Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2018, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
30 seconds is intense!! I assume thats midnight or something ghastly?
0000 GMT. It's also worth learning how to work out the date on which your desired flight will open for booking.

I think I once took about 15 seconds to secure a pair of seats in First to SYD. 30 seconds is a leisurely pace in comparison.
Feel sorry for those who aren't savy enough to learn all this. They wil never be able to use their 2 for 1.
No, that's not true, as you will see from baredemptionfinder.

Even if you want to go in First to BGI, there are plenty of October 2019 dates left. And bookings for those have been open for a month or so already. So no, you do not need to do the midnight thing in order to use your 2-4-1. All it means is that you may have slightly less choice, from not being at the very front of the queue.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 8:53 am

Feel sorry for those who aren't savy enough to learn all this. They wil never be able to use their 2 for 1.
I'm not sure that's very fair, or indeed necessarily the case. There is normally good availability to destinations where BA fly multiple times per day, North America for example.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Originally Posted by Globaliser
0000 GMT. It's also worth learning how to work out the date on which your desired flight will open for booking.

I think I once took about 15 seconds to secure a pair of seats in First to SYD. 30 seconds is a leisurely pace in comparison.No, that's not true, as you will see from baredemptionfinder.

Even if you want to go in First to BGI, there are plenty of October 2019 dates left. And bookings for those have been open for a month or so already. So no, you do not need to do the midnight thing in order to use your 2-4-1. All it means is that you may have slightly less choice, from not being at the very front of the queue.
Yes, I just checked IAD randomly and there is indeed heaps of avalibility. I guess F or CW to barbados in December is a popular offering for sure. I'll do plenty reading.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by grantsteve
I'm not sure that's very fair, or indeed necessarily the case. There is normally good availability to destinations where BA fly multiple times per day, North America for example.
Equally there is pretty poor availability to destinations where BA flies once a day. For example. Want to redeem your Avios to barbados in CW or F between now and june next year? Literally not a single slot there.
Considering many many people outside this world here just assume you can opt to "pay with miles" you have accrued when you so please. Having that lack of availability is pretty poor and does go to devaluing avios IMO.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 9:12 am

Equally there is pretty poor availability to destinations where BA flies once a day. For example. Want to redeem your Avios to barbados in CW or F between now and june next year? Literally not a single slot there.
Supply and demand would suggest that is logical though wouldn't it? Availabilty on a less frequent route at a popular time will always be in short supply.

Considering many many people outside this world here just assume you can opt to "pay with miles" you have accrued when you so please. Having that lack of availability is pretty poor and does go to devaluing avios IMO.
I agree with the first part of this, and unless you are the sort of person who researches something in preparation (which might lead to you somewhere like this) then I'd imgaine there is a fair bit of trial and error when trying to use miles and vouchers. Googlefu doesn't need to be partiuclarly strong to find this place though where the answers are pretty easy to come by.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: Varies
I don't think that's fair. OK yes, I've usually planned my trips around availability, rather than expecting to go exactly where I want on the exact dates I want, but I've always ended up with something decent. It's clear from BA's website that these tickets are refundable and changeable for a small fee, which makes them very valuable even to the unsavvy traveller. I've never had to use the smart tricks that many people here use, although sometimes I've had to compromise at the time of booking then swap when better flights became available (e.g. only being able to book JNB initially, then swapping to CPT closer to my travel dates, ditto SEA and YVR). Yes, you have to keep your eyes open for when more flights become available, which can happen at any time, but you don't necessarily have to get them at midnight 355 days out.

I appreciate some destinations have fewer reward seats available, but BA is a business and there's no reason why they should give unlimited seats away for free on their busiest routes.

Maybe you can use your 2-4-1 to get part-way there (e.g. Kuala Lumpur for Singapore, Seoul for Japan, Houston for New Orleans) or try an open-jaw if a straight return isn't available? Or a different class on the outbound and inbound?

And regards not being savvy, it wasn't hard for me to find forums where very helpful and knowledgeable people hang out. I'm often asked for travel advice by friends and family, but really all they have to do is use google; they'll soon find their own answers.
grantsteve likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 9:16 am

I am quite new to this redemption lark myself but it strikes me that a tool like baredemptionfinder which can search for reward availability in F across a number of different destinations at the same time would be very helpful for those of us who aren't overly fussy where we go and want best bang for our buck.
I've now realised that baredemption finder does do such a thing!

https://baredemptionfinder.com/explore
Old Nov 13, 2018, 9:19 am

I've now realised that baredemption finder does do such a thing!

https://baredemptionfinder.com/explore
It's great! Just discovered the wife and I can use our Avios to spend a romantic fortnight in Portland Oregon.
ttama likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by ttama
I don't think that's fair. OK yes, I've usually planned my trips around availability, rather than expecting to go exactly where I want on the exact dates I want
I think that's my main problem and indeed my main difference from most folk on here.
I work full time, have an infant, a school age child and a wife who is a high school teacher.
Not one of these lends itself to "flexibility".
Old Nov 13, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by KiteFlyerP
excellent guys, will do online then, seperate 1 ways, seems no brainer then since its cheaper for this route!
How is the award redemption for two one ways cheaper than one round trip? What's cheaper? The taxes and fees?

WHen you combine for use with a 241, you're saying they don't recalculate the fees as if it's a round trip?
Old Nov 13, 2018, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nologic
How is the award redemption for two one ways cheaper than one round trip? What's cheaper? The taxes and fees?

WHen you combine for use with a 241, you're saying they don't recalculate the fees as if it's a round trip?
You can now apply a 2-4-1 voucher across two one-way bookings that make a round trip. And two one-way bookings can lead to you paying less in total taxes, charges and fees than a round-trip booking for the same flights.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Isn't an open jaw basically two one ways?

​​​​​​​Any idea how two one ways would price differently BOS-LHR-LIN and VCE-LHR-BOS vs as a 2 for a round-trip?
Old Nov 13, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C

Any idea how two one ways would price differently BOS-LHR-LIN and VCE-LHR-BOS vs as a 2 for a round-trip?
Two one ways would probably cheaper. On a return you’d pay twice the US TATL carrier surcharge. On the one ways it would be one US TATL YQ and one Italian TATL YQ. And the US seems to have the highest YQ going.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No! Have you ever tried pricing a cash ticket BOS-LHR-LIN one way, and a cash ticket VCE-LHR-BOS one way, and comparing it to the cost of an open jaw ticket for that itinerary?
​​​​​​Any idea how two one ways would price differently BOS-LHR-LIN and VCE-LHR-BOS vs as a 2 for a round-trip?
Using ITA to estimate this (and thus with all the caveats that includes) for business class:-

1. BOS-LHR-LIN//VCE-LHR-BOS: total TFC $1,240.23
2. BOS-LHR-LIN: total TFC $595.00
3. VCE-LHR-BOS: total TFC $395.43

Lines 2 and 3 added together total $990.43.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 6:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
No! Have you ever tried pricing a cash ticket BOS-LHR-LIN one way, and a cash ticket VCE-LHR-BOS one way, and comparing it to the cost of an open jaw ticket for that itinerary? Using ITA to estimate this (and thus with all the caveats that includes) for business class:-

1. BOS-LHR-LIN//VCE-LHR-BOS: total TFC $1,240.23
2. BOS-LHR-LIN: total TFC $595.00
3. VCE-LHR-BOS: total TFC $395.43

Lines 2 and 3 added together total $990.43.
I initially thought I was in the Premium fares thread and those were prices for those flights in Business Class. Then I realised it was the 2-4-1 thread and we were talking about taxes instead!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.