Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2019, 4:20 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by notakeenflyer
I believe Ł1,200 is the standard credit limit used by credit card companies when illustrating the typical APR. Something to do with financial regulation, I suspect. Amex will determine a personal limit for you based on your financial circumstances. I think It is also possible to put your credit card account into credit by making an excessive debit card payment, but I suspect this may displease Amex, so wouldn't make a habit of it.
Pretty sure Amex won't let you make debit card payments in excess of the outstanding balance on the credit card.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 4:31 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by fruitcage
Pretty sure Amex won't let you make debit card payments in excess of the outstanding balance on the credit card.
You are right, you cannot directly overpay. I know have got into credit before when I have paid off the balance, and then got a statement credit for an offer. You might be able to cleverly time your debit card payment the day the direct debit is scheduled.
It's almost certainly a moot point though, as pointed out by two of us above, the Ł1,200 is a standard illustration.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 4:49 am

Thanks folks.
notakeenflyer likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 5:14 am

Quick follow-up question on guaranteed CW reward availability:

If BA guarantees that two CW reward seats are made available on every flight, does that mean that if I ring up at midnight on the day they are released, the agent will absolutely see that availability (other than if someone beats me to them on the phone)?

I only ask because I haven't been getting overnight alerts from baredemptionfinder.com that my preferred route has had seats become available as we hit T-355. Shouldn't it be the case that if alerts have been set-up for the T-355 period, there would be nightly alerts of two seats coming on stream?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I would check and buy on line the minute, don't delay. This is relevant for the outbound you do not need to call. You can use voucher and grab. Fastest finger first. The return you do unfortunately need to call, and again insist the agent grabs the seats very quickly. The difference between 00.00 and 00.02 can mean seats gone on many busy routes
Old Jan 11, 2019, 5:43 am

Thanks, yes this is for the return leg (we are still beyond T-355). Outbound leg is booked (online).

So it's a case of calling (around 23:50 UK time?), and hoping the agent I speak to is quicker than his/her colleagues?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Correct - and making chit chat until they can see the seats!!
Old Jan 11, 2019, 6:55 am

Any intel on which BA office is best at sorting this sort of thing out? Tokyo or West Coast US?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Honors Gold
What did I do wrong?

Booked the outbound online at exactly T-355 with no problems. To add the return flight I called the US line at 23:50 and pressed option 1 to change an existing booking. I got through to the Indian call centre where I explained what I wanted to do. At this point I was transferred to the 'Executive Club team' and spoke to someone with a northern English accent who told me that a) the UK line closed at 8pm, b) that he couldn't wait on the line for 8 minutes until the seats were released and c) that he couldn't book it anyway as I needed to speak to someone to change an existing booking. I decided to HUACA rather than point out his inconsistencies.

I called the US and pressed option 1 again, got through to India again, who transferred me somewhere again but I have been on hold for 25 minutes. Meanwhile the seats I wanted are long gone...
Old Jan 16, 2019, 2:15 am

Programs: BAEC, AerClub, HHonours
Do you have enough avios to book it yourself online? Then call back during UK working hours and get the 2 for 1 applied. Could try tonight if your plans are flexible for the return flight to be a day out.

Pros: DIY, in your own hands, dont need to convince agent to wait for ticket to become available
Con: Need double avios temporarily, two bookings rather than 1, taxes+fees may work out more expensive for 2 bookings dependent on destination
Old Jan 16, 2019, 2:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, Honors Gold
Originally Posted by KiteFlyerP
Do you have enough avios to book it yourself online?
Not quite, but I could transfer some Amex MR points over. Would they arrive in time? I think it takes 1-2 days
Old Jan 16, 2019, 2:58 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Another thread had me questioning why the 2-4-1 is limited to BA metal over the Atlantic. The JV is metal neutral, is there any reason why IB/AY/AA flights on JV routes are excluded? I suppose it might be difficult to explain why certain flights (or combinations in the case of connections) are allowed but others aren’t.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 5:36 am

Perhaps a silly question, but can anyone clarify what day they classify as 355 days out from today 16th, for example?

This handy calculator says January 6 2020 (which would make sense to me: 16-10=6).

https://www.convertunits.com/dates/daysfromnow/355

However I note the BA reward search only shows up to January 5 2020.

Trying to work out exactly when I should ring for a flight on January 11 2020. My assumption had been Sunday night for 00:00 Monday morning (ie. the 21st)
Old Jan 16, 2019, 6:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by fruitcage
But you can make payments by direct debit to your account from your bank account in excess of your balance. I know that because on a couple of senior moment occasions I have mistakenly paid money into the wrong one of my Amex accounts that way.

In the first instance it was a substantial amount and when I realised what I had done I contacted them and they sorted it out. On the other occasion it was a small amount which I just left and in due course my spending took care of the overpayment.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by hingus2000
Perhaps a silly question, but can anyone clarify what day they classify as 355 days out from today 16th, for example?

This handy calculator says January 6 2020 (which would make sense to me: 16-10=6).

https://www.convertunits.com/dates/daysfromnow/355

However I note the BA reward search only shows up to January 5 2020.

Trying to work out exactly when I should ring for a flight on January 11 2020. My assumption had been Sunday night for 00:00 Monday morning (ie. the 21st)
If you watch ba.com for a few days in advance, you will see the pattern of seat releases.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.