Search

LHR - IAD A380 Trip

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2017, 4:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
LHR - IAD A380 Trip

Hi everyone,

Although this is my first post i've been a long time lurker enjoying all the tips and advice here on Ft :-)

I've just booked a long weekend in Washington DC this July travelling LHR - IAD F on the A380. As this is my first trip on an A380 I'm not sure which seat to select. Are there any particular seats which would be recommended? I'm travelling alone.

Thanks,
Andrea :-)
Old Apr 22, 2017, 4:16 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR
I did the same journey in F earlier this year but with family. I would go for 1A/K. There are no middle seats on this row, so a bit more privacy for a solo traveller.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 4:20 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
#Andrea3108 , welcome to Flyertalk and especially here at BA branch. I'm glad you've decided to leave the ranks of lurker and joined in. Please stay around and ask away and please do come back and let us know how the flights go.

As for seats, I'd take any A or K seat. They are all very private and are identical. F on the A380 is my favourite way to travel - I have been known to travel to Vegas via LAX just to fly on the A380 because I enjoy it so much (and to avoid T5-T3 transfer!).
Old Apr 22, 2017, 6:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond + Ambassador, Accor Gold, Avis President's Club, Heathrow Rewards
I have done this on the A380 and I prefer 2A or 2K, or 3A or 3K. The first row has a bit of hassle from the toilets.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 7:12 am

Programs: BA GGL
Did it in December, really good experience.

1A/K - they're not visible to each other, so not great for couples. Great for private solo travel.

For couples my order of preference would then be to go for the middle: 2E/F, 3E/F, 4E/F in that order (from front to galley).

If you're sat in a window (A/K) and middle (E/F) as a couple then you won't really feel like you're travelling together - so as a solo traveller in a window seat the middle passenger won't be encroaching on your space at all.

Enjoy it!
Old Apr 22, 2017, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Thanks very much for the replies. Much appreciated.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 11:07 pm

Programs: BAEC
1A isn't good on the A380. It has great privacy and you don't have to look at other people but there is a storage cabinet next to the seat and it got opened and closed multiple times during a recent flight from Hong Kong which woke me up every time although I was wearing earplugs. Maybe other passengers mistook it for the toilet which is also located next to this seat. So go for any other A or K seat and avoid row one.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 11:16 pm

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond
When I'm by myself 1K is the way forward so if you're travelling when I am any seat butn1K is good ^
Old Apr 23, 2017, 12:34 am

Programs: BA Exec Club, HHonors
Originally Posted by MNManInKen
I have done this on the A380 and I prefer 2A or 2K, or 3A or 3K. The first row has a bit of hassle from the toilets.
In a similar vein, having travelled in 4A this can suffer from noise from the galley and main deck boarding takes place immediately behind from door 2L. I was also the very first off the plane but the advantage of this is mitigated by the mobile lounges at IAD.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:05 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by robertf999
but the advantage of this is mitigated by the mobile lounges at IAD.
OMG I hate those things... first on last off. Also they're hotter than the centre of the earth. And they smell.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:53 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
OMG I hate those things... first on last off. Also they're hotter than the centre of the earth. And they smell.
My single time there, I duly followed BAEC FT suggestions of stopping just "around the corner" as soon as inside: first on, first off

PS
I was in 2K to IAD and was a good seat. I noticed that 1K didn't get much traffic, though.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
See quote below ...
Originally Posted by Lefly
My single time there, I duly followed BAEC FT suggestions of stopping just "around the corner" as soon as inside: first on, first off
... exactly!

These little details on FT can make your journey so much easier

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.