Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2019, 3:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, FB Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
i can only suggest call and try again. i appreciate the explanation he gave was an attempt to explain the figure he was seeing, but it's completely rubbish. the other option is you can ask it gets sent for a manual calculation on the basis the figure is clearly wrong.

btw i just added some domestic connections on a 2-4-1 HKG booking about 2/3 weeks ago and extra TFC was Ł86 per person.
Update: I just phoned this morning and got it referred to the duty manager. They claimed it was a known policy and went to speak to the duty manager who immediately said we should book a separate leg as revenue for HKG (or Sao Paulo apparently). They suggested the policy changed a few weeks ago. I even got them to show a revenue booking with the 672HKD tax for HKG-LHR-EDI so they understood the problem but said the moment you changed a ticket, it's "status" changed for this purpose and you would be charged the full amount. I asked for a manual calculation but they politely declined stating this was policy.

So it looks like we'll be buying a separate ticket and enjoying the arrivals lounge....
Old May 6, 2019, 3:32 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Firstly thank you very much for reporting back.

i don’t understand. If it was just a one way from HKG and not related to a 2-4-1 the TFC is what I quoted earlier. Any other figure is just made up rubbish.

the only thing I can think of is for 2-4-1 they are now recalculating TFC as a return so removing the benefit of taking advantage of low carrier surcharge from HKG - i.e. they are now taking measures to counter the trick which has been discussed on here ever since you could book two one ways and apply the voucher across both bookings.
Old May 6, 2019, 5:27 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
If you do this search on ITA HKG-LON/EDI, you’ll get the zero YQ. But if you change the “Sales City” to LON you’ll get a YQ >Ł200.

So it appears that in response to the lifting of HKG’s YQ ban BA have left YQ at zero only for HKG-ticketed bookings. And that if you make a substantial enough change to your one way (adding a domestic) it gets reassessed with YQ.

That seems more likely than them targeting the 241 “trick”.
Old May 6, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, FB Gold
Originally Posted by pauldb
If you do this search on ITA HKG-LON/EDI, you’ll get the zero YQ. But if you change the “Sales City” to LON you’ll get a YQ >Ł200.

So it appears that in response to the lifting of HKG’s YQ ban BA have left YQ at zero only for HKG-ticketed bookings. And that if you make a substantial enough change to your one way (adding a domestic) it gets reassessed with YQ.

Maybe that makes some commercial sense - keep the YQ low for local sales to stay competitive but levy it when the competitive pressures are off. And it would make sense that the "Sales City" changes when you add a domestic as they are effectively recalculating the whole ticket.

I hesitate to ask, but wonder what would happen if I phoned HK to add the domestic :-)
Old May 6, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by ft191
Hi,
I have two companion vouchers to use up so logged on this morning to try and book the first before it runs out. I've tried getting a quote for 2 x Adults to multiple North American locations and then a few of the exotic ones on my bucket list. All of them work out as close to no difference between a regular booking and a booking with my companion voucher.One example below:

I was quoted Ł745 for a return to Philly from London for 2 x Adults - that's using avios and the voucher.
A quick sanity check on the main BA page shows I can use 10,000 less avios, no companion voucher, and the total cost will be Ł765 - that's for exactly the same flights.
In effect my voucher is worth Ł20 (Not counting the 10,000 avios difference) - the best quote I could find to a destination would make the voucher worth Ł37.

The Ł200 annual fee for the AMEX, is no where near worth this and my spend on the card of Ł3-4K a month is generating avios but not astronomical amounts. Before I cancelled the card at the end of the period and tried another loyalty based one I thought I'd ask: What am I missing about the voucher that made it so recommended on other sites and threads?

Thanks for your help.
Sounds like you were comparing economy fares, which isn't best value for a 2-4-1 voucher
Old May 6, 2019, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by pauldb

but even if they add a domestic flight it’s still an exHKG booking?
Old May 6, 2019, 10:52 pm

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by KARFA

but even if they add a domestic flight it’s still an exHKG booking?
So is HKG-LHR sold (ticketed?) in LON, but according to ITA that would collects Ł200 YQ.

It’s strange and I don’t really know the ins and out of ticketing, but still seems most likely the reprocessing to add the domestic is triggering the addition.

Calling HKG instead is worth a hopeful go.
Old May 7, 2019, 2:54 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
I have a cancellation question if anyone can help I have a 2-4-1 booking in roughly 30 days (my first first!), but my girlfriend has some visa issues to do with changing job that might result in her not being able to travel.

I understand that I can cancel a 2-4-1 booking on 24 hours' notice with a Ł100 per person fee, but I wanted to check, does this mean literally 24 hours (as in for a 15:00 flight, any time up to 15:00 the day before), or is it based on the day (e.g. for a Thursday flight, can cancel up to midnight on Tuesday or possibly Wednesday)?

I also was wondering if anyone knew, if I prebook the main meal or the Concorde Room spa appointment, does that then prevent me from cancelling the tickets later?

Thanks in advance!
Old May 9, 2019, 7:48 am

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Ive got a 2-4-1 booking in the bag CW out and F back.

There is no F availability currently on the outward journey. Is it a matter of checking periodically via ba.com to see of any availability comes back into play? I looked at expert flyer and I couldn't see an alert facility for such an occasion.
Old May 9, 2019, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by teebs
I have a cancellation question if anyone can help I have a 2-4-1 booking in roughly 30 days (my first first!), but my girlfriend has some visa issues to do with changing job that might result in her not being able to travel.

I understand that I can cancel a 2-4-1 booking on 24 hours' notice with a Ł100 per person fee, but I wanted to check, does this mean literally 24 hours (as in for a 15:00 flight, any time up to 15:00 the day before), or is it based on the day (e.g. for a Thursday flight, can cancel up to midnight on Tuesday or possibly Wednesday)?

I also was wondering if anyone knew, if I prebook the main meal or the Concorde Room spa appointment, does that then prevent me from cancelling the tickets later?

Thanks in advance!
Hi teebs. The cancellation fee is Ł35 per person. Yes it it 24 hours before the flight. Preselection of meals or prebooking spas won't affect your ability to cancel.
Old May 9, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Originally Posted by teebs

Thanks in advance!
You should be able to cancel right up to 24hrs before the departure time. The cancellation fee is Ł35 per person per ticket. You get the avios and taxes back to the card you paid with and the voucher back into your BA account, with its original expiry date.
Old May 9, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Originally Posted by RockyRobin

There is no F availability currently on the outward journey. Is it a matter of checking periodically via ba.com to see of any availability comes back into play? I looked at expert flyer and I couldn't see an alert facility for such an occasion.
That function is available on Expert Flyer, and also on https://rewardflightfinder.com, both of which will alert you to F availability.
Old May 9, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Thanks both.
Old May 9, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by RockyRobin

rewardflightfinder.com/ will be your friend for this task
Old May 9, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Originally Posted by wilsnunn

rewardflightfinder.com/ will be your friend for this task
Oh yes that's the place. Thank you, alert set up

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.