Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2019, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Hatsu
In the wiki post, I read that the vouchers are "valid towards return flights only, with the journey originating from and returning to your country of membership (with the exception of vouchers issued in the UK which may also be used for one-way travel)". Does that imply that, once we move to Japan, we could change our country of membership from the UK to Japan and therefore we would be able to spend the two companion vouchers to book reward flights originating from and returning to Tokyo?
No, because wherever your BAEC country of membership, a UK-issued voucher can only be used for travel originating in the UK (albeit that it can be used either for one-way or round-trip travel).
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
No, because wherever your BAEC country of membership, a UK-issued voucher can only be used for travel originating in the UK (albeit that it can be used either for one-way or round-trip travel).
Thank you for the quick and precise reply. I have a follow up question: if I move my BAEC membership to Japan, will I still be able to redeem the UK-issued vouchers as long as the trip originates from and returns to the UK?
Old Jan 25, 2019, 4:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
For the first time since I’ve been doing this I didn't manage to secure the two seats I wanted on two consecutive attempts at T-355. It was for a SCL-LHR in January.

I ended up keeping the outbound on the 2-4-1 and booking the return on IB via MAD. At least for now. More avios, but less cash.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 3:54 am

Programs: QRPC Plat; Marriott Plat; Hilton Gold
quick question I wanted to ask.. if I book a return can I cancel the inbound after flying the outbound or does the ticket become non-changeable after flying the first leg?
Old Jan 27, 2019, 4:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
Originally Posted by ringingup
For the first time since I’ve been doing this I didn't manage to secure the two seats I wanted on two consecutive attempts at T-355. It was for a SCL-LHR in January.

I ended up keeping the outbound on the 2-4-1 and booking the return on IB via MAD. At least for now. More avios, but less cash.
I had the same problem for a holiday we had last year. We booked return flights from Sao Paulo - there seemed to be plenty of availability, including in F. There were also plenty of Avios flights on Latam from SCL to GRU (including on a decent but unnecessary flat bed on some flights). We had a 24 hour stop in Sao Paulo as well, though that wasn't necessary. Kept checking for flights from SCL and they never came up.
If you want to save some Avios I'd recommend that - depending on dates BA Redemption Finder is showing 2 seats on the last few days available currently

Last edited by omk298; Jan 27, 2019 at 4:58 am Reason: Add quote
Old Jan 27, 2019, 6:34 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by ringingup

Don’t overlook that you have viruallly another year to use the inbound, potentially on an otherwise distinct trip. There’s a lot that pairs validly with SCL: e.g. IAH, MIA, SYD or CPT.
ringingup likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 3:47 pm

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by salehir
quick question I wanted to ask.. if I book a return can I cancel the inbound after flying the outbound or does the ticket become non-changeable after flying the first leg?
You can't get your points back if you cancel the inbound. I'm not sure if you can change the date, but I think you can.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: A3, Accor, BA, IHG, HH, SPG, TK
Saving on APD

Hi all,
Just triggered my first 2-4-1 voucher. As people are saying we save APD by flying out of Jersey/Inverness, how much APD would I actually save if I flew JER-LGW-LHR-MIA return in Business class? Would I have to pay additional Avios for the JER-LGW leg?
Also, how easy is it to arrange an open-jaw back via EWR in First? Can we 'mix and match' classes on a 2-4-1?
I presume all of this would have to be done by calling BA.
Thanks!
Old Jan 27, 2019, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by Rooey
Can we 'mix and match' classes on a 2-4-1?
Thanks!
Yes, you can fly different classes of service on different legs, so long as you and your companion are in the same cabin.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:09 am

Apologies if already covered upstream...

I need to cancel my companion ticket booking. It’s a simple point to point (ie not open jaw). If I do it online with MMB willl the voucher and miles credit immediately as I want to rebook to a different destination? I know the refund of the money may take a while which is fine.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:52 am

Hi all,
Just triggered my first 2-4-1 voucher. As people are saying we save APD by flying out of Jersey/Inverness, how much APD would I actually save if I flew JER-LGW-LHR-MIA return in Business class? Would I have to pay additional Avios for the JER-LGW leg?
Also, how easy is it to arrange an open-jaw back via EWR in First? Can we 'mix and match' classes on a 2-4-1?
I presume all of this would have to be done by calling BA.
Thanks!
I haven’t done ex-JER, but assuming the APD amount is the same as ex-INV, in business or first class you’d save around £170 per person (ie approx £340).

Because you’re connecting onto a long haul flight, no additional Avios are required to get you from JER-LGW (and return on the way back). Obviously you’d need positioning flights to/from JER, and enough contingency, such as a hotel.

Open jaw returns are doable - I did this recently when booking - as long as the distance between in this case MIA and EWR is less than EWR-LGW (which it should be, judging by the last time I checked a globe). It is also possible to mix classes on the outbound and inbound, though I’ve not done this.

For Open Jaw and mixed class bookings - yes, you’ll need to ring up. I found the agent very helpful and knew precisely what I was after (in my case ex-INV).

One thing to consider is where you’re based, and how you’re getting back there. If JER isn’t a convenient place to return to, you can ask them to do the return to another regional airport. I asked about this, more in hope than anything else, and it was absolutely fine (our routing is INV-LHR-BNA, returning MSY-LHR-NCL - this saves an additional overnight in INV and the cost of the return journey from there). If another regional airport is better for you than JER, and you’re only starting from there to avoid APD, this is a good option.

On the other hand, if London is your final destination, the LHR-LGW airport change means you’ll need to collect your luggage anyhow - so you can always skip the LGW-JER leg if needed (with the same effect, of reducing time/money associated with going all the way back to JER and coming back).
Old Jan 28, 2019, 2:09 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by squawk
One thing to consider is where you’re based, and how you’re getting back there. If JER isn’t a convenient place to return to, you can ask them to do the return to another regional airport. I asked about this, more in hope than anything else, and it was absolutely fine (our routing is INV-LHR-BNA, returning MSY-LHR-NCL - this saves an additional overnight in INV and the cost of the return journey from there). If another regional airport is better for you than JER, and you’re only starting from there to avoid APD, this is a good option.

On the other hand, if London is your final destination, the LHR-LGW airport change means you’ll need to collect your luggage anyhow - so you can always skip the LGW-JER leg if needed (with the same effect, of reducing time/money associated with going all the way back to JER and coming back).
Bear in mind this is a 2-4-1 booking and APD is only payable for journeys outbound from the UK. Although you have to start from INV/JER to avoid paying APD there is no need to return to INV/JER at the end, you can book back to LON or to another domestic airport (e.g. MAN, NCL, GLA etc.) if that is more convenient.
squawk likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Bear in mind this is a 2-4-1 booking and APD is only payable for journeys outbound from the UK. Although you have to start from INV/JER to avoid paying APD there is no need to return to INV/JER at the end, you can book back to LON or to another domestic airport (e.g. MAN, NCL, GLA etc.) if that is more convenient.
Apologies, @KARFA, I should have made this point explicit in my post - I took it as read! In my case, prior to booking the 2-4-1, I didn’t know whether the origin and destination had to be the same airport (not just “the UK”), hence my pleasant surprise when I asked the agent to return us direct to NCL.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 3:15 am

Programs: A3, Accor, BA, IHG, HH, SPG, TK
Originally Posted by squawk

I haven’t done ex-JER, but assuming the APD amount is the same as ex-INV, in business or first class you’d save around £170 per person (ie approx £340).

Because you’re connecting onto a long haul flight, no additional Avios are required to get you from JER-LGW (and return on the way back). Obviously you’d need positioning flights to/from JER, and enough contingency, such as a hotel.

Open jaw returns are doable - I did this recently when booking - as long as the distance between in this case MIA and EWR is less than EWR-LGW (which it should be, judging by the last time I checked a globe). It is also possible to mix classes on the outbound and inbound, though I’ve not done this.

For Open Jaw and mixed class bookings - yes, you’ll need to ring up. I found the agent very helpful and knew precisely what I was after (in my case ex-INV).

Wow, thanks so much for this! I am flying ex-LON, so not having to go back to JER would be fantastic. However, I had twigged the LGW-LHR connection thing which means I would have skipped the return JER leg anyway. Departing from JER is fine with me as I've always wanted to go and visit the island. APD savings can go towards accommodation etc there.

I'd wanted to go to South America but there was little availability for LIM.
squawk likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 3:31 am

Wow, thanks so much for this!

... APD savings can go towards accommodation etc there.

I'd wanted to go to South America but there was little availability for LIM.
Glad to be of help - this forum is fantastic for information and I'm indebted to many of the contributors here, so it's good to be able to give a little back.

In our case, the APD saving more than covers a train from NCL to INV the previous day (it will be summertime, so I hope there won't be any weather disruption!) and an overnight there. My travelling partner hasn't been north of Edinburgh before so a train trip through the Highlands will be a 'different' way to kick off a break.

We also considered LIM, but had the same issue - we had very limited flexibility in terms of date.

Hope you have a good trip, and if you feel up to it, do post a Trip Report!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.