Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Old Jul 4, 2018, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by thorro
I have been a lurker on this forum for a long time, and would like to thank everyone contributing to this forum - excellent source of information!

I am looking to book a flight from GOT to SYD using a combination of a 2-4-1 voucher (UK issued) and GGL redemption to open availability in F. Will it be possible to add the GOT-LHR flights under the same PNR, so that the GGL redemption would be applied to the whole itinerary, while the 2-4-1 is only applied to LHR-SYD flights?

That failing does anyone have any experience with regards to whether the check-in agents generally allow you to check your bags through in the event I have to book the GOT-LHR flights separately. Just wanted to understand what to expect in terms of the transfer experience at LHR, particularly as my partner is a non-EU passport holder (no UK visa).

Your voucher can be applied only to an itinerary that originates in the U.K. Through-checking baggage for flights on different PNRs is contrary to BA current policy.

But welcome to flyertalk!!!!
Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: BA GGL
Just realised that my companion voucher expires 6 months sooner than I thought. Darn. Sooo... has anyone ever managed to get it extended? I know the first t&c says "under no circumstances" that can happen so, yeh, guess I'm going to be using this for a random trip rather than the target trip...!
Old Jul 10, 2018, 1:15 am

Hi

I would appreciate some help please.

I recently upgraded to Plus and triggered my voucher which is in my BA Exec Account now.
My £195 fee is due to be applied to my account on 27 July, the final day of this months statement.
My Balance is currently very small on the card so I can pay that online before the month end statement is produced,
I was credited a bonus 6000 Avios once I passed the £10,000 spend and these will be transferred to my BA Exec Account on 21 July.

My questions are
Can I close or downgrade the card once the 6000 Bonus Avios have been transferred out on 21 Jul and avoid the £195 altogether as that is before the 27 Jul statement is produced?
If I do this will the 6000 Bonus Avios be taken back?
Is it best to downgrade and then close or just close?
Is it best to do by phone or online chat?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by dcr54321; Jul 10, 2018 at 1:34 am Reason: spelling
Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:24 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
Just realised that my companion voucher expires 6 months sooner than I thought. Darn. Sooo... has anyone ever managed to get it extended? I know the first t&c says "under no circumstances" that can happen so, yeh, guess I'm going to be using this for a random trip rather than the target trip...!
There are occasional reports of people getting vouchers extended in truly exceptional circumstances e.g. bereavement. However, the general answer is that there are no extensions, I'm afraid.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:39 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by dcr54321
Hi

I would appreciate some help please.

I recently upgraded to Plus and triggered my voucher which is in my BA Exec Account now.
My £195 fee is due to be applied to my account on 27 July, the final day of this months statement.
My Balance is currently very small on the card so I can pay that online before the month end statement is produced,
I was credited a bonus 6000 Avios once I passed the £10,000 spend and these will be transferred to my BA Exec Account on 21 July.

My questions are
Can I close or downgrade the card once the 6000 Bonus Avios have been transferred out on 21 Jul and avoid the £195 altogether as that is before the 27 Jul statement is produced?
If I do this will the 6000 Bonus Avios be taken back?
Is it best to downgrade and then close or just close?
Is it best to do by phone or online chat?

Thank you in advance.
1- If you cancel or downgrade before the fee is due, you should not be charged the annual fee. (Not certain if there are circumstances in which you could be charged for part of a month, depending on the exact date when you started the BAPP card.)
2- No the 6000 Avios will not be taken back.
3- Bear in mind that you will need some kind of Amex card to make a booking using the 2-4-1 voucher. Amex will tell you it has to be the same card that earned the voucher, but this is not what happens in practice. Also Amex will tell you that your 2-4-1 voucher will be cancelled if you cancel the Amex card that earned it. This appears to have never happened, but if they suddenly started enforcing this, you would have no recourse. For these reasons, some people are happier downgrading rather than completely cancelling. If you intend to completely close the account anyway, I can't see any benefit of downgrading first.
4- Either phone or chat works.

Hope that helps.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 8:54 am

Many thanks for the reply
fruitcage likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 5:45 am

I'm looking for some destination inspiration to use up a 2-4-1 and a Lloyds upgrade. Our son has decided he'd like to join us for our winter snowboard break but unfortunately that ties us to the holidays and limited redemption availability. We're looking at Colorado but it's unlikely we'll be able to get out directly due to limited availability so we thinking new year in a city and either road trip (weather dependent) or internal flight for a week of snow and return from there.

We'd be leaving the UK around 26th Dec and returning around the 7th Jan. Sadly i'm not avois rich so any internals would be cash bookings. We're not tied to Colorado specifically - I'd read conditions were decent in Jan but i'm no expert on early January USA options. We've recently been in Banff, Whistler and Tahoe so were looking for somewhere new to try out. Tied to BA metal due to the vouchers. Any snowheads able to offer any alternatives ? thanks
Old Jul 12, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
There is still availability in most classes to and from Denver. Depending on the number of Avios you have, I guess you could book 2 returns with the 241 and one return using the lloyds upgrade voucher. I have only ever used the Lloyds voucher via the avios.com website, so how you would combine the tickets into one booking I don't know.

Have you seen baredemptionfinder.com? This link should show PE availability to Denver.

There is also good availability to New York - so maybe New Year there? You can do 'open jaw' 241' trips where you go out to one place and back from another - ie out to NYC then home from DEN. If you book the NYC-DEN leg on American Airlines (part of OneWorld) you can get some of your avios back by crediting them to your BA.

I'm no expert but I had my first ever skiing experience in Breckenridge over Christmas and New Year some years back, so I can vouch for the fact that it has snow at that time of year - unless global warming has put paid to all that.

Last edited by vintagepilot; Jul 12, 2018 at 6:52 am
Old Jul 12, 2018, 7:35 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
If you dates are tight (after Christmas) and you want business class it'll be a bit harder but ORD has availability 26/12 and 6/1; it's a bit closer to the Rockies but still has the East Coast avios requirement.

(Depending on your son's age have you noted that the schools go back very early in January next year.)
Old Jul 12, 2018, 9:17 am

First ever, outbound 2 4 1 booking made yesterday the return flight is not yet on sale. There are some really helpful posts but I have a few questions about my trip, if someone can help me to better understand how best to proceed.
1) we cannot book the return flight for another 8days - since the outbound flight was booked the 2-4-1 voucher is no longer showing online. Do I need to ring BA to book the return flight or can the return flight still be booked on line onc on sale.
2) if F class avois seats for the outbound and/or return flight were to open up at some later point and I have sufficient miles available, is it possible to attempt to change/amend the existing booking to upgrade or would I need to cancel then rebook, once the voucher is reapplied.
3) There are a few flights to MIA if F seats opened on an alternative flight/same day, can I amend / change without needing to rebook too. Or, is that impossible?

Thank you.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kat222
First ever, outbound 2 4 1 booking made yesterday the return flight is not yet on sale. There are some really helpful posts but I have a few questions about my trip, if someone can help me to better understand how best to proceed.
1) we cannot book the return flight for another 8days - since the outbound flight was booked the 2-4-1 voucher is no longer showing online. Do I need to ring BA to book the return flight or can the return flight still be booked on line onc on sale.
2) if F class avois seats for the outbound and/or return flight were to open up at some later point and I have sufficient miles available, is it possible to attempt to change/amend the existing booking to upgrade or would I need to cancel then rebook, once the voucher is reapplied.
3) There are a few flights to MIA if F seats opened on an alternative flight/same day, can I amend / change without needing to rebook too. Or, is that impossible?

Thank you.
I believe that most, if not all, these questions are answered in the wiki of this thread.

1) You can ring BA at midnight GMT (1 am BST) or, if you have enough Avios, you can book online at the Avios full price and call in the morning to have the 2-4-1 applied to the inbound. The latter method is not recommended for the US due to the higher amount of taxes that you'd end up paying. So, I'd recommend you call instead.
2) Yes, you can change it over the phone at the cost of £35 per person, plus/minus any difference in Avios or tax.
3) Yes. Same as above.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by ringingup
I believe that most, if not all, these questions are answered in the wiki of this thread.

1) You can ring BA at midnight GMT (1 am BST) or, if you have enough Avios, you can book online at the Avios full price and call in the morning to have the 2-4-1 applied to the inbound. The latter method is not recommended for the US due to the higher amount of taxes that you'd end up paying. So, I'd recommend you call instead.
2) Yes, you can change it over the phone at the cost of £35 per person, plus/minus any difference in Avios or tax.
3) Yes. Same as above.
Thank you, I’m most grateful.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 9:27 am

Thanks folks. I think Denver availability has just reappeared as I got an alert from baredemptionfinder.com this afternoon so if I can co-ordinate the bookings tonight then hopefully that's the flights sorted. Both NY and ORD are decent shouts but both cities we've visited - not to say I wouldn't go back but it's always nice to go somewhere different. The lad is at university so we're not tied to an early return thankfully, just the expense of taking him with us
Old Jul 13, 2018, 2:50 am

Programs: BA GGL
Whoops. Didn't realise you also had to fly outbound before the expiry date of the voucher... Expires Nov-18. Haven't needed it (because my redemptions have been for one person), but now want it for a flight in Aug-19. Oh well... Word of warning for those who, like me, have missed that vital bit of info!
Old Jul 13, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Looking to book flights to china using a 2 for 1 voucher
Can we leave from Inverness and return to Aberdeen?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.