Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold
A few quick questions if I may:

1. I have a 2-4-1 that expires just before I want to use it. If I upgrade my card to Platinum Plus will my voucher be automatically extended for another year? How do I arrange that?
2. Who do I upgrade my card with, Amex or BA.
3. I assume outbound flight has to be flown not just booked before my voucher expires.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by Newly Wed

1. I have a 2-4-1 that expires just before I want to use it. If I upgrade my card to Platinum Plus will my voucher be automatically extended for another year? How do I arrange that?
3. I assume outbound flight has to be flown not just booked before my voucher expires.

1. If the voucher is already earned then it's too late, upgrading won't make a difference. Upgrading would only work if you hadn't already triggered the voucher.
2. N/A
3. Correct
Old Feb 8, 2019, 2:32 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Originally Posted by Newly Wed

The questions have been answered above, but your situation highlights a couple of points about the benefits of BAPP over the basic card.

Firstly the 20k spend on the basic card, split over 2 premium cards (which may be a possibility if your username is accurate!) would earn 2 companion vouchers. And, maybe more importantly, they would both be valid for 2 years rather than 1. If you are trying to book 241 redemptions at T-355, a one-year voucher may not ever work.
argonath likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 7:29 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonors, SPG, Marriott, A|Club, Tesco CC, Costa Coffee Club
OLCI and boarding processes (using 241 voucher)

Does anyone have any (recent) data points/experience about online check-in and boarding processes, for a booking made using the Amex 241 voucher? Specifically, I'd like to know (before travelling):

a.can I and my 'companion' check-in separately online at T-24? Or will I be forced to do this myself, checking in both travellers in a single transaction?

b. (linked to above) can we each download our own boarding pass separately, to our respective mobile phones? (We are travelling independently to LHR from different UK locations, and would prefer to each check-in, clear security, then meet up airside if possible).

c. if an unexpected emergency occurs (e.g. family illness forces me to return early to UK, paying for a new one-way ticket) will my "companion" (in practical terms) still be able to travel on the originally-booked return leg?

Regarding point c., for avoidance of doubt, I already know this is technically not allowed. I am absolutely NOT trying to game the system here - we fully intend to travel together on the return leg - I'm just asking hypothetically, in case of a genuine emergency. At what point (at an overseas station) would BA become aware I was not on the second flight? Assuming I were to OLCI (even though I was already back in the UK) would they cross-check at boarding to ensure "traveller and companion" were both present? We will both be travelling HBO, but will we be caught out by a passport check somewhere? Would they deny boarding to an unaccompanied "companion" at the gate? Or would they wait until boarding was complete (with one "no-show") and remove the "companion" from the aircraft at that (very late) stage? Seems very unlikely from what I can tell, since most processes (after the booking stage) appear to be built around the concept of individual travellers, rather than companions who must remain joined at the hip. But does anyone know for sure?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 7:46 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by larryflyer
Does anyone have any (recent) data points/experience about online check-in and boarding processes, for a booking made using the Amex 241 voucher? Specifically, I'd like to know (before travelling):

a.can I and my 'companion' check-in separately online at T-24? Or will I be forced to do this myself, checking in both travellers in a single transaction?

b. (linked to above) can we each download our own boarding pass separately, to our respective mobile phones? (We are travelling independently to LHR from different UK locations, and would prefer to each check-in, clear security, then meet up airside if possible).

c. if an unexpected emergency occurs (e.g. family illness forces me to return early to UK, paying for a new one-way ticket) will my "companion" (in practical terms) still be able to travel on the originally-booked return leg?

Regarding point c., for avoidance of doubt, I already know this is technically not allowed. I am absolutely NOT trying to game the system here - we fully intend to travel together on the return leg - I'm just asking hypothetically, in case of a genuine emergency. At what point (at an overseas station) would BA become aware I was not on the second flight? Assuming I were to OLCI (even though I was already back in the UK) would they cross-check at boarding to ensure "traveller and companion" were both present? We will both be travelling HBO, but will we be caught out by a passport check somewhere? Would they deny boarding to an unaccompanied "companion" at the gate? Or would they wait until boarding was complete (with one "no-show") and remove the "companion" from the aircraft at that (very late) stage? Seems very unlikely from what I can tell, since most processes (after the booking stage) appear to be built around the concept of individual travellers, rather than companions who must remain joined at the hip. But does anyone know for sure?
Re a and b: I have done this many times with husband and there will be no difficulty.

Re c: I have no personal experience but I am reasonably sure that if it is the companion who has to re-arrange then you can still travel. The companion will no-show and forfeit any benefit. If it si you who has to re-arrange I think the same applies but I cannot be sure never having had the situation arise.

H
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:47 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonors, SPG, Marriott, A|Club, Tesco CC, Costa Coffee Club
Companion checked in, now cannot fly

Well, I didn’t see this one coming...

Due to fly later today on a 241 voucher booking. We both did OLCI yesterday. Now companion has gone down with flu, can’t make the trip. :-(

I’ll be travelling alone. Presume no way to get anything back at less than T-24? Not too worried about the 241 voucher (was due to expire soon anyway) but refund of (not trivial) taxes and fees, for outbound or return leg, would be nice. Presume no chance? Shall I now ask BA to offload my companion, or just leave him as a no-show?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:11 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by vintagepilot
The questions have been answered above, but your situation highlights a couple of points about the benefits of BAPP over the basic card.

Firstly the 20k spend on the basic card, split over 2 premium cards (which may be a possibility if your username is accurate!) would earn 2 companion vouchers. And, maybe more importantly, they would both be valid for 2 years rather than 1. If you are trying to book 241 redemptions at T-355, a one-year voucher may not ever work.
Just a data point in relation to the questions I asked above: GGL Line agreed to put in a request to extend my voucher to allow it to be used for this trip. The voucher was extended within 12 hours and has been applied retrospectively to the booking allowing half the Avios to be refunded. With 2 x 2-4-1 vouchers plus 4 GUFs we have secured 4 x F flights to LAX for 300,000 Avios which I think is a great deal.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Oh no! That is a bit of a nightmare. What happened? I thought BA might not let you fly if the companion on the 2for1 didn't turn up for the outbound flight?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by larryflyer
Well, I didn’t see this one coming...

Due to fly later today on a 241 voucher booking. We both did OLCI yesterday. Now companion has gone down with flu, can’t make the trip. :-(

I’ll be travelling alone. Presume no way to get anything back at less than T-24? Not too worried about the 241 voucher (was due to expire soon anyway) but refund of (not trivial) taxes and fees, for outbound or return leg, would be nice. Presume no chance? Shall I now ask BA to offload my companion, or just leave him as a no-show?
Oh no! That is a bit of a nightmare. What happened? I thought BA might not let you fly if the companion on the 2for1 didn't turn up for the outbound flight?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Rufin
So, I flew alone, with no problems. Companion is not required for the main voucher holder to fly as booked (it’s the reverse situation that is much more problematic, as per my original (hypothetical) post.

I did the decent thing, and asked for my ‘companion’ to be offloaded when I went for my passport/visa check.

Later, airside, I enquired about refund of APD for the unused tickets. Was told I should apply using form on ba.com, but advised not to do so immediately, but wait until I had compiled my own flights (outbound and return). Fingers crossed. This was a redemption booking in CW, so hoping to get a decent amount back. Will it be ALL of the taxes and fees, does anyone know? Or just strictly the APD element?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:49 am

Programs: Budding BA Bronze, MPC Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
Glad you got it sorted in the end. Two points though:

1. I very much doubt invoking FT on the phone with an airline will get you any further. The agent was wrong as you noted, but it is a relatively new way to do 2-4-1 bookings - I am not saying that as an excuse, just merely as a reason the agent wasn't aware, although they should have been of course.

2. I would very strongly advise anyone not to use that method of booking two separate one ways when going to the US. I know I keep repeating this and I am sure most regular readers will be bored of me saying this. The main downside of doing it by doing two separate bookings and having the 2-4-1 applied across both is that taxes/charges/fees are not recalculated when the voucher is applied across to the second booking. Sometimes this will work out well for you (bookings exHKG for example), but for exUS or exCA bookings it is not recommended at all.

exUS/CA TFC is much higher and doing it this way will lead you to pay probably several hundred pounds more overall than you need to. If doing exUS/CA bookings the old method of calling and adding in the inbound to the existing booking is much better since TFC is recalculated and repriced as a return. For example:

I hand't realised when this new two bookings method was added to the wiki back in February that this important caveat was not included, but in any case I will add it now.

I apologise for banging on about this, I don't apologise for trying to save you money. I am sure the money is better in your pocket than in BA's
Anyone know if booking a one way return leg online from Costa Rica SJO - Lon comes up more expensive like exUS/CA?

My laptop and internet at work is so bad navigating the BA website is near on impossible! Thanks.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 6:36 am

Question. I have a BA Premier Plus card. Can my partner add me to hers as a supplementary card so I can help her with her spending. Or will they not let it happen since I already have my own full card.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 6:49 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by jday
Question. I have a BA Premier Plus card. Can my partner add me to hers as a supplementary card so I can help her with her spending. Or will they not let it happen since I already have my own full card.
Shouldn't be a problem. My wife and I both have a primary card plus a supp card on each others' account - 4 cards in total.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
yes
we swap cards to earn 2 companion vouchers per year
Old Feb 15, 2019, 7:44 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
I can assure you my wife needs no help with her spending!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.