Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do BA partner with AMEX?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:27 pm

Costco DO take amex but wont take Visa or Mastercard credit cards (although they do take Visa/MC debit cards)
Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:33 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by spanglysteve
Costco DO take amex but wont take Visa or Mastercard credit cards (although they do take Visa/MC debit cards)
But Costco in Canada have stopped taking Amex but accept MC and Visa!😜

Costco UK have a cash back Amex of their own.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:34 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
My experience here in Glasgow is that Amex is widely accepted, but that I'm not surprised by smaller places that don't take it.

At Oran Mor once, we settled our bill by Amex with one of the staff, only for the manager (I assume) to come over and say that he would "let us away" with it this time, but that they don't accept it, and that he was within his rights to cancel the transaction! I said that he could refund us if he wanted, but we wouldn't be paying again!!
You have many small stores whose card machines acutally accept American Express, but they say they personally don't accept American Express if you know what I mean.

Once at a laundry store I told the salesman 'I don't know' and played ignorant (straight out of the Alex Cruz playbook!!!) when he asked me if my card was Amex or not. I said let's give it a try and I actually paid contactless Amex with Apple Pay so he couldn't see the card = )
When he saw that the transaction went through and he printed the reciept of the card machine and it said American Express on it, he got angry and said never do that again, the accountant gets very angry!
Needless to say I found another dry cleaner who actually does accept American Express without crying wolf about it.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 3:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK, DL, IHG Diamond, HHonours Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
AMEX has come on leaps and bounds in the UK in terms of who accepts it. A lot of merchants get it standard now when they apply for merchant accounts.

They regularly have promotions to attract small business. IIRC they now have a flat fee of 2.5% for small merchants, which isn't fair off the going rate for credit card fees.

I have a BA Amex but i don't use it as much as perhaps I ought to. I have a business platinum which I do the bulk purchases and just transfer the AMEX points to the private Avois
Old Apr 25, 2017, 4:14 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
When I came over the UK 25 years ago, I had my Australian Amex card. I happened to be in their West End office for some reason and when they found out I was staying for 2 years on my working holiday visa, they offered to transfer my card to UK based one no questions asked. Given that I was contracting at the time, I thought it was fantastic. The only bank to let me open an account was the then Abbey Nat - but only a debit card, not a credit card.

Having the Amex was great, but it was pretty limited then. Sainsburys, car hire and travel agents seem to be it. How times have changed.

Some oddities exist. I was getting lunch at the Japan Centre in the West End today and the hot food counter eftpos machine doesn't accept Amex, but their main shop tills do. Couldn't be bothered to go there to queue and pay so just used my Lloyds Avios Amex.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 4:33 pm

Massive north/ south divide, for example Everyman in London take it but not in the north.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
And it is really rather good, comparatively.

Originally Posted by benjai
Do you have amex/card protection using PayPal? I always just use the mastercard in this case rather than amex via paypal.
No Section 75, but you would get whatever protection PayPal provides...I don't know the details on how good that is.

Originally Posted by GlasgowBlue
For the ones that don't 99% of them accept PayPal and you can set up your PayPal account with your BA Amex so you pay through PayPal but essentially you're still able to use your Amex for the purchase.
Be aware, though, that merchants can block/disable Amex through PayPal if they wish to (although many do not).
Old Apr 25, 2017, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by dddc
When I came over the UK 25 years ago,
Having the Amex was great, but it was pretty limited then. Sainsburys, car hire and travel agents seem to be it. How times have changed.
If Sainsburys took it 25 years ago then only just as I can remember the launch. The office was full of dummy plastic cards for months.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 5:08 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Unfortunately I have a fair few sizeable transactions coming and all of them say "all major credit cards accepted with the exception of american express"

The majority seem to be interior design related, and its annoying as they amount to tens of thousands of pounds. One supplier will take it but charges 3% + VAT extra. Of the 2 cars I've bought in the last 3 years, despite one having the american express placard on their desk, they would only accept it for £500 of the total transaction.

So yes, its wonderful that I can do my weekly shop on Amex, and buy my £2 espresso, but approximately £70k in cars, and £40k in home hardware has been a big no.

Last edited by aceman; Apr 25, 2017 at 5:13 pm
Old Apr 25, 2017, 5:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
But Costco in Canada have stopped taking Amex but accept MC and Visa!��

Actually they just accept MasterCard here in Canada. They do take Visa online though. A few Canadian retailers only accept MasterCard though (In fact Tim Hortons only used to take MasterCard but now takes Amex as well). Canada is a bit of a weird market though, I've seen places that only take Debit and Visa and places that only take Debit and AmEx as well. Then some places don't take debit either. You need all 4 (Visa, MC, AmEx and Interac) cards here really!

Its a bit of a weird situation as Costco US only take Visa. So Costco cards from one country can't be used in the other.

When I was living in the UK I rarely ever went anywhere that didn't take Amex. Even Poundland take Amex now!
Old Apr 25, 2017, 5:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Barnaby100
Massive north/ south divide, for example Everyman in London take it but not in the north.
I was working in Sheffield for a short time and was surprised literally everywhere seemed to take it, even takeaway places and franchises that don't normally take it (like Subway and Premier stores).
Old Apr 25, 2017, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by reclusive46
A few Canadian retailers only accept MasterCard though (In fact Tim Hortons only used to take MasterCard but now takes Amex as well).
Isn't the Tim Hortons credit card a Visa?

I still find it amusing they have their own credit card.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by shefgab
I certainly think the rest of the country should invest in contactless technology for public transport
Alternative phrasing: 'I certainly think the government should invest in public transport outside London'.

The government spends six times more per person on transport in London than the North. Forgive us for not equipping our hourly bus with contactless to pay our £4 fare.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 6:59 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
Not anymore in the US, they switched to Visa.

Originally Posted by spanglysteve
Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:29 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by reclusive46
Actually they just accept MasterCard here in Canada.
Isn't it only their own Mastercard, not any Mastercard? I'm assuming this is for in store purchases, I know online is different.

My problem with Amex is the annual fee. Last time I looked to get a card with similar benefits to my visa card the Amex annual fee was $700. Absolutely no way I could justify that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.