Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Giveth and then Promptly Taketh...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2017, 2:01 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), SPG (Lifetime Plat), Star Alliance, One World, Virgin (Gold)
"I personally think CE represents fantastic value for money"

I would love to hear 5 solid reasons how Club Europe provides fantastic value for money

That's pure Club Europe, no Gold, no status....
Old Apr 23, 2017, 2:07 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I am happy to pay to pay for CE because I am happy to for a guaranteed empty middle seat.

I can't work if there is someone right next to me, and sleeping is less comfortable with someone in the middle seat too.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, and BAEC in name only
Originally Posted by psollitt
And at Island Bakery
My wife regularly drops hints for me to pick up some lemon melts from the organic food store near work.

At Ł3.40 for a pack of 12 I think they're probably doing OK
Old Apr 23, 2017, 2:17 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), SPG (Lifetime Plat), Star Alliance, One World, Virgin (Gold)
I fly into Europe at least once or twice a month, usually at short notice. Using avios works, but paying up to Euros 500 per sector doesn't.

The catering is atrocious, except of course if you are flying to/from LCY, where the standard is lot higher.

Just arrived in Europe tonight using avios in Y, middle seat empty on a very full flight.

I just cant justify the ridiculous prices for C/E, unless it via avios.. If you want a spare middle seat, sometimes cheaper to buy 2 economy seats...
Old Apr 23, 2017, 2:50 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by cornishsimon
Quite !!!!

I can only imagine how much impact this has had for example on Roddas, I know that clotted cream is still on longhaul and I think some longer shorthaul routes but even so, that's heck of a drop in production for a company. However how much they actually make per pot sold to BA I wouldn't want to guess, but suspect it's very little. The big impact will be on jobs

Luckily for Roddas, Cornwall is currently very popular so I suspect they are doing well.

cs
Hi cornishsimon

My husband and I promise to eat lots more scones with Roddas clotted cream on our next visit to England. The way my husband packs them in, he could make up for the Roddas BA lost business in one trip! Can't guarantee that he'll get the jam and cream the right way round though.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 2:53 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by LSunbury
My wife regularly drops hints for me to pick up some lemon melts from the organic food store near work.

At Ł3.40 for a pack of 12 I think they're probably doing OK
A positive bargain compared to Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...=1FSJDTOAOCR77
Old Apr 23, 2017, 3:13 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Premier Owl
I just cant justify the ridiculous prices for C/E, unless it via avios.. If you want a spare middle seat, sometimes cheaper to buy 2 economy seats...
In the olden days on the VIE route, the appearance of a fairly decent hot meal during the flight psychologically made up for the pathetic 'business class' seating. So, I occasionally considered booking redemption flights in Club Europe now that the Euro Traveller product has been well and truly destroyed. But the thought of a Ł2 panini, afternoon sandwich fingers or salad concoction have just about blown any chances of me booking CE, even with a healthy stash of Avios. I'll keep those for AB, AA, CX redemptions instead!

The old band 3 flights that have fallen into the new Medium banding really are in a sad state.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 3:21 pm

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Chris_G
Two nasty finger sandwiches and a piece of rye bread with an unidentified substance smeared on top. OK I'll live with it because what I'm really after is the scone, jam and clotted cream. No...!! It's been replaced with a spongy something or other masquerading as a scone...

One step too far BA...as I used to love shovelling the cream and jam on top of the scone and then attempt to stuff the resulting edifice into my cakehole without it self destructing into my lap...!!
Another vote to reinstate the scones! Never mind any of those 'empty calories' protein elements.... the warm scones, jam and cream (in that order of course) was a very positive aspect of the CE experience.

I'm not doing CE again for a few months but I feel the next time will be a substantial disappointment.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 3:29 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by simons1
Roddas have other customers beyond BA. I enjoyed a nice cream scone on Emirates today.
Even the recently-much-scorned United has Roddas clotted cream on some flights.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
......... sleeping is less comfortable with someone in the middle seat too.
No! You can let your head rest on their shoulder rather than "lean and jerk" which is what happens when there's nothing to snuggle against!
Old Apr 23, 2017, 4:37 pm

BA are still a big customer of Roddas - they even serve them to economy passengers in world traveller.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 7:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

I hope the OP fed their comments into the SCCM's iPad, there is a team monitoring this feed (as well as FT, or so I've been told).
Let's hope it's not the same team who monitor the official Twitter feed, where some truly bizarre responses have on occasion appeared from BA staffers.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by FrancisA
I personally think CE represents fantastic value for money (in my case, my money not my employer's). However, I have always been critical of afternoon tea, believing a more substantial alternative should be offered. If you enjoy or enjoyed the scones, you are in a very small minority.

As for the rest of the CE product, the comparison needs to be with real competitors, not those operating in markets where few ever purchase the product and your protectionist government will allow you to go bankrupt so you don't need to change your failed business model.
Real competitors, except those in North America, South America, Africa, Asia and Australasia then? It's only in Europe you can find all the airlines flogging economy seats as business class.

I don't know which of the big three or four airlines in the EU started the trend but to try and claim paying two or three times more for a free scone and a stale sandwich counts as value for money?
Old Apr 23, 2017, 11:02 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by 1010101
I don't know which of the big three or four airlines in the EU started the trend but to try and claim paying two or three times more for a free scone and a stale sandwich counts as value for money?
Well now, the rhetoric gets so intense on the downside that surely we can forgive a bit of flourish on the positive side from time to time

I think this characterisation is a bit unfair. I did not pay for afternoon tea CE before, it simply wasn't worth it. Clearly I would not pay for it now. But food need not be the only thing people value CE for. While it is questionable whether space is a valuable proposition in CE any longer unless you are Gold or above, for many that is worthwhile. I've pad for CE because it was 60 quid more and I needed to check three bags.

That doesn't mean it's a great experience, or even a good one, any longer all around. And for me PSA-LHR at lunchtime or dinner was worth a few quid extra for the meal you used to get, on top of the other benefits, and I would pay for it. Now? No. Simple as that. But of course there are always going to be scenarios where you'd just go CE, it would be silly not to.

I am really, really pissed off at BA for its recent changes - not just the CE changes, to be clear, which look to me as a way of introducing CE on Domestic will being relatively cost neutral. Still if I can get CE for 35 quid more I'm going to take it. There is more than enough in the product to justify that much. TPs and row 1. Good to go.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by simons1
I enjoyed a nice cream scone on Emirates today.
And much bigger, higher quality than BA could provide ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.