Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by notakeenflyer
I can assure you my wife needs no help with her spending!

Thanks for your replies.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 4:15 pm

Has anyone had the following issue before?

Essentially, I triggered my 2-4-1 on my BA PP, and shortly after the companion voucher was added to my BAEC account, I downgraded my BA PP to the free version for the pro rota refund.

For some reason, after the free version has come through, another companion voucher was posted to my BAEC even though I had not triggered the 20k spending target?

Will BA/Amex revoke the 2nd companion voucher? Or shall I give them a call.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 12:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
Is it possible to use a 241 and add a separate cash ticket on the same PNR? Idea would be to benefit from the 241 but keep both tickets on the same PNR to get through checking of bags. (Connecting in India so trying to avoid having to get a visa just to recheck bags).
Old Feb 21, 2019, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by Same but different
Is it possible to use a 241 and add a separate cash ticket on the same PNR? Idea would be to benefit from the 241 but keep both tickets on the same PNR to get through checking of bags. (Connecting in India so trying to avoid having to get a visa just to recheck bags).
Avios and cash tickets cannot be combined on 1 PNR.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 1:26 am

Programs: KLM Flying Blue, Singapore Airlines Kris Flyer, British Airways Executive Club
Any tips of securing a booking for two first class tickets (using the two for one voucher) to Hong Kong, Doha or Kuala Lumpur? I understand that these are popular destinations so reward seats are limited or would be snapped up quickly. The voucher expires in May 2020 so I still have some time to make the booking. However, tried searching for availability and there is no availability at all up till mid Feb 2020 for any of the above mentioned destinations :-S
Old Feb 22, 2019, 2:13 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by chinhk
Any tips of securing a booking for two first class tickets (using the two for one voucher) to Hong Kong, Doha or Kuala Lumpur? I understand that these are popular destinations so reward seats are limited or would be snapped up quickly. The voucher expires in May 2020 so I still have some time to make the booking. However, tried searching for availability and there is no availability at all up till mid Feb 2020 for any of the above mentioned destinations :-S
There is no guarantee of ANY First redemption seats on any flight. 2 x Business and 4 x Economy are the only guaranteed redemption options. BA will make First available often, but there is no set formula (at least not known to us outside BA). Best bet is check when flights are released for sale and redemption at 355 days before departure. The Wiki in this thread has a lot more detail on that process and options for booking the return, so I won't repeat it all here.

Also take a look at https://rewardflightfinder.com/ and consider subscribing for an alert if/when the seats you want are released.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Looking to book flights for next winter using a 2 for 1 and x2 J seats are showing now, at 355 days out, for our preferred destination. However, there are three of us travelling. What, if any, risk is there if I book for myself and daughter using the 2 for 1, whilst paying for my wife’s seat on a separate booking, also in J? I can only think of equipment changes or irrops as potentially (and very unlikely) splitting us up.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 5:43 am

Programs: BA
I have a 2-4-1 just activated. My question is - are they valid on BA0001 from LCY to JFK on the A318 all business class flight? I know this is a very niche flight and i wasn't sure if any T&C's prohibit such a use of the voucher?
Old Feb 26, 2019, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
There should be no problem with using the voucher for BA1.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 10:27 am

Firstly thanks to baredemptionfinder alerts I managed to upgrade my WT return from Male to WTP, so very happy with that. Feel like CW to Chennai and WTP back from Male is not a bad result in the end. Here's hoping a couple of CW seats pop up at a later date.

I had read about and expected the Ł35 change fee x 2. I must admit the Ł15 x 2 telephone service fee in addition grated a little bit. Was it correct that I was charged this?
Old Mar 1, 2019, 4:15 am

Programs: BA Nada, HH Diamond, IHG Spire AMB, Marriott Plat, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by hingus2000
Firstly thanks to baredemptionfinder alerts I managed to upgrade my WT return from Male to WTP, so very happy with that. Feel like CW to Chennai and WTP back from Male is not a bad result in the end. Here's hoping a couple of CW seats pop up at a later date.

I had read about and expected the Ł35 change fee x 2. I must admit the Ł15 x 2 telephone service fee in addition grated a little bit. Was it correct that I was charged this?
Doesnt sound right to me, 2xŁ35 yes, but you had to call because you couldn’t make the change online so they shouldn’t charge the phone fee. I’d call back or message them on Twitter.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by strickers
... but you had to call because you couldn’t make the change online so they shouldn’t charge the phone fee. ...
It should be said that this is not quite BA policy: If the website offers the function, but it falls over for that particular transaction, then the offline fee shouldn't be charged. However, if the website doesn't offer the function at all, and you have to call to do it, then the offline fee is payable.

Often, agents are willing to be more generous than the policy, but that is what the policy is.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: BA Nada, HH Diamond, IHG Spire AMB, Marriott Plat, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
It should be said that this is not quite BA policy: If the website offers the function, but it falls over for that particular transaction, then the offline fee shouldn't be charged. However, if the website doesn't offer the function at all, and you have to call to do it, then the offline fee is payable.

Often, agents are willing to be more generous than the policy, but that is what the policy is.
Good to know, thanks.

I always start any conversations with the agent by explaining that I tried the website but it wouldn’t work so maybe that and a bit of luck has saved me some money.

Last edited by strickers; Mar 1, 2019 at 10:42 am
Old Mar 4, 2019, 6:10 am

Q: Does cancelling my BA American Express card mean I will lose the voucher? Does downgrading my BA American Express Premium Plus card to the Classic card mean I will lose my voucher?
A: No. Contrary to what American Express will tell you, you will keep the voucher if you cancel the card entirely, and similarly your voucher will retain its two year validity if you downgrade from the Premium Plus card to the Classic Card. Remember though that you will need to pay the taxes and fees on an American Express card, so it may be worth asking to downgrade the Premium Plus to the Classic card for this purpose if you don’t hold another Amex.

I have a BA Prem Plus and a Rewards Gold card. I am looking to cycle between the two to maximize welcome bonus' and ensure I'm not paying 2 lots of annual fee.
I recently earned the companion voucher so called up Amex to cancel the BA card. The woman was threatening that I HAVE to book using the BA card and its not part of their T&C but BA's. I told her I had heard that this is not true and she said she'd heard that too but could not comment. I said, okay I'll use the voucher then cancel the card and she threatened that if I don't have the original payment card at the time of travel the ticket could be voided. This sounds like desperate attempts to stop me cancelling.
Is there any truth in what they say or any examples of the voucher/booking being cancelled as a result of the card being cancelled??
Old Mar 4, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by mikeday1983
Q: Does cancelling my BA American Express card mean I will lose the voucher? Does downgrading my BA American Express Premium Plus card to the Classic card mean I will lose my voucher?
A: No. Contrary to what American Express will tell you, you will keep the voucher if you cancel the card entirely, and similarly your voucher will retain its two year validity if you downgrade from the Premium Plus card to the Classic Card. Remember though that you will need to pay the taxes and fees on an American Express card, so it may be worth asking to downgrade the Premium Plus to the Classic card for this purpose if you don’t hold another Amex.

I have a BA Prem Plus and a Rewards Gold card. I am looking to cycle between the two to maximize welcome bonus' and ensure I'm not paying 2 lots of annual fee.
I recently earned the companion voucher so called up Amex to cancel the BA card. The woman was threatening that I HAVE to book using the BA card and its not part of their T&C but BA's. I told her I had heard that this is not true and she said she'd heard that too but could not comment. I said, okay I'll use the voucher then cancel the card and she threatened that if I don't have the original payment card at the time of travel the ticket could be voided. This sounds like desperate attempts to stop me cancelling.
Is there any truth in what they say or any examples of the voucher/booking being cancelled as a result of the card being cancelled??
(1) although it is in the Ts and Cs (and will be confirmed by the phone agents), 241 bookings do not have to be made with the original card, just any Amex card. It is a waste of time arguing with the agents, and they are just doing their job and telling you what they believe to be true.

(2) If you want to be cautious and book first, then cancel the card fine - just keep the cancelled card to show at checkin in the unlikely case that it is required.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.