Tennis Bag as Handbaggage

Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:35 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Originally Posted by BrianWBrazil
But its not a bat, its a racket :-)
Old Apr 24, 2017, 5:20 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
My take on it is that I would follow the stipulated rules myself, irrespective of seeing over people flouting them; not lowering yourself to their level.

Of course, you can 'risk it for a biscuit', but bear in mind that should you meet any resistance, they are just doing their job and ensure that the bag is sufficiently packed for the hold just in case. Additionally lets hope someone else wouldn't need to check their bag as a result of your actions.

Hope you have a great time in Nice and best of luck with the tennis.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: BA Silver
I am always amazed at people wanting to push the boundaries and break the rules, and they are usually the first to complain that there was no space left in the overhead for their bag. Customers don't want BA to pre-board people who give up their luggage at the gate - but the 'rule breakers' are contributing to the airline having to put such processes into place.

Your tennis bag is clearly far beyond the size limitation - so why expect to be allowed to take it?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:35 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by cayman4522
I am always amazed at people wanting to push the boundaries and break the rules, and they are usually the first to complain that there was no space left in the overhead for their bag. Customers don't want BA to pre-board people who give up their luggage at the gate - but the 'rule breakers' are contributing to the airline having to put such processes into place.

Your tennis bag is clearly far beyond the size limitation - so why expect to be allowed to take it?
My bolding above-

To see if there is consistency in the inconsistency of maintaining the rules.

M
Old Apr 24, 2017, 2:28 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
My bolding above-

To see if there is consistency in the inconsistency of maintaining the rules.

M
I think your just chancing your luck
Old Apr 25, 2017, 3:41 am

Programs: BA Silver
I hope you don't give the gate team a hard time when they try and take it off you...
Old Apr 25, 2017, 3:53 am

Isn't this the same as a full size bottle of highland spring :P - a weapon?

Whilst the OP may get lucky, best to check it in or post it as CWS suggests however I did notice two guitars get squeezed into the overheads on a flight to AMS last year.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 4:40 am

Programs: BA bronze
I play tennis quite alot. We are off to the states in the summer. Flying Business on BA/AA longhaul and UA First within the States.

Bought one of these

https://www.epiruslondon.com/collect...ducts/backpack

With the idea I can take two racquets on board rather than check them in and also means one bag for laptop etc. I think I will explicitly ask each time we check in that it will be ok to take them onboard.

Old Apr 25, 2017, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by lavajava
Isn't this the same as a full size bottle of highland spring :P - a weapon?

This always amuses me. A biro pen can be used as a weapon! Also there is the provision of metal cutlery after security. Not sure that a tennis racquet would make a better weapon than a 17" laptop TBF.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by cayman4522
I hope you don't give the gate team a hard time when they try and take it off you...
I won't, because I can appreciate they would be in the right to begin with...as long as they advise it is because it is 'over-sized' opposed to the fact that there is too much handbaggage etc.

M
Old Apr 26, 2017, 3:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
No problems with tennis racquet in its cover on BA

Due to not having a large enough bag, I've had to carry a tennis racquet as cabin luggage last week on a multi-city itinerary, and had no problem taking a single tennis racquet in its cover at ABQ, ORD, LHR (T5), TXL. ^
Old May 20, 2017, 1:08 am
Original Poster

Update time - the bag has made it safely into the CCR.

No questions or issues at the First Wing.

Next stop Gate A8 (although obviously I've awarded myself with breakfast).

M
Attached Images  

Last edited by msm2000uk; May 20, 2017 at 1:19 am
Old May 20, 2017, 2:18 am
Original Poster

Success - Tennis Bag permitted on-board, and no questions asked!

M
Old May 20, 2017, 2:39 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), SPG (Lifetime Plat), Star Alliance, One World, Virgin (Gold)
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Success - Tennis Bag permitted on-board, and no questions asked!

M
well done MSM200UK, I am delighted that you managed to beat the system.

What concerns me here are 2 points - and advanced apologies if this sounds personal, but its not..

1. I think its very wrong that a f/t moderator sets out to beat the system and creates a thread about look at me, I beat the system..

2. It once again concerns me that BA boarding/gate staff and crew show very little interest in the size of the hand luggage brought on board.
Old May 20, 2017, 3:00 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
@Premier Owl why should an FT moderator be held to a higher standard than regular posters? Maybe in terms of what they post but not on their dealings with airlines. If they can make it work for them then I don't see the problem. Lots of people on here try to get the best out of their travel experience and that sometimes means not sticking to the letter of the rules.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.