Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New member. Hi! (3 Point Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2017, 1:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: BRONZE (Basic member: KLM, Emirates, United)
Smile New member. Hi! (3 Point Thread)

Deleted

Last edited by bot_beany; May 16, 2017 at 11:13 am
Old Apr 25, 2017, 1:43 am

1.1 guest is exactly that.You may well get away with a baby,but when s/he turns into a child that will be a problem.

2.I use my avios for flight redemptions,but upgrades are equally useful.What will you do with baby/child?Have you looked into opening a household account?

3.BA seem to be changing the equipment on SAN rather regularly,so cant help.

4.Welcome to the BA forum.C-W-S will be along shortly to make it "official".
Old Apr 25, 2017, 1:48 am
Original Poster

Deleted

Last edited by bot_beany; May 16, 2017 at 11:13 am
Old Apr 25, 2017, 1:52 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
1. Babies don't need their own seat and don't count as a guest. If they're two, they're strictly a guest.

2. You'll usually get more value per point by upgrading but it depends on the route, availability, and preferences. It's not a hard and fast rule: if you need to do a midweek transatlantic return in summer with no Saturday night you'll probably get more value (financially) in economy, as opposed to upgrading from economy to premium economy for a fortnight in February.

Personally, I get a lot of value out of last minute short-haul bookings and upgrades from World Traveller Plus to Club World - and I suspect that's a common answer for those who fly enough to earn the miles. But it's all down to your own financial and personal circumstances.

(Someone I know was delighted to get 0.5p/avios on a redemption with a purely because he always flies paid First anyway, hence can't be upgraded and has more avios than he knows how to use; personally, I wouldn't redeem below 1p/avios).

3./4. As above.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 1:54 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by beany_bot
1. She is 14months old right now. I assume they see 2y/o as the turning point? (as that is the age she becomes a PAX and needs a seat). If that is the case... Do they ask to see passports? or just "estimate" age like a bus driver? She is very little...

2. Didn't know there was such a thing as a household account? My wife never really flies (she is a teacher) so not sure there would be much benefit? Does it mean we can collect both our points on the one (my) account?

3. Thanks anyway.
Yes, there is a household account. It means that your avios are pooled, so that if you redeem and you have 90% of the avios, you pay 90%, she pays 10%.... if she rarely flies it would mean that any miles she earns aren't orphaned. There are some restrictions around transfers between avios programmes though, so it's not all one way in favour of them. (For instance, Iberia long-haul redemptions can be very good value if you have an Iberia Plus account as well as BAEC - but transferring between a household account and IB is harder or maybe even impossible).
Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cymro
1. Babies don't need their own seat and don't count as a guest. If they're two, they're strictly a guest.
Thanks, I understand.

However... by "strictly" a guest. Can i ask if anyone has personal experience... do they literally check all babies age via passport? or is it at the discretion of the club staff? I know it's not technically right but it's hardly the crime of the century getting my family into the lounge once or twice if she is 2 years and 4 days old.

I ask because we are planning a short holiday next year (feb/march) but she will just have ticked over to 2 years old.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:02 am

Household accounts mean all your paid flights credit to the individual,and the total pot is aggregated.You need a head of household,who manages the account.When little one is on a paid ticket you can collect avios for her into the household account.It is much easier for family holiday redemptions,and when she starts going places with her friends like young rapidex does,you can just get her a ticket.(Forward planning)

Whilst you cannot transfer Iberia avios into a BAEC account,the workaround is to go IB-Avios avios-BA.The transfer is instant.

Now you are hooked,I guess we will see more of you here
Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:03 am

Thanks, I understand.

However... by "strictly" a guest. Can i ask if anyone has personal experience... do they literally check all babies age via passport? or is it at the discretion of the club staff? I know it's not technically right but it's hardly the crime of the century getting my family into the lounge once or twice if she is 2 years and 4 days old.

I ask because we are planning a short holiday next year (feb/march) but she will just have ticked over to 2 years old.
They scan the boarding passes at the lounge entrance.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rapidex
They scan the boarding passes at the lounge entrance.
Urgh. That's that then.. ah well. Least I can use the lounge on my business travel.
That said, I always try and make my connection as tight as possible so rarely have any down time in the airport.

If we go somewhere in December I can get them both in I suppose. XMAS vacation? lol
Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:08 am

Urgh. That's that then.. ah well. Least I can use the lounge on my business travel.
That said, I always try and make my connection as tight as possible so rarely have any down time in the airport.

If we go somewhere in December I can get them both in I suppose. XMAS vacation? lol
Get yourself Gold Guest List and you can guest 2 in.First stop read up on tier point runs.Then join the rest of us nutcases.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:12 am
Original Poster

Get yourself Gold Guest List and you can guest 2 in.First stop read up on tier point runs.Then join the rest of us nutcases.
Ooft no lol

I always said to myself the day I find I have a gold card is the day I quit my job. As it will mean I'm not spending enough time with my family. But sure I see the perks. ^
Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:14 am

Location: Northumberland (The big bit between Newcastle & Scotland).
Programs: BAEC & VS.
The San Diego flights on 10th & 17th Nov are showing as Boeing 777-300's, so yes it will be the good WT+^
Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:16 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Gift the wife a multi-leg, weekend vacation. Problem solved.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bat 21
The San Diego flights on 10th & 17th Nov are showing as Boeing 777-300's, so yes it will be the good WT+^
That's really great news. Thank you. It's night and day compared to the older WT+

Quick further question. For my San Diego flights, I bought WT+ return (That's what my company policy is for long haul). Then a few days later got an email saying I had been upgraded (out and back) to CE for the Glasgow to London portions. Any idea why? It's good for tier points for sure but just wondering why they did that? Was it because I booked WT+ for the trip as a whole? not complaining at all just curious.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:29 am

Location: Northumberland (The big bit between Newcastle & Scotland).
Programs: BAEC & VS.
Yes - pretty sure it is because you booked WT+ that your domestic flights are classed as CE.

I returned from San Diego the day after the domestic CE was introduced, and my domestic up to Newcastle had me in CE as a result of flying CW from SD - looks like it must be the same for WT+.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.