Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:09 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pauldb
I mean while I was asking about the avios&money option, I thought I'd ask about YQ also, without much hope that it's a free option. (In fact thinking about, maybe the example I'm recall was the inbound booking being combined into a return: harder to achieve but with a more obvious recalculation of YQ?)
Apologies pauldb. I misunderstood and yes you are right of course, I did see the other question about avios & money but I wasn't sure of the answer so didn't comment.
pauldb likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:14 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
The global telephone number link in the WIKI doesn't seem to work any more. Does anyone have a gold line number for the USA / far-east as I want to complete a 2-4-1 booking (I don't have enough avios to do it as a separate booking)

Thanks in advance
Old Mar 14, 2019, 4:20 am

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by pauldb

I noticed that she refunded the full 2x avios for the inbound and then recharged me the 1x avios. So a question for anyone who has tried, or maybe our BA lurkers:

If I didn't have enough avios to book the inbound with full 2x avios, could I book it with avios&money - then could the BA agent refund the avios&money and recharge the 1x avios? eg. SIN-LON is 210k for 2; could I book it for 105k+Ł1930, then have effectively the Ł1930 refunded (105k+Ł1930 ref'd, 105k "241" recharged)?
If you use the voucher online it prevents Avios & money being offered as an option.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 4:34 am

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
Ah! You said *inbound* ... sorry. No idea! Would it be covered by the normal 24 hour no quibble refund policy?
Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:55 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by memesweeper
Ah! You said *inbound* ... sorry. No idea! Would it be covered by the normal 24 hour no quibble refund policy?
It would, but then you’d be hoping the seats become re-available, for the the agent you are speaking with to be able to grab them. I’m talking about holding the booking but having the costs reassessed (as is done in two 2x to 1x mechanism).
Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: qatar airways platinum
I have read most of the thread. Am I correct in thinking I can book 2 first tickets ( if they are available) for an outward Journey, leave the return open, and then call again in say 10 days to try and secure the returns? The flights would be 350 plus in advance.

Thanks
Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:49 am

Programs: BA Silver, A* Gold (Avianca Brazil)
It has been discussed on this forum that when it comes to securing 2 return seats on high demand reward routes, it is possible to purchase the two seats online at the relevant time - i.e. 1am, then phone BA to combine this reservation with an existing AMEX 2-4-1 outbound booking and revive the applicable refund of AVIOS.

Could someone confirm if this is definitely BA policy, or whether one has to find the right agent in the right frame of mind to effect this combination?

If this approach is a sure thing, then this will make my life easier than having to be on the phone at random time in a random when I am on my travels next month...
Old Mar 14, 2019, 7:29 am

Hi

I have just earned my 2-4-1 voucher on BA. I currently have just over 50,000 avios and would like to book a trip, we are open to any destination ideally in business class and long haul and to travel next year anytime between January and March.
I don't mind paying to add extra avios if i need too.

Any help would be grateful.
Thanks
Old Mar 14, 2019, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by RDOFlyer
I have just earned my 2-4-1 voucher on BA. I currently have just over 50,000 avios and would like to book a trip, we are open to any destination ideally in business class and long haul and to travel next year anytime between January and March.
With only 50,000 Avios, you may be quite limited in where you can go, even with a 2-4-1 voucher. If you have a look at the table below which comes from the sticky thread on redemptions (Your guide to spending Avios | 2019 edition), you'll see how much you need to spend. These are one-way prices; although the voucher means that you only need to pay the number of Avios for one person, a short long-haul trip (eg New York) would still cost 50,000 Avios one-way or 100,000 Avios round-trip at off-peak prices.

Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by silverfc
It has been discussed on this forum that when it comes to securing 2 return seats on high demand reward routes, it is possible to purchase the two seats online at the relevant time - i.e. 1am, then phone BA to combine this reservation with an existing AMEX 2-4-1 outbound booking and revive the applicable refund of AVIOS.

Could someone confirm if this is definitely BA policy, or whether one has to find the right agent in the right frame of mind to effect this combination?

If this approach is a sure thing, then this will make my life easier than having to be on the phone at random time in a random when I am on my travels next month...
I have done this many times. It is definitely BA policy.
KARFA and argonath like this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by celtic_warrior
I have read most of the thread. Am I correct in thinking I can book 2 first tickets ( if they are available) for an outward Journey, leave the return open, and then call again in say 10 days to try and secure the returns? The flights would be 350 plus in advance.

Thanks
Yes, you can. Or, alternatively, use the method described in the previous post.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: qatar airways platinum
Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia

Yes, you can. Or, alternatively, use the method described in the previous post.
Thanks for the clarification. I appreciate it.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:15 am

Programs: BA Silver, A* Gold (Avianca Brazil)
Many thanks

That really helps!!
Old Mar 14, 2019, 4:42 pm

I've had a search, and can't seem to find the answer, might not be using the right terms.

I'm looking to book an itinerary along the lines of domestic-LHR-MIA-CUN. Probably with a stopover in MIA in at least one direction. I know i can't use the 2-4-1 on the MIA-CUN legs, but can i book the whole itinerary on one PNR and still get the voucher savings on the longhaul? I'm assuming i will need to phone, will they waive the phone booking fee in this instance?

Thanks
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:28 pm

With a BA voucher, the entire itinerary must be on BA metal. You will need two separate PNRs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.