Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Old Apr 24, 2019, 3:52 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Will100
My AMEX account is showing that I have hit the spend and therefore qualified for the voucher.

How long will it take to show on my BA account? Can I proactively contact BA earlier to make a booking?
As others have said it usually takes a day or 2.

No you can’t use the voucher before it is issued and phoning won’t speed it up. However you might find the voucher shows on your BAEC account online before you get the email notification.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 3:59 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Originally Posted by botham
Thanks for the help. My wife wants to tour Japan, so we’re planning on returning from Osaka, but I guess we may have to consider your suggested alternatives. We are used to booking everything in one go, therefore not worrying about more than is essential!

I take your point about booking the returns online then telephoning to change from rewards to 2-4-1, but a further complication is that we’ll be on hols in Orlando so will have to work out time difference.
We appear to be on similar itineraries!

A lot of this depends on how flexible you are on dates and departure points. We booked the outbound to NRT, using the 241 voucher, albeit a couple of days earlier than originally planned, but the flights were available so we jumped in. Booking the return is usually more tetchy as you are probably now down to only a couple of feasible dates, but the watchword is to be flexible - so look at your preferred option, on the day you want, but be prepared to return from, say, Tokyo as well as Osaka, or even from somewhere outside Japan, or a day or two later.

We had already booked a flight from Tokyo to Hong Kong so our primary option was to return from Hong Kong - we were online at 0100 and managed to get the return booked, albeit for the full avios for 2 pax, and then called up later to have the voucher applied and half of the inbound avios refunded. The fall back, if there had been no HKG availability, was to return from Tokyo and cancel the local flight. Of course, you need to have enough avios to book the return at the full avios rate for two using this method. If you do it this way, they remain as separate bookings - which may have its advantages but also note that if want to cancel the whole thing it would be double the cancellation fees.

Online might be your best bet, if you can afford the initial avios outlay, as the seats appear at 1am UK time, which is 8pm in USA, which is when the office closes. You get put through to call centre elsewhere anyway, so you should be able to call just before 8pm and do deal a few minutes later - we did once manage to call the USA number from holiday in South Africa, at 1am UK time, to book a return from Vancouver - and it worked! If doing it online, do everything you can to speed up the booking process - make sure your companion is already 'in the system' and have your payment card saved - and have your CVV to hand. We have also gone through the whole online process as soon as seats appeared, only to see the transaction not go through at the last step - presumably the seats had either been bagged by a quicker clicker or, more likely, by an agent responding to a call.

Another question, if booking return from Hong Kong, which FF miles can be used between Osaka and HK, or is it best to pay? Possibly VS?
We booked the TYO-HKG flight on JAL using avios which was pretty cheap and next to no taxes.
botham likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by vintagepilot

A lot of this depends on how flexible you are on dates and departure points. We booked the outbound to NRT, using the 241 voucher, albeit a couple of days earlier than originally planned, but the flights were available so we jumped in. Booking the return is usually more tetchy as you are probably now down to only a couple of feasible dates, but the watchword is to be flexible - so look at your preferred option, on the day you want, but be prepared to return from, say, Tokyo as well as Osaka, or even from somewhere outside Japan, or a day or two later.

We had already booked a flight from Tokyo to Hong Kong so our primary option was to return from Hong Kong - we were online at 0100 and managed to get the return booked, albeit for the full avios for 2 pax, and then called up later to have the voucher applied and half of the inbound avios refunded. The fall back, if there had been no HKG availability, was to return from Tokyo and cancel the local flight. Of course, you need to have enough avios to book the return at the full avios rate for two using this method. If you do it this way, they remain as separate bookings - which may have its advantages but also note that if want to cancel the whole thing it would be double the cancellation fees.

Online might be your best bet, if you can afford the initial avios outlay, as the seats appear at 1am UK time, which is 8pm in USA, which is when the office closes. You get put through to call centre elsewhere anyway, so you should be able to call just before 8pm and do deal a few minutes later - we did once manage to call the USA number from holiday in South Africa, at 1am UK time, to book a return from Vancouver - and it worked! If doing it online, do everything you can to speed up the booking process - make sure your companion is already 'in the system' and have your payment card saved - and have your CVV to hand. We have also gone through the whole online process as soon as seats appeared, only to see the transaction not go through at the last step - presumably the seats had either been bagged by a quicker clicker or, more likely, by an agent responding to a call.

We booked the TYO-HKG flight on JAL using avios which was pretty cheap and next to no taxes.
Thanks for such a wonderful, comprehensive reply.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by vintagepilot

Two questions re the follow-up phone call once the return has been booked online. Must the UK office be called to amend the 2-4-1 or can an office be called in USA for example. Does the office need to be called the next day or would it wait until I returned to the UK?
Old Apr 24, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: BAEC, Skywards
Thanks to the advice on this thread I managed to call USA at 0100am UK time this morning to secure the return leg on a 2 for 1 amex redemption.

A word of warning that I appear to have missed from this thread; It was a 2 for 1 for my wife and daughter; I am registered to operate my wife's account and that was all fine. However, I was not in the same country as my wife at the time so wanted to pay with my credit card, not hers that she had already used for the outbound. Having said it went through the call centre then proceeded to ring my wife at 0130 and wake her up to say the credit card hadn't worked and they needed her one.

I wont make that mistake again.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 1:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
LHR-CPT

just used my AMEX 2-1 last night on the BA direct flight to CPT. Old old 747 with decade plus old IFE and nearly 100% occupancy. Had a nightmare passenger next to me in the window seat who wanted to go to the bathroom six times yet gloated about having switched at the last minute to the window seat. Talked to himself throughout the flight when not badgering the cabin crew for more alcohol.

Many will say not a great use of the 2-1 but it would have gone unused (again) and it was literally a last minute trip to CPT and the cash fares were mega expensive compared to normal but this is Easter travel.

BA should really update their livery for this route but having a monopoly on this route to CPT they can do what they like
Old Apr 24, 2019, 1:53 pm

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
If the there was no mention of the 2-4-1 on the Premium Card I would be more inclined to agree with you. As it stands it's a glaring error.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Pass
What routes are best to use this voucher? Ideally I want to do a CW or maybe even F?

I was looking at LHR-JFK and although there is availability taxes are crazy!

Are there any good low tax routes or ex-eu that could technically work on it?
Old Apr 24, 2019, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by tomparskate
What routes are best to use this voucher? Ideally I want to do a CW or maybe even F?

I was looking at LHR-JFK and although there is availability taxes are crazy!

Are there any good low tax routes or ex-eu that could technically work on it?
As you’ve noticed, the taxes, fees and charges on even Economy redemptions mean that the best value is to redeem for CW or F. A cheap economy ticket to, say, JFK or BOS is about the same price or only marginally more than the TFC on a redemption - and earns, rather than burns, Avios. For this reason, spending Avios on Economy redemptions usually isn’t good value (exceptions sometimes exist, eg if you’re very Avios-rich, or are traveling at short notice/another time when cash fare are very high - in these situations, an economy redemption might make sense).

Not sure about specifically “low tax” routes but by starting in INV or JER, you can avoid paying about £175 per person in air passenger duty. By way of an example, the TFC for INV-LHR-BNA (and return) was £524.82 per person when I booked it in November for Club World; it would’ve been another ~£175 each without starting from INV.

You cannot do an ex-EU using the 2-4-1: you must depart from a UK/Channel Islands airport.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 2:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I have 2 x 2-4-1 to use up, or should i say had, as ive used one recently to redeem return to Hong Kong in First, one of the lower priced routes for fees etc, £1163 for two of us, didnt think it was too bad, going late Nov 19 so the summer heat is over, but hopefully should be warm and dry. Our first first and an A380, two birds with one stone.
mikeyfly and TPRun like this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 3:01 pm

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Originally Posted by botham
Two questions re the follow-up phone call once the return has been booked online. Must the UK office be called to amend the 2-4-1 or can an office be called in USA for example. Does the office need to be called the next day or would it wait until I returned to the UK?
I don't know if there is any time limit - I can't see why there should be. I think I did it on a previous occasion a day or two afterwards, rather than later the same day. You could call and ask the question before you go away.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 3:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, FB Gold
I've booked my 241 from EDI-LHR-SIN and will be looking to book my return inbound next week - by booking online and then phoning up to "voucher" the ticket.

If I book the first appropriate date and then better return dates crop up later on, how do I change the ticket? Do I have to phone Japan at 1am when the better seats become available. I'm looking for 4 seats in J which don't come up every day?

Is there any hassle doing this or is it straightforward?
Old Apr 24, 2019, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by munchthepow
A word of warning that I appear to have missed from this thread; It was a 2 for 1 for my wife and daughter; I am registered to operate my wife's account and that was all fine. However, I was not in the same country as my wife at the time so wanted to pay with my credit card, not hers that she had already used for the outbound.
Because it was your wife's account from which the Avios were being taken, the payment must be made using her credit card. That's a rule applicable to all redemptions.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 7:27 am

Programs: BA Silver
I have a 2-4-1 that I’m looking to use for a trip to Tokyo in December in CW.

There’s decent availability on/around the dates I’m after, so here’s my situation.

A straight up ABZ-NRT return prices out at 150k avios + £655

INV-NRT One Way is 75k + £250
NRT-ABZ One Way is 75k + £110
(So a £600 saving between two people)

So question is, can I book the INV-NRT as a one way booking and then immediately call up BAEC and add the NRT-ABZ as a return? I’ve had a look through the threads and phoning up to add a return onto a 2-4-1 booked as a one way doesn’t seem a problem, but does the fact that the departure airport would be INV and the arrival airport being ABZ blow a hole in this plan?

Old Apr 27, 2019, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by ABZFlyer16
I have a 2-4-1 that I’m looking to use for a trip to Tokyo in December in CW.

There’s decent availability on/around the dates I’m after, so here’s my situation.

A straight up ABZ-NRT return prices out at 150k avios + £655

INV-NRT One Way is 75k + £250
NRT-ABZ One Way is 75k + £110
(So a £600 saving between two people)

So question is, can I book the INV-NRT as a one way booking and then immediately call up BAEC and add the NRT-ABZ as a return? I’ve had a look through the threads and phoning up to add a return onto a 2-4-1 booked as a one way doesn’t seem a problem, but does the fact that the departure airport would be INV and the arrival airport being ABZ blow a hole in this plan?

No, the 241 is only a return, not two “one ways”

The saving would be significant from HKG but it’s not possible

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.