Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Old Oct 3, 2018, 6:07 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
It's particularly stark as a ticket issued and originating in Brazil has a local exclusion from carrier surcharges. GIG-LHR would benefit from this.

But your booking is issued and originating in the UK so you pay the UK level of YQ on that return leg, something like the Ł175pp difference.

Even the ex-Brazil exemption is not clear cut. If I do a dummy one way booking I get the say Ł20 as you, but on the next screen it jumps to Ł222.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 7:10 am

Many thanks, KARFA, for explaining the taxes - really appreciated that you have unravelled the mystery (lack of knowledge on my part). So, the taxes which I have been charged were correct

Also, thanks to pauldb, for your further clarification.
KARFA likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: BA Gold
I called the US Silver line at 12:58am to add on my return flight, and the agent insisted he couldn’t serve me because I was a UK member.
I told him I’d done it many times before, and asked when this rule had changed - and why it only applied to him - but he was insistent that he had “US members hanging on the line” and I had to wait until the UK office was open to call.
After a long argument I gave up, took his name, and said I’d call back and speak to someone else.
Of course by that time even the US line was closed (8pm eastern), so I lost the chance to book.
Who was in the wrong here? Is this a rule? Was I being too honest and should have said I was in the UK? Should I complain or it that pointless?

Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Has anyone ever successfully booked BA001 with a companion ticket?
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:39 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
No reason why you can't.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
i did yesterday, however a F seat came up so i cancelled and rebooked on that
Old Oct 4, 2018, 12:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
I want (well, need!) to book a 241 tonight, in a quandary about which office to call given the "you can't call the US number if you're from the UK" experience a few posts above. Midnight GMT (1am BST) is closing time for the US and opening time for Hong Kong and Japan

This will be the first time I've ever done the 1am calling, what to FTers thinkg is going to be my best bet - call the US and risk being told to go away, or call Japan / Hong Kong at 1am on the dot?
Old Oct 4, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: Skywards, British Airways Executive Club
My recent experience, I phoned the Hong Kong number at 01:00 which was automatically transferred through to an Indian call centre. The customer service agent immediately understood that I was wanting to add a return element to an existing ‘companion voucher’ booking. Two first class seats booked from San Jose x LHR, completed in a few minutes.....absolutely painless! (I have to say.....my stress levels were sky high prior to the call☹️������)
Lucanesque likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Lucanesque
I want (well, need!) to book a 241 tonight, in a quandary about which office to call given the "you can't call the US number if you're from the UK" experience a few posts above. Midnight GMT (1am BST) is closing time for the US and opening time for Hong Kong and Japan

This will be the first time I've ever done the 1am calling, what to FTers thinkg is going to be my best bet - call the US and risk being told to go away, or call Japan / Hong Kong at 1am on the dot?
Yes, based on my experience above, I’d definitely say try HK. I feel they’re less likely to be belligerent, especially being the start of the day which might mean the line is quieter. Maybe the US guy refused to serve me because he wanted to go home!
Lucanesque likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 12:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ChemicalWoody
I called the US Silver line at 12:58am to add on my return flight, and the agent insisted he couldn’t serve me because I was a UK member.
I told him I’d done it many times before, and asked when this rule had changed - and why it only applied to him - but he was insistent that he had “US members hanging on the line” and I had to wait until the UK office was open to call.
After a long argument I gave up, took his name, and said I’d call back and speak to someone else.
Of course by that time even the US line was closed (8pm eastern), so I lost the chance to book.
Who was in the wrong here? Is this a rule? Was I being too honest and should have said I was in the UK? Should I complain or it that pointless?

Where was the call handled from? I find that every time I call the US number late at night, the call is handled by the call centre in India.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 1:03 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Yes..
I have a 241 LCY-JFK-LHR booked for May next year, back in 1A on a 747. Two ticks on my wish list in one booking.
aidy and cupsandsaucers like this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by ringingup

Where was the call handled from? I find that every time I call the US number late at night, the call is handled by the call centre in India.
Wasn’t India this time I don’t think - had an Irish accent and his name sounded pretty western.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 6:55 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
I've done a few 241 open jaws but only returning from within the same country. Are there any other limitations, apart from the surface sector distance, such as returning from a different country, or even a different continent?

Just to add to the above discussion, when I called the US number to add a return sector it was answered in the US (I think) and, when I said what I wanted, I was put through to the call centre for the detail to be done. I don't think I was asked, or mentioned, where I lived.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vintagepilot
I've done a few 241 open jaws but only returning from within the same country. Are there any other limitations, apart from the surface sector distance, such as returning from a different country, or even a different continent?
Different countries no problem, done numerous SIN / KUL / HKG comobs.

The surface sector distance has to be less than the journey legs. I.E. LHR-KUL/SIN-LHR the KUL-SIN is far less than either of the legs around it

edit - described somewhat clearer in the fourth Q above :

Q: Can I book an open-jaw trip using the voucher?
A: You can, but you will need to call BA. For the trip to be valid, the length of the surface sector must be shorter than either of the flown journeys. If you want to fly from LHR to AAA and from BBB back to LHR, then the LHR-AAA and BBB-LHR distances must both be greater than the distance between AAA and BBB.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 7:03 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Thanks, yes I am happy with the distance requirements, hence my Q about other limitations.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.