Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
If it's just the fee you're trying to avoid, downgrade to the free card. This will keep your voucher intact and no risk of it being cancelled, and there's no fee payable.
I think Amex agents are warning against this too, stating the same risk of the voucher being cancelled. I was in the same situation, with flights booked and agent was adamant that tickets would be cancelled when I cancelled or downgraded the card. I phoned BA who confirmed that was not correct. As above, it is the stated terms, albeit unlikely (but not impossible) to be enforced. I would suggest calling BA and asking them to confirm for your situation if you already have a ticketed booking.
Old May 29, 2019, 8:50 am

I want to cancel it so I can get referred again in 6 months, for that sweet, sweet signup bonus. Have now downgraded as a stopgap on the fees at least.
Old May 29, 2019, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by Barbs1
I want to cancel it so I can get referred again in 6 months, for that sweet, sweet signup bonus. Have now downgraded as a stopgap on the fees at least.
Well, the bad news is that while you hold the free BA card, you aren't starting that 6 months, and the really bad news is that 6 months is now 24 months for the Premium card following recent changes. It's 24 months without any Avios earning Amex for the BAPP now. :-(
Old May 29, 2019, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by notakeenflyer
Well, the bad news is that while you hold the free BA card, you aren't starting that 6 months, and the really bad news is that 6 months is now 24 months for the Premium card following recent changes. It's 24 months without any Avios earning Amex for the BAPP now. :-(
Damn, seems like they are really going after the churners then. O, well, then I'll just be upgrading and downgrading every year then, until they stop that game as well.

Does the referee bonus now have the same limitations on it? Could at least get the 9k avios in the household account if my SO refers me.
Old May 29, 2019, 12:06 pm

I think I read somewhere a while ago about how to work out what you should receive if you are downgraded on a 2-4-1 voucher, the calculation looked rather complicated but we are on a flight to Houston in First on the 20th June at 09.55 and as there are only 2 flights daily feeling worried. If anyone has some time and could help perhaps with the calculation , just in case I would appreciate that.
Old May 29, 2019, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Barbs1
Damn, seems like they are really going after the churners then. O, well, then I'll just be upgrading and downgrading every year then, until they stop that game as well.

Does the referee bonus now have the same limitations on it? Could at least get the 9k avios in the household account if my SO refers me.
I believe you can still get a referral bonus, but it’s 3,000 Avios if you hold the free card.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 2:01 am

Morning All,

i have recently had had an email through regarding being successful with my companion voucher.

So this runs out on the 2nd June 2020 and I would like to start searching for flights asap so I don’t waste it like I have previously.

I have over 200k avios and would be looking to fly from Manchester or London and would like to use it for a summer holiday.

Any suggestions on places to go long haul first class preferably.

Any help with regards to how to search would be greatly appreciated

Thank you
Old Jun 2, 2019, 2:22 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by Lenny80
Morning All,

i have recently had had an email through regarding being successful with my companion voucher.

So this runs out on the 2nd June 2020
Do you have the Black BA Premium card? That voucher is valid for 2 years..

I have over 200k avios and would be looking to fly from Manchester or London and would like to use it for a summer holiday.

Any suggestions on places to go long haul first class preferably.

Any help with regards to how to search would be greatly appreciated
​​​​​​
Many of the popular routes with single flights per day often sell out of award tickets as they become available 355 days before departure. Places like the Maldives are always going to hard to find unless your very well planned.

Places with multiple flights per day like NYC or LA will be easier to secure award seats as therw are many more options to you.

However its always "summer" somewhere so with some judicious research you should be able to find something. The deal is to be flexible, narrow down a list of places that you fancy and try to work in some date that are ok. If you want to go to a specific place on some exact dates you could come unstuck.

Some long haul routes will require more miles than you have (in First) so prehaps you need to rethink or earn some more miles.
good luck...

Last edited by sunshinebob; Jun 2, 2019 at 3:08 am
Old Jun 2, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by bubbah
I think I read somewhere a while ago about how to work out what you should receive if you are downgraded on a 2-4-1 voucher, the calculation looked rather complicated but we are on a flight to Houston in First on the 20th June at 09.55 and as there are only 2 flights daily feeling worried. If anyone has some time and could help perhaps with the calculation , just in case I would appreciate that.
I don't know the details of the calculation that applies in the very rare case of a forced downgrade, though I believe it has been the subject of some dispute with BA on occasions.

More importantly, I would say that such downgrades are really very rare indeed. They just get a lot of discussion when they happen. "Only" 2 flights a day is certainly not a cause for alarm. In fact just the opposite - there are plenty of destinations that have only two flights a week.

There are many other things which are also unlikely but far more likely to affect your trip such as weather disruption, industrial action, technical problems of planes or IT, losing your passport, breakdown of your transport to the airport, etc etc...

Hope that provides some reassurance.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 3:35 am

Thank you so much for your reply.

I have the blue card so only valid for a year.

I know I mentioned summer holiday in my previous post but would look at anywhere for a beach holiday and pretty flexible with dates apart from time off in September 2019 and February 2020.

I live in Manchester but I’m guessing it’s a case of flying or train down to London and flying from there.

I’ve signed up on the BA reward flight finder and just wondering if there is any easier way of finding destinations other than this.

I would love some winter sun somewhere and if a first class is out of reach then could always use business.

Thanks again for your help.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 4:08 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C

I know I mentioned summer holiday in my previous post but would look at anywhere for a beach holiday and pretty flexible with dates apart from time off in September 2019 and February 2020.

I live in Manchester but I’m guessing it’s a case of flying or train down to London and flying from there.

I’ve signed up on the BA reward flight finder and just wondering if there is any easier way of finding destinations other than this.

I would love some winter sun somewhere and if a first class is out of reach then could always use business.

It's still a wide question. BA doesn't fly to a lot of winter-sun/beach destinations. You probably won't find anything for Cape Town, but the Caribbean might be possible if you are willing to risk the weather in May (perhaps April). Dubai is very possible in January - the coolest month, or you might find something to Oman or the Seychelles but likely in Business not F.

If you are more adventurous or time-rich, you'd probably find flights to Hong Kong, Mexico City or Houston from where you can connect to a beach destination. Miami's not zeroed out either in fact.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
ATL can be an easy way of getting the long haul legs in F and then buying a separate cash ticket onwards to a sunnier destination
Old Jun 3, 2019, 4:17 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker

Firstly you should not have the Blue card. Whilst the black one costs £195 PA you would have earned twice the avios on the £20,000 you spent to get your 241 voucher. The Black card spits out a voucher at £10k spend and the voucher is valid for 2 years. Bearing in mind all the best seats are snapped up when they are released the 24 month expiry puts you in pole position over the blue voucher as it ( the blue ) lags behind the availability rather than in front.

I appreciate the blue card is free but you could have upgraded to the black once you have spent over £10k got the 2 year 241 ( plus some free miles for taking the higher card ) and even down graded at a later date if your spending drops. There is always next year I guess :-)

There is plenty of option both East and West offering winter sun. Again the deal is to be flexible , I tend to pick places like Abu Dhabi, Barbados, Malaysia or Thailand for my winter sun and am sure you will find something to suit if you get the ball rolling soon-ish. Remember you have to fly on BA metal so no code sharing. The reward finder is a good place to start as it gives you all the available dates in one go.

Lastly you may have enough Avios to go in First one way so think about if you would prefer a day or night flight to experience First fully. Also think about what direction you would like First if you have a choice - out or back? Plus would you prefer to use the first class lounges in London inc the CCR if you are flying from T5 ( I would ) over the frankly pointless "First class" lounges at many out station like Barbados for example.
sarahluv likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 8:20 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Global Entry

Your domestic add on from Manchester to London is free.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 9:29 am

fruitcage thank you very much for your reply. Now being Blue we only get avios from shopping etc and the 241 voucher but not from flying so we probably do not have precedence over other card holders. Thanks again
fruitcage likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.