Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US may extend laptop ban to UK flights

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2017, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by SonTech
Not as far as I know, I've always carried my hard drives in my hand luggage.
As far as power banks go they are allowed as long as under a certain size, 160W/h if I remember correctly..
According to the DFT https://www.gov.uk/government/news/additional-hand- the existing regs for flights to the UK say:

luggage-restrictions-on-some-flights-to-the-uk

will not be allowed in the cabin:

keyboards
power cable transformers
external hard drives

will not be allowed on board the aircraft in either cabin or hold baggage:

spare or separate device batteries
portable power sources
Old May 14, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH D, QFF, EB
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Take KLM or Tui from Amsterdam to Bonaire. World's best shore diving, no US connection. Problem solved.
Thanks, Bonaire is on the list, but was planning to mix it in with a TP run.
Old May 14, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by Jimmie76

portable power sources
Sorry for the ignorance, but that means that even a simple external-battery-pack, smaller than a phone, would not be allowed?
Old May 14, 2017, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Lefly
Sorry for the ignorance, but that means that even a simple external-battery-pack, smaller than a phone, would not be allowed?
From what I'm reading, yes.
Old May 14, 2017, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by Lefly
Right now out of DXB to the US - they ARE NOT - the UK is banning them for inbound to them from the ME countries in question.
https://www.emirates.com/english/hel...ghts-to-the-us
Old May 14, 2017, 7:59 pm

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
According to the DFT https://www.gov.uk/government/news/additional-hand- the existing regs for flights to the UK say:
I think external 2.5" hard drives (and small battery packs) should be okay, as the restrictions are also combined with a list of maximum dimensions. The full text of the UK-imposed requirements is:

The following peripheral devices, designed to be used with either a phone, laptop or tablet and exceeding any one of the following dimensions:

length: 16.0cm
width: 9.3cm
depth: 1.5cm

will not be allowed in the cabin:

keyboards
power cable transformers
external hard drives

portable power sources
Old May 14, 2017, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by GinFizz
I think external 2.5" hard drives (and small battery packs) should be okay, as the restrictions are also combined with a list of maximum dimensions. The full text of the UK-imposed requirements is:
Based on that UK text it implies the CHARGER for your phone (e.g. plug in transformer) isn't allowed either!
Old May 14, 2017, 10:32 pm

Indeed - though if I am thinking of the same thing, maybe it can be argued these are typically not "power cable" transformers (as the USB cable connecting the transformer to the phone can be detached).

If so, then certainly no hope for 3-pin UK-socket adapters based on the maximum dimensions allowable. A quick check though shows that the size and spacing of the 2 flat pins on a US socket are just about small enough to allow redesign of a unit that fits within the 1.5cm maximum dimension.
Old May 15, 2017, 1:45 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
I know from experience that my flat 2-pin Euro Samsung charger works fine on the UK supply when plugged into a 3 pin shaver adapter (i.e. the one with 3 pins into the wall and two holes in the back), so that might be a solution...

Logically, the combination should fall outside the scope of the rules as there's nothing in the adapter but some copper pins and plenty of air... added to which if it does get snaffled at the belt, you are at least most likely on your way home where they are cheap and plentiful...
Old May 15, 2017, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by MPH1980
i dunno about yours ... but the SSD in my laptop isnt exactly accessible.

Can't remove anything from an ipad 😳
Old May 15, 2017, 2:45 am

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
I think the reference to external hard drives are those that include a battery and can act a wifi hot spot, not the bog standard plug in usb type..
So this type
https://www.wdc.com/en-gb/products/p...drive:nas:mpwp wouldn't be allowed
whilst this one https://www.wdc.com/en-gb/products/p...ort-av-tv.html would be allowed.
Old May 15, 2017, 2:48 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by SonTech
I think the reference to external hard drives are those that include a battery and can act a wifi hot spot, not the bog standard plug in usb type
That's just speculation though, isn't it. The official government guidance didn't specify, so the de facto ban is whatever the Turkish security guy decides he wants to ban on any particular day.
Old May 15, 2017, 3:13 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
This also means your spare batteries for gopro's or even normal cameras are a no no too...
Old May 15, 2017, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by SWISSBOBBY
This also means your spare batteries for gopro's or even normal cameras are a no no too...
That is not my reading of the text on the UK Government website. The use of three sets of colons is clumsy, but as far as I can see the only reasonable interpretation of the text (which admittedly requires reading the list bottom to top) is:

>>>>>
(1)
portable power sources

with any dimension greater than one of the following

will not be allowed in the cabin or in the hold.

(2)
keyboards
power cable transformers
external hard drives

with any dimension greater than one of the following

will not be allowed in the cabin.
<<<<

The battery for my GoPro is 1 cm x 3.5cm x 3.5 cm - so easily smaller than the allowed dimensions, and as such should be allowed either in the cabin or hold.
Old May 15, 2017, 4:48 am

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that there may be different restrictions for those with GE / TSA Pre Check and those who don't.

With that in mind, is BA any closer to being able to add your KTN to your booking?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.