Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Old Jun 24, 2019, 7:57 am

Programs: DC, BAEC
This is possibly a (very) stupid question but which leg do you actually use the voucher on?
Assuming you have enough miles do you book the outbound as a straight 2x person redemption (not using the 2-4-1) and then use the 2-4-1 when you ring up to add the inbound? Or, use the 2-4-1 on the outbound so it is already applied to the booking when you phone up for the inbounds?
Old Jun 24, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: BA, Emirates, IHG, Accor, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by Bmi-fan
This is possibly a (very) stupid question but which leg do you actually use the voucher on?
Assuming you have enough miles do you book the outbound as a straight 2x person redemption (not using the 2-4-1) and then use the 2-4-1 when you ring up to add the inbound? Or, use the 2-4-1 on the outbound so it is already applied to the booking when you phone up for the inbounds?
Book the outbound using the 2-4-1 and then ring up to add the inbound to the existing booking using the 2-4-1. If you book a standard redemption for the outbound I do not believe you can change this to use a 2-4-1.

Also the flight must originate for the UK, so you could not use for an inbound on it's own.+
Old Jun 24, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: DC, BAEC
Thanks parklife!
Of course that makes sense, as you rightly point out the outbound will not be able to be 'converted' to a 2-4-1 redemption.
Sometimes you can over-think these things!
Old Jun 24, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
Originally Posted by ThePointsChaser
As I wrote this, I checked again and managed to book our outbound to Tokyo in F on the 17th March and return from Shanghai in F on the 1st April, so still should get to see the cherry blossoms (fingers crossed). Good to hear some of the experiences, as it sounds like availability is unlikely to open up for the exact dates I want - luckily I managed to find a route available on alternative dates!
That's a pretty good result - I think it's pretty easy to get from Japan to Shanghai, and you shouldn't need a visa if you want to stop there for a day or two.

Cherry blossom season will vary year to year, but when I went we were a week later than you and the cherry blossom was only properly out in Tokyo by the end of our trip. If cherry blossom is a priority then you should aim to go further south in Japan during your trip, where the blossom should be out earlier.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 9:55 am

How are people upgrading to the platinum plus? I've just called Amex and was told I can't upgrade the standard BA card and would have to apply for the platinum plus online. But if I do this my current spend won't carry over.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by tom31
How are people upgrading to the platinum plus? I've just called Amex and was told I can't upgrade the standard BA card and would have to apply for the platinum plus online. But if I do this my current spend won't carry over.
Platinum is a totally different card and nothing to do with BA.
The BA premium plus is probably what you want. To upgrade from the standard BA card you do have to submit a new application, but any spend towards a 241 should carry over to the new card if you are approved.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by fruitcage

Platinum is a totally different card and nothing to do with BA.
The BA premium plus is probably what you want. To upgrade from the standard BA card you do have to submit a new application, but any spend towards a 241 should carry over to the new card if you are approved.
Sorry I meant premium plus. Just called again and they're still telling me it can only be done online. Just worried if I do I'll end up with the standard and premium and my spend from the standard won't carry over.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by tom31
Sorry I meant premium plus. Just called again and they're still telling me it can only be done online. Just worried if I do I'll end up with the standard and premium and my spend from the standard won't carry over.
Yes I think you can only apply online but you won’t end up with both and your spend should carry over. Worked for me.
T8191 likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by omk298
That's a pretty good result - I think it's pretty easy to get from Japan to Shanghai, and you shouldn't need a visa if you want to stop there for a day or two.

Cherry blossom season will vary year to year, but when I went we were a week later than you and the cherry blossom was only properly out in Tokyo by the end of our trip. If cherry blossom is a priority then you should aim to go further south in Japan during your trip, where the blossom should be out earlier.
Yeah I was pretty chuffed with it tbh, was starting to worry that we might need to cancel the entire trip. I've had friends do China en route to Japan before and as you say, should be relatively straight forward. There's a 144 hour visa on arrival that we should be able to take advantage of. We'll likely only stay a day or two max.

Having checked the cherry blossom forecasts fastidiously, I believe they've been blooming a bit earlier in recent years (probably down to global warming). For example, this year they started opening in Tokyo on March 21st and were in full bloom by 27th March. In 2018 they fully bloomed by 26th March, so if 2020 follows suit, we should be lucky enough to catch the full bloom by the end of our trip
Old Jun 25, 2019, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by fruitcage

Yes I think you can only apply online but you won’t end up with both and your spend should carry over. Worked for me.
Likewise ... upgraded to the BA Amex PP, and within days the 2-4-1 voucher emerged thanks to orevious spend. Seamless process.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 3:02 am

Programs: BA Gold
2-4-1 Voucher for UK to HKG booking - Taxes

I am planning a trip to Hong Kong for January 2020 using an Amex 2-4-1 voucher.

If booking a return Inverness (INV) – Hong Kong (HKG) – Heathrow (LHR) in Club the taxes quoted are £435.88 pp.

If booking the outbound and return separately the taxes quoted are £250.18 pp and £35.12 pp – total £285.40 pp. A saving of over £140 pp.

From what I read in this thread, am I correct in thinking that I can book the outbound first and book a return later and then ask for the return to be linked to the outbound to take full advantage of the voucher for both legs? If so, does this save on the taxes or do they recalculate them?

This process seems too good to be true (so probably isn’t) and I appreciate that HKG is an extreme case because of the low taxes. Thanks for any help in clarifying this for me.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 3:04 am

Programs: BA Nada, HH Diamond, IHG Spire AMB, Marriott Plat, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by polemi

If booking a return Inverness (INV) – Hong Kong (HKG) – Heathrow (LHR) in Club the taxes quoted are £435.88 pp.

If booking the outbound and return separately the taxes quoted are £250.18 pp and £35.12 pp – total £285.40 pp. A saving of over £140 pp.

From what I read in this thread, am I correct in thinking that I can book the outbound first and book a return later and then ask for the return to be linked to the outbound to take full advantage of the voucher for both legs? If so, does this save on the taxes or do they recalculate them?

This process seems too good to be true (so probably isn’t) and I appreciate that HKG is an extreme case because of the low taxes. Thanks for any help in clarifying this for me.
I can only give you my experience, but having done exactly this but without the INV segment taxes were not recalculated and I was able to take advantage of the lower amount.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 4:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
Originally Posted by polemi

I've done this (albeit from LHR not INV) for flights next year and there was no recalculation of fees, so £35pp was all I was charged for the return.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 2:52 pm

Programs: BMI Dimond club, BA Executive Club
Looking for some advice,

My wife has gone and got herself knocked up. We were due to go to Asia at the end of the year but now it means we won't be able to travel.

Great news is we can cancel, What would the 2 4 1 voucher expire date come back as? I'm guessing it comes back with the original date?
Old Jun 30, 2019, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by pacenotes
Looking for some advice,

My wife has gone and got herself knocked up. We were due to go to Asia at the end of the year but now it means we won't be able to travel.

Great news is we can cancel, What would the 2 4 1 voucher expire date come back as? I'm guessing it comes back with the original date?
Yep- the voucher expiry will stay the same.
pacenotes likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.