Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tennis Bag as Handbaggage

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2017, 5:46 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
That's great , they make exceptions in other areas such as musical instruments, so I see no problem at all with this.
Old May 22, 2017, 1:49 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Premier Owl
well done MSM200UK, I am delighted that you managed to beat the system.

What concerns me here are 2 points - and advanced apologies if this sounds personal, but its not..

1. I think its very wrong that a f/t moderator sets out to beat the system and creates a thread about look at me, I beat the system..

2. It once again concerns me that BA boarding/gate staff and crew show very little interest in the size of the hand luggage brought on board.
Absolutely no worries about me taking the comments personally - I'm made of stronger stuff!

I'll address the points in reverse order.

BA paid no attention to my tennis-bag at LHR, nor at NCE upon my return yesterday. The latter I can appreciate, but I was indeed surprised that LHR weren't interested in checking the sizing etc.

Fortunately, the flight to NCE was on a 767, so perhaps that allowed the gate staff to be more lenient.

What I will also add, is that there are 2 tennis players on my flight to TLV this morning. Both have large racket bags, and neither were stopped at the gate. Neither are professional players, but evidently they play tennis and have taken their bags.

In terms of the Mod comment, I did not set out to 'beat the system'. What I set out to do, was save myself some time upon landing - and I asked a very innocent question.

As frequent flyers, we see far more 'rules' being broken across all airlines - whether linked to baggage size (taking a wedding dress onboard) or skipping the last leg of a flight (ex-EU flights).

However, BA has a human side, and I'm glad for it.

Many on the BA Forum praise the airline for its staff across the board (no pun intended), and we favour BA over other airlines because of the friendly attitudes.

The day that BA becomes regimental over issues which do not directly affect it, will be the beginning of the end.

M
Old May 22, 2017, 2:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Thought of this thread going through T5S security, the girl in front of me had 2 tennis racquets and nobody batted an eyelid.

Seems as though it's just the ovezealous MAN security that apply those rules.
Old May 22, 2017, 4:15 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Update time - the bag has made it safely into the CCR.

No questions or issues at the First Wing.

Next stop Gate A8 (although obviously I've awarded myself with breakfast).

M
I have a further point of concern here: you appear to be travelling wearing green slippers! Standards these days...
Old May 22, 2017, 7:49 am

Programs: loyalty?! BA Gold, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
My tennis bag, is sized 78 x 28 x 34 cm. I appreciate this is slightly larger in total dimensions than the BA handbaggage allowance (56cm x 45cm x 25cm).

Would BA allow me onboard with my racket bag (2 rackets inside)?

The BA website states rackets & sticks should be checked-in, but I've seen numerous other passengers travelling with tennis rackets onboard.

M
my wife was a professional player, she never had an issue with racquet bag as HB. I think the argument that racquets are valuable and the potential bad press for breaking a players racquets mean it's not worth the fight. Also, most bags can be squeezed down a bit, which helps.
Old May 22, 2017, 11:12 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by bhbloke
Thought of this thread going through T5S security, the girl in front of me had 2 tennis racquets and nobody batted an eyelid.

She was on my flight to TLV this morning, but she had them in a normal sized backpack.

Originally Posted by Deltus
I have a further point of concern here: you appear to be travelling wearing green slippers! Standards these days...
They're Tods Driving Shoes
Old May 22, 2017, 4:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Diamond, IHG Diamond
Anyone had any experience of taking rackets through T3 to BCN and back?

Ideally would like to take 2 in a normal sized rucksack with the handles poking out of the top (as per the link quite a bit above) rather than trying to stuff them in a case.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 3:06 am

I really enjoyed reading all the thoughts and experiences shared on this thread.

One thing is certain, carrying tennis rackets (or tennis bags) on board a flight can be hit and miss. Using this thread as inspiration, I wrote a short blog post below that outlines the relevant policies for the main international airlines.

https://www.epiruslondon.com/blogs/tennis-hacks-blog/the-definitive-guide-to-flying-with-tennis-rackets

Thanks for all the great ideas here and let me know what you think of the blog post - would love your feedback.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by bhbloke

Its actually the CAA that have prohibited tennis racquets in hand luggage, so any UK airport that allows them through security is risking sanctions and fines from the department for transportation
Old Jul 27, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Banashtar
Its actually the CAA that have prohibited tennis racquets in hand luggage, so any UK airport that allows them through security is risking sanctions and fines from the department for transportation
Just wear the rackets on your feet and dress like an eskimo. Problem solved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.