, 5:25 am

Programs: BAEC: BRONZE (Basic member: KLM, Emirates, United)
We fly to the US a fair bit for conferences and as a company we work on laptops for ~80% of the flight. We usually fly BA (GLA-LHR-usa) but I can assure you if this goes through my boss will stick us on WestJet to GLA-Halifax. It's cheaper and she has threatened it before but This would be the tipping point. Your talking days of lost company time if not allowed to work on board.
Old May 11, 2017, 5:35 am
McG

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by jday
Discussion on the Fred Miranda photography forums about this, along with an example of someone travelling through AUH being allowed to take lenses on board but not camera.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1481653/3

Personally I'll probably use my Pelican 1510 case for my DSLR, lenses and laptop and put it inside my checked luggage.
Old May 11, 2017, 5:39 am

deleted

Last edited by markle; May 25, 2023 at 7:25 am
Old May 11, 2017, 5:40 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Yes, I would think that's exactly the suggestion. Screening equipment for checked luggage is generally far more advanced and can check in many more planes (the surface rather than flying type) than hand luggage versions. It would be far harder to conceal an explosive device in hold luggage.
but how can they have the extended time and facilities to screen the laptops which are checked in last minute at the gate as some of the ME3 have been doing?
Old May 11, 2017, 5:59 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by markle
Interesting write-up from Skift citing an aviation source

https://skift.com/2017/05/10/u-s-to-...s-from-europe/

- London would be included in the list
- Ban would apply in both directions across the Atlantic

So business travelers being clever will fly to Canada, Bermuda, Caribbean or Mexico and then fly from there to where ever they want to get to in the US?

Luckily the Terrorists with their invisible to xray bombs won't have though of that I am sure...
Old May 11, 2017, 6:01 am

Programs: BAEC: BRONZE (Basic member: KLM, Emirates, United)
I wonder if the GPD WIN would count as a laptop? I mean its arguably no bigger than some phones. And at least would allow some very basic work to be done.
http://www.geekbuying.com/item/GPD-W...ck-367872.html
Old May 11, 2017, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by Worcester
So business travelers being clever will fly to Canada, Bermuda, Caribbean or Mexico and then fly from there to where ever they want to get to in the US?

Luckily the Terrorists with their invisible to xray bombs won't have though of that I am sure...
Indeed - surely Europe has at least as good (if not better) airport security than, say, Mexico?
Old May 11, 2017, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I'm still struggling with the logic diagram for this.

To overcome a perceived risk of a terrorist act on a single flight, all flights are placed at increased risk of hold fires.

TBH, my brain hurts.
Old May 11, 2017, 6:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by T8191
I'm still struggling with the logic diagram for this.

To overcome a perceived risk of a terrorist act on a single flight, all flights are placed at increased risk of hold fires.

TBH, my brain hurts.
Sadly, I'm afraid logic has been temporarily suspended...

Regards
Old May 11, 2017, 6:30 am

deleted

Last edited by markle; May 25, 2023 at 7:25 am
Old May 11, 2017, 6:35 am

Programs: BA Gold; MB Ti; HH Diamond; IHG Plat; RR Gold
Perhaps DHS has just been reading XKCD?
Old May 11, 2017, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Meanwhile, back on the ropic ...

....I can see us taking fewer US holidays, and forgetting about the delights of long, IFE-free, flights to Hawaii
Old May 11, 2017, 6:41 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by beany_bot
I don't know about you but most folk speak on a forum much the same way they would down the pub (all be it with cleaner language).
If you went to a pub for the first time, would you :-

a) Barge into the middle of a conversation a group of regulars were having. Make wild proclamations that you couldn't back up, and insist you were right. Even when you were politely asked to pipe down, you'd still persist.

b) Stand at the bar, survey the scene for a while, smile and gently try and involve yourself in the conversation. Don't try and come across as a know-it-all, and gradually make some new friends.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.