Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2019, 6:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA

the seats are released at 0000 GMT so currently As the Uk is on BST you need to call at 0100 UK time.

bear in mind there is no guarantee F seats are released at 355 days, unlike the commitment to release 2 j seats.
That’s way past my bed time.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 11:59 pm

the seats are released at 0000 GMT so currently As the Uk is on BST you need to call at 0100 UK time.

bear in mind there is no guarantee F seats are released at 355 days, unlike the commitment to release 2 j seats.
Originally Posted by stephenjc
I booked EDI-LHR-NRT in first on Thursday morning and the UK leg was free, cost 120,000 Avios.

Edit: that was using a 2-4-1. Waiting for T-355 for the return leg.
So far I’ve managed to book two seats in J for LHR to NRT. I did this at 06.00, so I might try another booking at 01.00 to try for F. Otherwise I have to wait until T-355 for the return from Osaka. I guess if I can’t secure the return, I can either cancel the outbound or pay cash?
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by botham

At what time of day did you make the booking, as I want to do LHR- NRT in F on 2-4-1. I am totally flexible on dates, as long as my wife sees the cherry blossom!

i assume I have to book at 00.01 UK time?
I booked at 5am, woke up, decided to check the reward finder on the App, saw availability to NRT and HND, but preferred the timings of the NRT flight.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 2:40 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
So far I’ve managed to book two seats in J for LHR to NRT. I did this at 06.00, so I might try another booking at 01.00 to try for F. Otherwise I have to wait until T-355 for the return from Osaka. I guess if I can’t secure the return, I can either cancel the outbound or pay cash?
you can book a cash for your inbound but it would be a completely separate booking. Also 2-4-1 vouchers are supposed to be for return bookings rather than one way - I honestly don't know if and when BA would pick your one way outbound up and do anything about it tho.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 3:13 am

Worried about return

Having booked the outbound trip I’m now worried that we won’t be able to book a return but I suppose we can always cancel the outbound if that were the case, or pay.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 3:27 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Having booked the outbound trip I’m now worried that we won’t be able to book a return but I suppose we can always cancel the outbound if that were the case, or pay.
You can cancel the outbound for a cancellation fee of £35 per person. Regarding paying for the inbound see my post above.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 3:51 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Two alternative alternative inbounds that might appeal if you don't find the seats you want:

i) From HKG: there is generally decent availability and you will save £164pp in YQ if-and-only-if you can book the inbound in the "new" fashion: book it as a normal full-price (2x avios) one-way, then phone and have it vouchered. They'll return half the avios but won't join/reprice the booking so you'll benefit from zero ex-HKG YQ.

ii) From PEK: again better availability and it's in a lower avios band (potentially saving you enough avios for a Japan-PEK connection). You can transit-without-visa for a few days in PEK.

If you book HKG, it's in the same band so you could later switch it to Japan-LHR if availability appeared.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by stephenjc
I booked EDI-LHR-NRT in first on Thursday morning and the UK leg was free, cost 120,000 Avios.

Edit: that was using a 2-4-1. Waiting for T-355 for the return leg.
Originally Posted by pauldb
Two alternative alternative inbounds that might appeal if you don't find the seats you want:

i) From HKG: there is generally decent availability and you will save £164pp in YQ if-and-only-if you can book the inbound in the "new" fashion: book it as a normal full-price (2x avios) one-way, then phone and have it vouchered. They'll return half the avios but won't join/reprice the booking so you'll benefit from zero ex-HKG YQ.

ii) From PEK: again better availability and it's in a lower avios band (potentially saving you enough avios for a Japan-PEK connection). You can transit-without-visa for a few days in PEK.

If you book HKG, it's in the same band so you could later switch it to Japan-LHR if availability appeared.
Thanks for the help. My wife wants to tour Japan, so we’re planning on returning from Osaka, but I guess we may have to consider your suggested alternatives. We are used to booking everything in one go, therefore not worrying about more than is essential!

I take your point about booking the returns online then telephoning to change from rewards to 2-4-1, but a further complication is that we’ll be on hols in Orlando so will have to work out time difference.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 1:59 am

Sorry, but what does YQ stand for - fuel surcharge ��

Another question, if booking return from Hong Kong, which FF miles can be used between Osaka and HK, or is it best to pay? Possibly VS?

Last edited by botham; Apr 24, 2019 at 2:25 am Reason: Found glossary
Old Apr 24, 2019, 2:45 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Yes fuel surcharge: if you try a dummy booking HKG-LHR you'll see the fees are only £34.

You can use avios for KIX-HKG on Cathay, 20k+£41 in biz or 10k in economy: you'll have to weigh that against a cash fare. Cathay operate a longhaul business class on the 4hr flight i believe.

That said, unless HKG actually appeals, if you are in Orlando I'm struggling to see why you wouldn't make your first choice snagging the inbound from KIX at 1am BST = 8pm Orlando time, then calling BAEC UK the next morning (8am Orlando) to have it vouchered. (I forgot that Japan also has low YQ: from there the fees are £75pp so the HKG benefit is modest.)
botham likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 2:55 am

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
My AMEX account is showing that I have hit the spend and therefore qualified for the voucher.

How long will it take to show on my BA account? Can I proactively contact BA earlier to make a booking?
Old Apr 24, 2019, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Will100
How long will it take to show on my BA account?
Usually, it takes a few days - perhaps tomorrow, Friday or Saturday.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 3:23 am

Originally Posted by Will100
My AMEX account is showing that I have hit the spend and therefore qualified for the voucher.

How long will it take to show on my BA account? Can I proactively contact BA earlier to make a booking?
I usually get notification before I realise I’ve hit the limit!

😀
Old Apr 24, 2019, 3:25 am

Yes fuel surcharge: if you try a dummy booking HKG-LHR you'll see the fees are only £34.

You can use avios for KIX-HKG on Cathay, 20k+£41 in biz or 10k in economy: you'll have to weigh that against a cash fare. Cathay operate a longhaul business class on the 4hr flight i believe.

That said, unless HKG actually appeals, if you are in Orlando I'm struggling to see why you wouldn't make your first choice snagging the inbound from KIX at 1am BST = 8pm Orlando time, then calling BAEC UK the next morning (8am Orlando) to have it vouchered. (I forgot that Japan also has low YQ: from there the fees are £75pp so the HKG benefit is modest.)
Thanks, you explain it so clearly. Now can you arrange the cherry blossom to be out then! 😉
Old Apr 24, 2019, 3:29 am

​Oops

Last edited by spaninan; Apr 24, 2019 at 3:43 am Reason: Posted in wrong thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.