Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by botham
My wife has a SC on my Amex. I thought that once I had reached the 2-4-1 spend, we could use her card for a second voucher, but I guess I misunderstood a HFP discussion and only one voucher by account, not per card.
nothing to stop you recommending her for a card (with you as SC) and getting 35000 avios between you. Once you earn your voucher, just put your card away and use hers. 2 vouchers a year (if you can get enough avios and spend 20k a year)
Old Jun 14, 2018, 12:41 pm

Programs: BAEC - Gold
Maybe we've been lucky, but with all the stories of no reward availability flying about, we have managed to use two 2-4-1 vouchers now on the exact dates we wanted, both in First. Easter 2018 and May Half Term 2019. It is possible....
Old Jun 14, 2018, 4:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by firstlight
nothing to stop you recommending her for a card (with you as SC) and getting 35000 avios between you. Once you earn your voucher, just put your card away and use hers. 2 vouchers a year (if you can get enough avios and spend 20k a year)
Presumably two x £195 fee?
Old Jun 14, 2018, 4:52 pm

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by botham

Presumably two x £195 fee?
Maybe — it depends on how quickly you spend enough money to make the target. My partner and I downgrade to the free card as soon as the voucher is awarded. You get a pro-rated refund of the fee. You can upgrade the card again later on.

The real pros get a free card , spend eight or nine grand, upgrade, get the voucher and downgrade again. If you spend a huge amount each month and you’re disciplined you could spend just a few tens of pounds in fees to Amex for the voucher. Personally I can’t be arsed with that amount of optimisation, i’ll pay the fee for about six months this year I guess, get the 2-4-1, then downgrade for a refund.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 3:14 am

Help re booking my return 2-4-1from Asia

I’m navigating my way through this site on my phone and have read lots but sorry if I have missed info already given .
ive booked my outbound flight from LHR first class to Asia for next May . Want to book my return tonight . I don’t have enough avios to book online and get refunded . So am I right in thinking I call Japan at 1am ? And what is the number ? Just the regular BA number or exec club ? ( I found I link on here for numbers but it didn’t work ) . Or would it be better to call Hong Kong for language purposes ? Getting a bit stressed cos I was going to book today but those flights have already gone - so we’ll need to come back a day later !
Any help much appreciated- thank you 😊
Old Jun 17, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Jchisley
I’m navigating my way through this site on my phone and have read lots but sorry if I have missed info already given .
ive booked my outbound flight from LHR first class to Asia for next May . Want to book my return tonight . I don’t have enough avios to book online and get refunded . So am I right in thinking I call Japan at 1am ? And what is the number ? Just the regular BA number or exec club ? ( I found I link on here for numbers but it didn’t work ) . Or would it be better to call Hong Kong for language purposes ? Getting a bit stressed cos I was going to book today but those flights have already gone - so we’ll need to come back a day later !
Any help much appreciated- thank you 😊
The FAQs in the wiki of this thread should answer your questions.

You will have to call Japan or the US number at 1 AM. You can find the numbers on BA’s website selecting the country you want. It won’t be the UK number you would normally use. Probably better to login first just in case there are different numbers by tier (I’m not sure if that’s the case for non UK EC lines).
Old Jun 17, 2018, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by ringingup

The FAQs in the wiki of this thread should answer your questions.

You will have to call Japan or the US number at 1 AM. You can find the numbers on BA’s website selecting the country you want. It won’t be the UK number you would normally use. Probably better to login first just in case there are different numbers by tier (I’m not sure if that’s the case for non UK EC lines).
Old Jun 17, 2018, 8:35 am

Thank you ringingup- it’ll be a late night for me then and a very expensive phone call - I hope they don’t take too long to deal with my booking !
Fingers crossed - my trip to Asia is getting longer as my success in booking the return flight remains unfulfilled!
many thanks
Old Jun 17, 2018, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Haha! Remember you Can airways pay a small change fee and go back to your earlier dates should availability open up. You do know F is not a given, only 2xCW right?
Old Jun 17, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: BA Blue, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Jchisley
Thank you ringingup- it’ll be a late night for me then and a very expensive phone call - I hope they don’t take too long to deal with my booking !
Fingers crossed - my trip to Asia is getting longer as my success in booking the return flight remains unfulfilled!
many thanks
Set up a Skype account and buy a small amount of credit for it (if you haven’t got one already). A lot cheaper than phoning Japan on a mobile or home phone!
I did this last week, ended up on hold to Japan and got transferred to the Indian helpdesk, was a bit of a faff initially but they transferred me to the person handling the avios bookings and they were able to sort things out. Took 20 mins so longer than usual but luckily the seats were still available...
nivsy likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Eskimoboy

Set up a Skype account and buy a small amount of credit for it (if you haven’t got one already). A lot cheaper than phoning Japan on a mobile or home phone!
I did this last week, ended up on hold to Japan and got transferred to the Indian helpdesk, was a bit of a faff initially but they transferred me to the person handling the avios bookings and they were able to sort things out. Took 20 mins so longer than usual but luckily the seats were still available...
If I’m not wrong the US number is a US free phone anyway, so you should be able to call for free using Skype.

Another useful piece of advice is that one shouldn’t wait until 00:55 to call as it may take a while to get through. I would call at least at 00:45. Whenever I’ve dealt with the Indian call centre, they’ve always been happy to wait until the seats became available. They were able to load my account up and get everything ready in advance.

Last edited by ringingup; Jun 17, 2018 at 11:15 am
Old Jun 17, 2018, 10:16 am

Thanks Milefky ... well there seem to be two flights a day , with 3 First on each ... well that’s what I’ve seen in the last week - so I’m hopeful . I even bought more avios to ensure I had enough so I’ll cry if I don’t get them - but yes guess I’ll have to go for CW if there’s nothing else ... or we might never get home 🙊
Old Jun 17, 2018, 10:19 am

Oh. Thanks re Skype - good idea I will do that . I looked re my mobile and it was going to cost £1.60 a minute so I’d be getting very stressed if have to wait a long time !
Thank you so much
Old Jun 18, 2018, 5:50 am

Well I called Japan and they were very efficient - BUT no first class flights available . I was gutted especially after buying 15000 more avios so I would have enough for first . So I got CW otherwise we might not have got a flight at all ... but I’m going to keep an eye out in case they add some first class later .
I was surprised because there are 2 flights from Hkg each night and mostly there seem to be 3 first class avios seats on each flight . But not on the days I wanted 😢
thanks to everyone for help and advice though x
Old Jun 18, 2018, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Well done Jchisley however this is no surprise on the F front, often the F seats do open a few days after 355 and you can call up and change. Don't give up, check daily, and also consider return point from a different location if the F seats are really what you are after
ringingup and Jchisley like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.