US may extend laptop ban to UK flights

Old May 14, 2017, 7:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Today's Sunday Times reports that laptops will be put into a "padded envelope" at the gate and then into the hold, and returned in the baggage area. They also warn that US sources say up to 1/3 of flights to the US will need to be cancelled temporarily whilst new gate security checks are introduced.
Old May 14, 2017, 7:43 am

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by Smid
It seems as the recent protectionism which seemed to be a theme of both the brexit and trump campaign might be exhibiting itself in unexpected ways. The world is becoming a little smaller, and something like this will have a huge impact on business more than tourism...
Don't underestimate the impact on tourism and tourism related travel. Cameras other than phones would not be allowed. Most pro and amateur photographers would never dream of checking their cameras and lenses...well if this goes thru you will have no choice...never travel with laptop but an small ipad for sure goes on trips these days with travel info...no more of those either. I will be going in June and have a feeling that this will impact our trip. Frankly this is crazy...for our government cheaper than doing the enhanced checks at foreign airports and also I think it perpetrates the isolation theme of this administration. Very disappointed in all of it. The airlines will do all possible as this impacts their business clients in the worst way but at the end of the day another presidential order being signed and end of subject...that is how it is going these days...end of rant.
Old May 14, 2017, 11:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by Turaj
Don't underestimate the impact on tourism and tourism related travel. Cameras other than phones would not be allowed. Most pro and amateur photographers would never dream of checking their cameras and lenses...well if this goes thru you will have no choice...
For all the talk of the laptop ban, this is the bit that concerns me the most. Not the company laptop - yes it would be a massive pain in the backside if it got broken or went "walkies" from checked baggage - but ultimately the company will sort it / replace it / provide appropriate measures for protecting it in future.

No, it's my own stuff that I'm scared about. Sometimes I have some down time or a weekend to kill while I'm away for work, so I'd bring my camera gear, consisting of one or two mirrorless bodies, several lenses, accessories (filters, remote trigger, travel tripod, etc). And I've recently bought a drone that folds up to fit in my regular camera bag (as opposed to bringing a dedicated hard shell backpack for it) which I wanted to bring to the US next week.

I can't guarantee it's safety in checked baggage. I can't afford to replace it all if it disappears. I can't get insurance for that kind of stuff in checked baggage. Airlines bubble-wrapping laptops at the gate is one thing, what about when I hand over cameras and lenses and a fragile drone and high-powered LiPo batteries *and* my company laptop and personal tablet and my powerbank etc? How are they going to take responsibility for and safely transport all that?
Old May 14, 2017, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by TownCar
For all the talk of the laptop ban, this is the bit that concerns me the most. Not the company laptop - yes it would be a massive pain in the backside if it got broken or went "walkies" from checked baggage - but ultimately the company will sort it / replace it / provide appropriate measures for protecting it in future.

No, it's my own stuff that I'm scared about. Sometimes I have some down time or a weekend to kill while I'm away for work, so I'd bring my camera gear, consisting of one or two mirrorless bodies, several lenses, accessories (filters, remote trigger, travel tripod, etc). And I've recently bought a drone that folds up to fit in my regular camera bag (as opposed to bringing a dedicated hard shell backpack for it) which I wanted to bring to the US next week.

I can't guarantee it's safety in checked baggage. I can't afford to replace it all if it disappears. I can't get insurance for that kind of stuff in checked baggage. Airlines bubble-wrapping laptops at the gate is one thing, what about when I hand over cameras and lenses and a fragile drone and high-powered LiPo batteries *and* my company laptop and personal tablet and my powerbank etc? How are they going to take responsibility for and safely transport all that?

http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/11/news...-europe-trump/

The above article has one area that's conflicting. Quite a way down the article, it first states that a Capitol Hill source says it would be difficult to instate the ban in Europe without it expanding to include lights leaving the US, as both security systems are closely aligned. Then further on, an official states that intel suggests
no need to affect flights leaving the US. Very xenophobic, as so often is the case...

Also read something about the potential fire risk of having many more lithium batteries in the hold.... who of us will willingly risk letting our tablets out of our sight? I'm sure insurers will be swift to exclude them from cover.....
Old May 14, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
For those worried about losing valuable information on a laptop why not just move the hard drive so at least you will have all your data in your hand luggage?
Old May 14, 2017, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by SonTech
For those worried about losing valuable information on a laptop why not just move the hard drive so at least you will have all your data in your hand luggage?
i dunno about yours ... but the SSD in my laptop isnt exactly accessible.
Old May 14, 2017, 11:43 am

I thought hard drives, like power banks, are not permitted in cabin bags already?
Old May 14, 2017, 11:51 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
The elephant in the room so to speak is if that our detection equipment is unable to detect a bomb in a laptop surly it can't detect a bomb in a lot of other items which are not banned. Just looking at my case the fold away handle, wheels, feet, all could be potential hiding places to be combined on the plan. Add mobile phones, share batteries etc.

Banning electronics is not addressing the underlying problem, is is papering over one crack.
Old May 14, 2017, 11:54 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH D, QFF, EB
I'm having to reconsider my holiday plans for this year as I was looking at the Carribean for some scuba diving as I have a DSLR with lenses, underwater housing and strobes I'm having second thoughts as I will not put those in the hold.

Unfortunately the islands I want to go to involve a US connection, (plus the additional TP's). Now looking at somewhere more rational, what's North Korea like?
Old May 14, 2017, 12:08 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Take KLM or Tui from Amsterdam to Bonaire. World's best shore diving, no US connection. Problem solved.
Old May 14, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: Delta
it sure seems like our government (US) is wanting to put all the financial and public relations nightmares onto the airlines rather than deal with this threat rather than up the security at airports they consider a danger...I believe US can put in place what they need on the ground to deal with this. The thought of luggage full of electronics will be such an enticement for thieves I can't believe they are considering this.
Old May 14, 2017, 12:48 pm

Programs: GGL
Originally Posted by Worcester
The elephant in the room so to speak is if that our detection equipment is unable to detect a bomb in a laptop surly it can't detect a bomb in a lot of other items which are not banned. Just looking at my case the fold away handle, wheels, feet, all could be potential hiding places to be combined on the plan. Add mobile phones, share batteries etc.

Banning electronics is not addressing the underlying problem, is is papering over one crack.
While first noting that nearly all is speculation, most of us probably have experience of being asked to turn on computer equipment to prove it works, from which one might deduce the scanners have a particular challenge distinguishing between some electronic components and some explosive devices. The new intelligence could therefore relate to electronic products that have been engineered to contain enough explosive but retain sufficient functionality to at least switch on. This would then exclude your case, although perhaps not some of the recent Kickstarter type offerings with built in batteries et al.
Old May 14, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
Originally Posted by MPH1980
i dunno about yours ... but the SSD in my laptop isnt exactly accessible.
Most hard drives are secured by a couple of screws, not sure about apple products though.

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
I thought hard drives, like power banks, are not permitted in cabin bags already?
Not as far as I know, I've always carried my hard drives in my hand luggage.
As far as power banks go they are allowed as long as under a certain size, 160W/h if I remember correctly..
Old May 14, 2017, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by SonTech
Not as far as I know, I've always carried my hard drives in my hand luggage.
As far as power banks go they are allowed as long as under a certain size, 160W/h if I remember correctly..
I meant under the existing ban. I heard a customer was not allowed a hdd from IST recently and there are first hand reports on here of power banks being banned in hold an cabin bags.
Old May 14, 2017, 1:24 pm

I think I'd just keep a laptop over in the U.S. permanently to use when there and then travel without electronics other than my phone. That seems like the least hassle.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.