Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2019, 3:18 pm

Thank you everyone here for all the useful info and assistance. I upgraded to the PP card 2 weeks ago. Did it online and the following day my card changed on the app, 2 days later the new card arrived. I got the 3000 points for additional card holder but didn't get the 6000 reported by some for the first spend. I got the Ł10k spend and a few days later the voucher appeared in my BAEC account.

So now I'm looking to use the voucher for August 2020 when flights become available. I'm looking to do MAN-LHR-ORD(Chicago) and returning JFK-LHR-MAN all in First.

Am I right in thinking I can book the outbound online and then when the return flights are released book them by calling, with the taxes then be recalculated for this? Also will the MAN-LHR legs essentially be free in terms of requiring no extra avios over just LHR-ORD? If I book first I assume these flights will be CE?

Many Thanks
Old Jul 10, 2019, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by FamilyOf6
A simple question, yet I can't find the answer in the Wiki above. (apologies if i've missed it) Can the Avios for "payment" for a 2-4-1 come from the household account, or do they have to come from one BAEC account? (Need to know if it is ok for my wife to transfer her amex points into her own BAEC or if, somehow she should transfer them to me)

Thanks

If you’ve got a household account, they’ll take the Avios proportionally from all of the accounts in the HA, no need to transfer Avios around.

Last edited by JamieT; Jul 10, 2019 at 3:23 pm Reason: add in quote
Old Jul 10, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by JamieT

If you’ve got a household account, they’ll take the Avios proportionally from all of the accounts in the HA, no need to transfer Avios around.
That's great, thanks.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 4:36 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tom31
Am I right in thinking I can book the outbound online and then when the return flights are released book them by calling, with the taxes then be recalculated for this?
Yes that's right. Initially you will have paid the taxes/fees/charges for the one way MAN-LHR-ORD. When you call to add the return flights they will recalculate the taxes/fees/charges for the return booking and you will pay the difference.

Also will the MAN-LHR legs essentially be free in terms of requiring no extra avios over just LHR-ORD?
Yes no extra avios are required for the domestic connections.

If I book first I assume these flights will be CE?
Yes they will be.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
I was expecting a 2-4-1 voucher to post on my partners account as she earned it a week back but just realised that her address was a non UK one in her BAEC account. Changed it today but does that mean the voucher could have bounced?

What happens next? Should I call up BA or Amex as the seats I need are available as of now.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 5:49 am

Programs: BA, VA
Originally Posted by JamieT
Just checking this as I'm still a little unclear.

Currently I have around 300k Avios in my own account and 80k split between two other family members.

If I wanted a redemption that was 320k Avios for two of us, would it be possible to use the 80k plus 240k from my account, or would we need to have 160k in another family member account and then use 160k from my account (similar to VA where they take an equal amount of miles from each account you use)?

Or will they just take the amount from the 380k "pot" regardless of who the Avios are earned by?

Many thanks.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 5:51 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by onlysuites
I was expecting a 2-4-1 voucher to post on my partners account as she earned it a week back but just realised that her address was a non UK one in her BAEC account. Changed it today but does that mean the voucher could have bounced?

What happens next? Should I call up BA or Amex as the seats I need are available as of now.
Have you confirmed that the voucher has definitely not posted to her BAEC account? It is visible online but not in the app. If you need to chase then I would start with Amex. Amex send vouchers to BA so BA will just say they haven’t received anything.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by tonymc
Just checking this as I'm still a little unclear.

Currently I have around 300k Avios in my own account and 80k split between two other family members.

If I wanted a redemption that was 320k Avios for two of us, would it be possible to use the 80k plus 240k from my account, or would we need to have 160k in another family member account and then use 160k from my account (similar to VA where they take an equal amount of miles from each account you use)?

Or will they just take the amount from the 380k "pot" regardless of who the Avios are earned by?

Many thanks.
They will take 320k Avios from across the accounts, reducing each account by the same percentage of its balance. 320k is about 84% of the 380k, so for example 300k+40k+40k will each go down by 84% to roughly 47k+6k+6k.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by fruitcage

They will take 320k Avios from across the accounts, reducing each account by the same percentage of its balance. 320k is about 84% of the 380k, so for example 300k+40k+40k will each go down by 84% to roughly 47k+6k+6k.
Many thanks for the quick response - greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by tonymc
Many thanks for the quick response - greatly appreciated.
if you want it “done differently” open up an Aer Lingus account, which will give you an avios.com account, and move 60k of your avios there. Then the booking will use all of the remaining HHA avios (240k of yours), and then you can retain and move back your 60k.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fruitcage

Have you confirmed that the voucher has definitely not posted to her BAEC account? It is visible online but not in the app. If you need to chase then I would start with Amex. Amex send vouchers to BA so BA will just say they haven’t received anything.
Definitely not there. How long does it normally take to show up?

Will take this up with Amex.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by pauldb
if you want it “done differently” open up an Aer Lingus account, which will give you an avios.com account, and move 60k of your avios there. Then the booking will use all of the remaining HHA avios (240k of yours), and then you can retain and move back your 60k.
Thanks for the suggestion. As it happens, it wouldn’t really be a problem if the Avios are taken out “pro-rata” as previously described. My worry was that it could be like the VAFC redemptions where you have to take equal amounts from each account being used, and having to transfer miles across. Fortunately, it seems this isn’t the case with BA and Avios.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by onlysuites
Definitely not there. How long does it normally take to show up?

Will take this up with Amex.
If she has the confirmation email from Amex or the online Amex account shows the voucher as awarded then next day maximum in my experience.

If the Amex and BA accounts are correctly linked she will have been receiving some Avios every month that the card has spend, transferred from Amex to BA. Good news if so. If this has not been happening then the accounts are not linked for whatever reason.
onlysuites likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 10:38 am

What to do with two 2-4-1 vouchers

Originally Posted by parklife
Is it still possible to redeem 2 vouchers at the same time online? I can't seem to find how to do this, but have done so in the past!
I also seem to have accumulated 2 vouchers. Is there any advantageous use of both at the same time, or just get on with making two different bookings?
Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by gbs1112
I also seem to have accumulated 2 vouchers. Is there any advantageous use of both at the same time, or just get on with making two different bookings?
The only special case is if you want to take 3 friends/family with you, using 2 vouchers for a 4-for-2.

If it’s two simple you+companion bookings, nothing to be gained through a combination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.