Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

First time transferring from LGW to LHR - How is it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2017, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: EXP,EX-CK 2.5mm, now lifetime Platinum, ex-UA1K, Marriott- Platinum, Hertz 5*

Hello,

I am flying the relatively new BA flight from Oakland, California to London Gatwick Airport in Club World. I'm an old pro at Heathrow but have never set foot in Gatwick, so I've been looking for Youtube videos, threads here, etc. describing what it's like to arrive at Gatwick and then transfer via the National Express to take my flight to TLS. Arrival at LGW is 9:30 am and departure is same day at 1:55 pm.

I am guessing the reason all the guides are written as Heathrow to Gatwick is because that's much more challenging and that perhaps at Gatwick you just walk out the South Terminal and the Airport Express is right there, nothing to figure out?

Would appreciate any details from someone who has transferred from LGW to LHR, as well as any advice.

Thanks!
Old Apr 23, 2017, 8:54 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Piece of cake !

Come out of Customs and head past the Costa and WH Smith - you will see 2 exits, 1 either side of the currency booth. Take the righthand one to the outside and go down a level (lifts to your right, ramp to your left).

NatEx coaches leave from the bays along the road immediately in front of you (this side of the car park). There is plenty of posted signage on which bay for the various LHR services and usually a helpful member of NatEx staff wandering around.

Really couldn't be easier
Old Apr 23, 2017, 9:15 am

+1 for National Express as the way to get between the two. I think it's by far the most hassle-free way of doing it.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I agree. NEX is the easiest and least bother.

Unless you have a specific need to go into central london then just avoid the train/tube/train route or train/tube route.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Arriving at 9:30 am means you should miss most of the rush and assuming there are no accidents the transfer on NEX should take no more than 1 hour leaving you plenty of time.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
NEX user here. Not had to do LGW-LHR from the South Terminal yet, but last time through (connecting, cigarette break kerbside) I checked the signage which is very clear.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:16 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Check with UBER they might have a good fare to transfer between the two airports @:-)
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:17 am

As most flights coming from west, always arrive ahead of schedule. most likely you will be out of the terminal at Gatwick before 10am, which is the peak times on the M25, one of UK busiest motorway. few here on flyertalk reported that it took them just over 2hours and half to get from Gatwick to Heathrow or vice versa.
If you travelling during the weekdays, consider taking the Gatwick express into London, the train takes 15min to arrive into Victoria Station. then a taxi or the tube (6stops) to Paddington Station to catch the Heathrow express that takes 22min to Heathrow. And if you arrive early to Paddington Station there's great coffee shops around to relax and catch some fresh air. trains are much more frequent then national express.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Was just going to mention that!! My morning runs have been LHR-LGW, and the traffic in the other direction is miles and miles of 3-4 lanes of static traffic.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:33 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by T8191
Was just going to mention that!! My morning runs have been LHR-LGW, and the traffic in the other direction is miles and miles of 3-4 lanes of static traffic.
depends on the time. I live halfway between LGW and LHR & travel regularly both ways and there's normally a big falloff in traffic by 9:30am clearing clockwise. By 10:30 am at junction 10 (the time the OP will get through) it's normally clear.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, Flying Blue
Separate question but related. BA want to put me on a connecting flight to Newquay from LGW with Flybe after arriving in Heathrow on BA. Firstly, is it worth doing it this way or am I better off getting the train from Paddington. If I do choose to take the flight, then is my flight protected considering it's all one ticket despite being two different airlines? They only are giving 3 hours for connection on a Sunday evening and I know how the M25 can be...
Old Apr 23, 2017, 11:16 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Sunday evenings on the M25 shouldn't be too bad, and the NEX drivers know how to avoid problems if their colleagues report traffic jams. The trains may be subject to engineering problems, and as you suggest, by flying you protect the connection. I'm not sure where your final destination would be, but there may be a LGW alternative.

As for general guidance on this connection, there is a very detailed guide to transferring between LGW and LHR in the Forum Dashboard, admittedly referring a lot to LGW North rather than South, but that doesn't make a huge difference.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
That's too close for comfort in my mind.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 11:18 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by cattp
Separate question but related. BA want to put me on a connecting flight to Newquay from LGW with Flybe after arriving in Heathrow on BA. Firstly, is it worth doing it this way or am I better off getting the train from Paddington. If I do choose to take the flight, then is my flight protected considering it's all one ticket despite being two different airlines? They only are giving 3 hours for connection on a Sunday evening and I know how the M25 can be...
Check the train times for the Sunday in question, before you accept going by train. Depending on engineering works, the last train can be before midday!
Old Apr 23, 2017, 11:34 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Skyrocker
As most flights coming from west, always arrive ahead of schedule. most likely you will be out of the terminal at Gatwick before 10am, which is the peak times on the M25, one of UK busiest motorway. few here on flyertalk reported that it took them just over 2hours and half to get from Gatwick to Heathrow or vice versa.
If you travelling during the weekdays, consider taking the Gatwick express into London, the train takes 15min to arrive into Victoria Station. then a taxi or the tube (6stops) to Paddington Station to catch the Heathrow express that takes 22min to Heathrow. And if you arrive early to Paddington Station there's great coffee shops around to relax and catch some fresh air. trains are much more frequent then national express.
Just a note Gatwick Express takes 30 mins not 15 mins so the train route isn't that quick actually unless its absolute bedlam on the M25.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.