Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do BA partner with AMEX?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:35 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by Olly-
Isn't the Tim Hortons credit card a Visa?

I still find it amusing they have their own credit card.
Tim's absolutely takes visa. Why not have their own card? It's like a national currency, right alongside Canadian Tire money. As a trivia tidbit, CT money is printed by the same company who used to make banknotes for the mint.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by spanglysteve
Costco DO take amex but wont take Visa or Mastercard credit cards (although they do take Visa/MC debit cards)
Just to be clear, this was due to an exclusive partnership in the USA between Costco and AMEX - no other reason. That partnership ended last year and is now a partnership with Visa, so Costco in the USA now only accepts Visa-branded CCs.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by T8191
A mixed collection here in JER. Grocery = yes @ Waitrose, no @ Co-op.
I use mine all the time at Coop and Food Hall in Jersey :-)
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:35 am

Programs: OneWorld, Star Alliance, SkyTeam, AMEX
Originally Posted by beany_bot
I'm sure this will have been mentioned before but its madness that BRITISH airways partner with a card that's hardly accepted in BRITAIN. Surely Visa or MC would make much more sense. I have no intention what so ever in getting their AMEX card as I had AMEX before and got tired of being told "we don't accept that".

Just seems so odd.
I assume you don't live in the UK. You are incorrect. I can't remember last time I could not use AMEX. Even my local barbers now take it. My local garages started taking it (all of them, not a case just a couple years ago), even DVLA.

Just think about it, virtually all proper supermarkets take it, virtually all petrol stations, public transport . Most restaurants. Even places like Co-Op take it. There goes most of your spending. There are some discount supermarkets but some of them don't take any credit cards.

AMEX has superior customer service (UK based). I was able to recover thousands of pounds in chargebacks over the years. Including one large Paypal transaction which no other card would do (the "intermediary" rule).

I only carry AMEX nowdays - nothing else, I often even leave my debit card at home. Amex acceptance has improved hugely in the UK over the last few years.

I think you should ask a different question, why would BA partner with Visa or Mastercard? I would certainly not want one.

PS. Most people don't know that, but AMEX is the biggest CC provider in the world, bigger than Visa or MasterCard (in terms of total value spent on cards).

Last edited by johnspenceruk; Apr 26, 2017 at 12:44 am
Old Apr 26, 2017, 2:09 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Oddly there's a small Chinese takeaway in Cardigan, Ceredigion, where the only card they take is an American Express. They still use the old paper carbon copies to take payment as well.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 2:51 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by Olly-
Isn't the Tim Hortons credit card a Visa?

I still find it amusing they have their own credit card.
maybe they'll have a UK one soon
Old Apr 26, 2017, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by BrianDromey
Oh for the days when Curve was linked to my Lloyds Amex (I was getting double Avios as it was my first 6 months too). It was short, but sweet!

Inquisitively - anyone heard any updates/news of this partnership being reignited?
Old Apr 26, 2017, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by Leaping_Deere
AMEX has come on leaps and bounds in the UK in terms of who accepts it. A lot of merchants get it standard now when they apply for merchant accounts.

They regularly have promotions to attract small business. IIRC they now have a flat fee of 2.5% for small merchants, which isn't fair off the going rate for credit card fees.

I have a BA Amex but i don't use it as much as perhaps I ought to. I have a business platinum which I do the bulk purchases and just transfer the AMEX points to the private Avois
Sorry to drag this OT, but I was thinking about getting the plat business card as well but couldn't work out if it attracted the car hire / hotel partner status perks that the personal card does? It doesn't mention them explicitly on the plat business page as it does on the personal plat page, but then it mentions other things instead. Of course I may just have missed it.

I would prefer the business one (as it attracts 40k sign up bonus) but think long term the car hire and hotel perks might stack up well against the 10k I would lose out on.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 5:22 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by Sharratt4
Sorry to drag this OT, but I was thinking about getting the plat business card as well but couldn't work out if it attracted the car hire / hotel partner status perks that the personal card does? It doesn't mention them explicitly on the plat business page as it does on the personal plat page, but then it mentions other things instead. Of course I may just have missed it.

I would prefer the business one (as it attracts 40k sign up bonus) but think long term the car hire and hotel perks might stack up well against the 10k I would lose out on.
Don't forget if you are referred for the personal Platinum the bonus is 35k miles, not 30k.

And also the spend requirement is £6k in 3 months on the business Plat, whereas it's £2k in 3 months on the personal one.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Calum
Well, the machines used by small business do in fact take Amex, it's usually just the store trying to avoid amex's high fees compared to MC/VISA.

I used to work at a large Scottish retail store, that has a large showroom in every city in Scotland. Policy was to tell customers we didn't take amex. If they didn't have anything else we would get another member of staff, pretend to be makings lots of effort computer and then process the transaction.

I use my Amex around the highlands and 8/9 out of 10 places accept it, or I just used my lloyds avios MC which only earns 0.25 avios per £1.
Actually the PDQ that we use doesn't work for AMEX it just says not recognised when the card is entered. This was a corporate decision I believe much to the dismay of customers who are hoping to use their BA card. I had to show one customer it didn't work when they said it probably would because they were so insistent and then surprised.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 5:42 am

Programs: BAEC (Silver), IHG (Plat Elite)
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
maybe they'll have a UK one soon
Tim Horton's opens in Glasgow next month ! ^

I wonder if they'll take AMEX.............
Old Apr 27, 2017, 5:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Rewards Spire Ambassador
I live in Scotland and find a LOT of places won't take it. Any local shops, coffee shops, independent restaurants all don't take it.

Sure big chains (McDonalds etc) do take it. But many local places do not.

Just seems a bit mad they would partner with a CC not widely (certainly compared to VISA and MC) accepted.
I live in Scotland too and manage to use it in almost all the places I want to use it, including local shops and restaurants. Scotland isn't a single place so it may just be where you are. On the rare occasion I can't (B&Q being the main example) just use my VS Visa card instead. If your shopping pattern varies that much you could always get another Avios-earning card and use that as a backup.

The economics behind interchange fees (particularly with the recent changes) means that Amex makes more sense as a travel partner than a Visa or MasterCard - which you can certainly see in the differential in points awarded to other schemes that offer both.

If shopping online you can easily set it up to fund your Paypal account so you can use it for online shops that don't take it (which is a solution to a UK wide issue rather than an outside London one).

I do find that contactless is a bit hit and miss at places where Amex is actually accepted, which I presume is due to the retailers not having updated their software - but chip & pin works just fine.
Old May 2, 2017, 7:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Jagboi
Isn't it only their own Mastercard, not any Mastercard? I'm assuming this is for in store purchases, I know online is different.

My problem with Amex is the annual fee. Last time I looked to get a card with similar benefits to my visa card the Amex annual fee was $700. Absolutely no way I could justify that.
They take any MasterCard (excluding some US Debit MasterCards due to some kind of fee dispute. )
Old May 3, 2017, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by mmogdan
Co-Op CI are rolling out support for Amex. They're trialling it at Maufaunt and will then roll out to all stores
Originally Posted by crazyegg
I use mine all the time at Coop and Food Hall in Jersey
Whichever one of you is right, it's about time.

We will check Grande Marche in due course.
Old May 3, 2017, 5:54 am

I'm sure this will have been mentioned before but its madness that BRITISH airways partner with a card that's hardly accepted in BRITAIN. Surely Visa or MC would make much more sense. I have no intention what so ever in getting their AMEX card as I had AMEX before and got tired of being told "we don't accept that".

Just seems so odd.
BA used to team up with NATWEST before they moved to AMEX just over 10 years ago, so maybe they made them a better offer. Those were the days when a Gold exec card would also give you free annual travel insurance, so change is not always for the better

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.