Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Family removed from BA flight because the kids wouldn't wear seatbelts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Family removed from BA flight because the kids wouldn't wear seatbelts

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2017, 4:00 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Excellent response by the pilot. Whatever people want to do to endanger themselves is fine, so long as they don't endanger others as a result.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Apr 21, 2017 at 5:53 am Reason: Remove deleted quote
Old Apr 21, 2017, 4:20 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
You make a very good point. I have no idea what kind of note this Doctor provided for a whole family unless it was that they were all mentally incapacitated the Mother included. I suspect that were it a case of an autistic child, there would have been a great to-do with press about them being thrown off The World's Favourite Airline!

I have witnessed scenes where the child has said " I don't want to" and the Father just give up and look sheepish as if to say " what can I do". I am less amenable to tantrums as I can throw plenty of my own if so inclined and am not about to be upstaged by someone a fraction of my age. On one occasion, I told the child that if they did not I would not hesitate to summon the police. What they will never know unless they are now posting or reading on here, was that Him Indoors worked as a police officer at LGW and was meeting me in full police drag. To my delight he came aboard and I asked him to "fix" this kid as he disembarked with his "look" as I called it. You never saw two people look so horrified - the child and her Father. I probably damaged him for life. I wonder what compensation he could claim for that?
If you were to say that to my child, I'd be telling you exactly where to go (unless, of course, this was in your crew days - where I would ask you to consider how you spoke to a paying customer). Thankfully, my daughter is incredibly placid and well-behaved, so the situation would not arise - of that I am confident.

As ever, CWS gets it spot on. I don't know if many of you understand how difficult it can be to get a small child to do exactly what is required in any given situation. A two year old cannot be reasoned with in the same way as you and I. They don't understand the necessity of being belted. The key, as always, is perseverance from the parent. It is not always simply a case of the child being 'poorly behaved'.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 4:34 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Originally Posted by secretplantofightinflation
As ever, CWS gets it spot on. I don't know if many of you understand how difficult it can be to get a small child to do exactly what is required in any given situation. A two year old cannot be reasoned with in the same way as you and I.≈ They don't understand the necessity of being belted. The key, as always, is perseverance from the parent. It is not always simply a case of the child being 'poorly behaved'.
This is called parenting I'm afraid and while you are correct, it is still your responsibility to ensure your child does the necessary - reasoning is not the only way ("Do it because I said so" worked incredibly well when I was a child, because a loud, intimidating telling off was the only option after that!)
Old Apr 21, 2017, 4:34 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by secretplantofightinflation
If you were to say that to my child, I'd be telling you exactly where to go (unless, of course, this was in your crew days - where I would ask you to consider how you spoke to a paying customer). Thankfully, my daughter is incredibly placid and well-behaved, so the situation would not arise - of that I am confident.
It was my crew days. Nowadays I would not get involved - that's someone else's problem! I think that this was about 30 or so years ago. I suspect that I would not have needed to say anything of the sort to you as the situation would not arise. I was dealing with a full blown battle of wills and fare paying passenger or not, I would not back down over a matter of safety. I have to add that usually firmness and insistence works, but this was exceptional.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by obduro
This is called parenting I'm afraid and while you are correct, it is still your responsibility to ensure your child does the necessary - reasoning is not the only way ("Do it because I said so" worked incredibly well when I was a child, because a loud, intimidating telling off was the only option after that!)
Absolutely. But where do you go when the child still does not obey? I have seen this in action, on aircraft no less!

Personally I would not raise my voice to my child (it sets an awful example), nor would I smack - but I guess I'm lucky in so far as my child does what I ask her to (mostly ). Other parents are not so lucky, and I have sympathy.

But the point stands, and must stand - no belt, no flight.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I have had parents tell me when they were given the extension seatbelt that their child wouldn't use it and they have never been forced to use it by any offer crew on any other airline, yea right!
I just say thank you for telling me early and that the two choices, they have it to comply with the Captains orders or offload, I say that I will give them a minute to decide before I tell the Captain.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 5:11 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by yannerd
Has anyone else heard of passengers not wanting to wear seatbelts before and using a doctors note to justify it?
This is definitely a first for me. That said, I fully understand that a PIC will not want a passenger on board who refuses to wear a seat belt, particularly if they are children.

Originally Posted by missdimeaner
IMO a doctors note to not wear a seatbelt is a virtual unfit to fly letter.
Personally I agree with you. That said, you can still drive a car or be a passenger in one with such a notice and you can't be fined (as it is an exemption in some countries similar to cops/taxi drivers not having to wear seat belts).

Originally Posted by LondonElite
What kind of an idiot doctor would provide such a stupid note? I'd also like to meet mom of the year.
There are actually cases in which a doctor can and will write these kinds of notes. I don't know about the specific requirements to be exempt from wearing a seat belt, but I believe that people having gone through surgery and can't put any pressure on their chest are exempted from having to wear a seat belt in a car. The pretensioner could activate when you brake too harshly and do quite a bit of damage to the freshly operated passenger. I would however think that those cases are very limited in the case of hip seat belts.

I definitely call BS on multiple kids of the same family having doctor notes of not being allowed seat belts. If the parent said that only for the F/A to disappear, I seriously question her parenting skills. Kids should be taught about the importance of seat belts.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 5:12 am

In the late 90s I remember a similar commotion on return from the US. Full 747 Classic and a woman demanding an upgrade at the door. She didn't fly.
1-800-therapy.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:02 am

Strange thread. Who knows what really happened here.

The OP viewing from another cabin has told us what "apparently" happened and has already decided that the "mom didn't want to be a parent". Judgemental or what.

By posts 6 the doctor is branded an "idiot" (without anyone having seen the note or knowing what it said, naturally) and the mother sarcastically as "mom of the year".

The right result was undoubtedly reached but there could have been any number of reasons behind this for which some have been put forward (like autism) and if all we have to go on is one person's account of what "apparently" happened it is hard to judge.

As the parent of an adopted child with special needs, nothing in life is straightforward despite what the armchair experts on FT seem to think.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Apr 21, 2017 at 6:53 am Reason: Remove reference to children in F post mod edit
Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:14 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by simons1

The OP viewing from another cabin has told us what "apparently" happened and has already decided that the "mom didn't want to be a parent". Judgemental or what.

By posts 6 the doctor is branded an "idiot" (without anyone having seen the note or knowing what it said, naturally) and the mother sarcastically as "mom of the year".

The right result was undoubtedly reached but there could have been any number of reasons behind this for which some have been put forward (like autism) and if all we have to go on is one person's account of what "apparently" happened it is hard to judge.

As the parent of an adopted child with special needs, nothing in life is straightforward despite what the armchair experts on FT seem to think.
Sensible post. However some of the other stories in this thread sound like they involve moron passengers rather than children with special needs. But you are right, without knowing the full facts it is churlish to condemn.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Apr 21, 2017 at 6:53 am Reason: Remove reference to children in F post mod edit
Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by simons1

Fantastic post.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Apr 21, 2017 at 6:54 am Reason: Remove reference to children in F post mod edit
Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
On one occasion, I told the child that if they did not I would not hesitate to summon the police. What they will never know unless they are now posting or reading on here, was that Him Indoors worked as a police officer at LGW and was meeting me in full police drag. To my delight he came aboard and I asked him to "fix" this kid as he disembarked with his "look" as I called it. You never saw two people look so horrified - the child and her Father.
Thank you so much! I love this, and wish it was done more frequently!
Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by Cris L
Thank you so much! I love this, and wish it was done more frequently!
Totally agree!
Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by Southlondonbonviveur
Sensible post. However some of the other stories in this thread sound like they involve moron passengers rather than children with special needs. But you are right, without knowing the full facts it is churlish to condemn.
Being an uncle to an autistic child, I'd like to be able to think that I can tell the difference between a child having a meltdown caused by anything and a moronic parent letting their badly behaved kid act up. This is something that my sister taught me and for that I am very grateful.

Indeed an unusual thread, the pilot was right to do what he did but despite all the preparations and hoping for the best on a journey it could possibly be too much for this family.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 7:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LondonAndy
Excellent response by the pilot. Whatever people want to do to endanger themselves is fine, so long as they don't endanger others as a result.
I really wish some pilots would have the guts to refuse to carry lap children, especially the larger and heavier ones, because they create a safety issue for other passengers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.