Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 2:18 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by flyer200

Thankyou. What’s the deal with supermarket vouchers. Can I go in store and buy 500 pounds of Waitrose vouchers or do I need to do it online?

apologies for the naivety of the question.
Yes you can do it instore and it wouldn't be that unusual as they are joint JL/Waitrose gift cards, or even in Tesco as they sell them. One step further you could actually load a Zeek account (Amex via Paypal I believe) for a 7% uplift, but you might want to trial run a smaller amount!
flyer200 likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hyatt Platinum
After some advice please folks, it's a little bit of paranoia after the event but hopefully you should be able to put my mind at rest that I haven't made a massive faux pas.:

I've just redeemed 2 x 241 vouchers LHR - HKG in Jul 19, flying out prior to the expiry of the first (on my wife's account) on 18/07. The other voucher was on my account. Because of the vouchers being on 2 separate BAEC accounts (both now sadly down to Bronze after a lack of business flying) I have made 2 separate bookings for the redemptions: 1 for me and one teenage son and the other for my wife and the remaining teenager. Does this generate any major snags in the event of cancellations, bumping or any other sort of IRROPS as obviously I wouldn't want to split the family at check-in at either LHR or HKG; and doing so on Day 1 of the 2 weeks might make it a little testing with Mrs N for the remainder of the hol. If it is going to be a snag, is it possible to combine the 2 redemption bookings onto a single reference thereby mitigating the likelihood of the above?
Thanks for any advice from those with greater experience.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by pauldb
Yes you can do it instore and it wouldn't be that unusual as they are joint JL/Waitrose gift cards, or even in Tesco as they sell them. One step further you could actually load a Zeek account (Amex via Paypal I believe) for a 7% uplift, but you might want to trial run a smaller amount!
Beware that American Express might treat this as "transactions treated as cash" in which case you will be charged a 3% cash advance fee and interested and you will not receive Avios. Even worse, if these transactions do not get reported to American Express as cash equivalent and they suspect them to be, they may suspend your card and ask you to explain the transaction.

Some shops (online and in store) will sell you gift cards as a regular transaction in which case you will have no issue but it is advisable to check first.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
You can call up BA and they will cross reference the two bookings, which serves only to advise airport staff that your party is spread across two bookings. What they chose to do with that is not clear, but one would hope in the event of overbooking, they would not offload the travellers on only one booking (I’m in a similar position with a 2-4-1 and a Lloyds upgrade voucher). It does nothing for seating you all together, but at least as Bronze you get 6 days head start on us ‘Valued Blue” members.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by nemonon
After some advice please folks, it's a little bit of paranoia after the event but hopefully you should be able to put my mind at rest that I haven't made a massive faux pas.:

I've just redeemed 2 x 241 vouchers LHR - HKG in Jul 19, flying out prior to the expiry of the first (on my wife's account) on 18/07. The other voucher was on my account. Because of the vouchers being on 2 separate BAEC accounts (both now sadly down to Bronze after a lack of business flying) I have made 2 separate bookings for the redemptions: 1 for me and one teenage son and the other for my wife and the remaining teenager. Does this generate any major snags in the event of cancellations, bumping or any other sort of IRROPS as obviously I wouldn't want to split the family at check-in at either LHR or HKG; and doing so on Day 1 of the 2 weeks might make it a little testing with Mrs N for the remainder of the hol. If it is going to be a snag, is it possible to combine the 2 redemption bookings onto a single reference thereby mitigating the likelihood of the above?
Thanks for any advice from those with greater experience.
It is possible (though unlikely) that one pair could be upgraded, downgraded, offloaded or re-routed differently to the other pair for 'operational reasons'. You can ask BA to put a note on the bookings - called TCP (To Complete Party) that will note that the two bookings are linked. However, that's a manual note and does not stop them treating the two parties separately if necessary, or if done by some automatic process that doesn't read the notes.

My most immediate concern would be getting seats together (if that's what you want of course). You can look at the seat map as if you were going to pay for seat allocation, and use that to monitor the situation and decide whether you want to pay or wait until T-7 days when your Bronze status will let you both book seats for the two pairs.

Overall, I wouldn't worry too much. I have done bookings in two pairs for similar reasons and never had a problem. So no I don't think you've made a faux pas.

Last edited by fruitcage; Jan 8, 2019 at 1:20 pm
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by Alan Shave
Need some help guys - really just need the benefit of everyone's experience. I may not see the booking through, but it'll be useful to know for future redemptions.

I'd been playing about looking at a Club World/241 redemption from Edinburgh to Punta Cana, but I'm slightly confused about the taxes/charges that are included when you do it from Edinburgh vs cutting out the regional leg and just going from London.

The Avios needed stays the same, which is as I expected.

The taxes/charges from Gatwick are £572.74, but with Edinburgh added are £686.32. If I was the book the Edinburgh to Gatwick flight separately, then the taxes/charges are only £50.

Is that normal?
Anyone?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:41 pm

Anyone?
If you book a domestic return in CE it will price as a Reward Flight Saver with taxes capped at £50. But as part of a long haul itinerary you’ll pay the actual fees including carrier surcharge. That explains why there’s a difference.

As to whether the higher number is correct, try a cash return on ba.com or ITA Matrix and look at the breakdown of the taxes.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:48 pm

Thanks Paul.

It's presumably a case then of accepting higher taxes/fees to save the Avios that'd be required under a separate booking with reward flight saver.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 4:08 pm

Thanks Paul.

It's presumably a case then of accepting higher taxes/fees to save the Avios that'd be required under a separate booking with reward flight saver.
There is also the possibility of not making the connection to consider, if you are on two different tickets.

If Edinburgh is a convenient airport for you, have you considered starting in INV and taking the train up the night before (or a one way car hire)? This will save ~£170 per person in Air Passenger Duty. £340 is sufficient to cover a hotel plus train tickets and still leave you “ahead”. You should be able to route your return directly to EDB or elsewhere, without much change in taxes/fees/charges (you’ll have to ring up to do this). A variant on this - out from INV, returning to NCL - is what I’ve done for my first 2-4-1 redemption, and the agent was able to fix this without any problem at all.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 3:53 am

Just qualified for my first BAPP 2-4-1 voucher. Feels like something of a graduation in this hobby.

I'm getting married on 21 December this year, and it feels like the 2-4-1 voucher would be ideal to use for our honeymoon shortly after.

So: (i) I'm in good T-355 day territory, (ii) I've got a big stack of Avios ready to go; (iii) I've signed up to Baredemptionfinder.com; and (iv) I'm flexible as to where we might go. Feels like I'm doing everything right. And yet, my initial searches are proving rather fruitless. Appreciate that for the return leg of my ideal dates we're still further than 355 days out, but even searching one-ways in late December 2019, availability (in F), anywhere, looks largely non-existent. Am I doing anything wrong, or is this the reality of trying to cash in a 2-4-1?
Old Jan 9, 2019, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by hingus2000
Just qualified for my first BAPP 2-4-1 voucher. Feels like something of a graduation in this hobby.

I'm getting married on 21 December this year, and it feels like the 2-4-1 voucher would be ideal to use for our honeymoon shortly after.

So: (i) I'm in good T-355 day territory, (ii) I've got a big stack of Avios ready to go; (iii) I've signed up to Baredemptionfinder.com; and (iv) I'm flexible as to where we might go. Feels like I'm doing everything right. And yet, my initial searches are proving rather fruitless. Appreciate that for the return leg of my ideal dates we're still further than 355 days out, but even searching one-ways in late December 2019, availability (in F), anywhere, looks largely non-existent. Am I doing anything wrong, or is this the reality of trying to cash in a 2-4-1?
Congratulations, on both counts. BA only guarantees to offer, at T-355, 2J and 4Y seats - nothing in F, though of course on some routes it does open F at the outset.

When are you looking to travel: after 21Dec or after 29Dec? You've missed T-355 for anything up to the 29th. Personally I would work out where you want to go (after 29Dec) and book it at release in J; obviously if it was available in F at midnight grab that. Otherwise you risk having nothing. You can hope that F opens up later (£35pp change fee) or of course change to somewhere else if you find better.

(If you haven't picked up on this, you want to book the outbound asap, then call-up once the inbound comes in to range to add it to the 241 booking.)
Old Jan 9, 2019, 4:11 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by hingus2000
Am I doing anything wrong, or is this the reality of trying to cash in a 2-4-1?
Well, the first thing I'd note is that there is no guarantee of release of F seats at T-355, or indeed at any point. To my knowledge, the only seats BA guarantee are 2xCW and 4xWT on each flight. I appreciate for a honeymoon you are almost certainly going to want to travel F if at all possible though.

Next, you note you are flexible regarding destinations, but if you are looking at 'traditional' destinations like the Caribbean then I think you are going to need to be checking at T-355 on the dot, i.e. to the second after midnight (again notwithstanding that there isn't a guarantee of F anyway). If you are looking at places like New York etc, you should have a bit more flexibility, though with your dates you are going to be competing against travelers going away for Christmas breaks etc.

Personally I find the Reward Flight Finder in the BA app to be very helpful in these sort of searches, as you can select whole areas (e.g. Asia) and ask it to list what's available in F for 2 people in Dec 2019, and it will show the number of dates available in each direction, for each destination city. So if you search Asia for dates post Dec 21st, you don't find very much. But search e.g. USA and you can see availability - as an example 2xF avail to SFO on Dec 23rd and Dec 27th.

But ultimately, for any destination with just one flight a day, you'll be competing with a number of people for a very limited number of seats even where they release F, and so need to be ready at midnight T-355. If you can go to destinations served by multiple flights, the availability should be better in general it seems.

EDIT: I see pauldb has beaten me to it, and would echo their suggestion of securing CW seats where you can if no F available. The £35 cancellation/change is well worth it IMHO
Old Jan 9, 2019, 4:23 am

Congratulations! I would also suggest (if you're not already) using the new feature of BA Redemption Finder which lets you be flexible about your destination but tie it to specific dates - it’s a useful alternative for finding availability for destination which are priced at different levels that you might not have considered.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 4:27 am

Thanks all - good tips all round. Especially with regards to trying the BA app search.

Noted on there being no guaranteed F availability. That is helpful to know. I'll lower my expectations slightly and search in J! Will keep you updated.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by squawk
Congratulations! I would also suggest (if you're not already) using the new feature of BA Redemption Finder which lets you be flexible about your destination but tie it to specific dates - it’s a useful alternative for finding availability for destination which are priced at different levels that you might not have considered.
I've signed up and paid my £3 for exactly this function. However my only comment is it doesn't appear to allow you to search one way? So I have to enter outbound and return dates? Let me know if I'm doing it wrong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.