Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2018, 10:12 am

Location: Northern Ireland (in spirit), but much more likely GB or Europe.
Programs: EI Aer Club, IB Plus, BA EC, AAdvantage
2-4-1 voucher issued following upgrade.

A family member had a standard BA Amex card and managed, unexpectedly, to spend over £10k on the card within his membership year. There was no hope of him getting £20k, so I advised him to upgrade from the standard to premium plus Amex to trigger the 2-4-1 voucher. This has since been completed, although the newly triggered voucher has an expiry of 1 year, I would have expected it to be 2 years given that he’s now got the premium plus. Is this correct or should we challenge Amex?
Old Jan 29, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by BHDBOY
My father had a standard BA Amex card and managed, unexpectedly, to spend over £10k on the card within his membership year. There was no hope of him getting £20k, so I advised him to upgrade from the standard to premium plus Amex to trigger the 2-4-1 voucher. This has since been completed, although the newly triggered voucher has an expiry of 1 year, I would have expected it to be 2 years given that he’s now got the premium plus. Is this correct or should we challenge Amex?
Should be 2 years. There are a couple of stories back up this thread about exactly this situation, which seems to have been resolved after some to-and-fro with Amex and BA.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 10:21 am

Programs: Varies
My father had a standard BA Amex card and managed, unexpectedly, to spend over £10k on the card within his membership year. There was no hope of him getting £20k, so I advised him to upgrade from the standard to premium plus Amex to trigger the 2-4-1 voucher. This has since been completed, although the newly triggered voucher has an expiry of 1 year, I would have expected it to be 2 years given that he’s now got the premium plus. Is this correct or should we challenge Amex?
Both myself and someone else reported a similar issue recently. There seems to be a flaw in the way the voucher expiry date is posted to your BAEC account when you upgrade cards. I don't know whose fault it is, although BA told me it's Amex's system.

I contacted both Amex and BA. I believe Amex wrote to BA after I contacted them, and that BA wrote to Amex after I contacted them. So you probably don't need to contact both, but it doesn't hurt.

It seems to take between 8 and 10 business days for Amex to confirm the correct expiry date, and for it to be updated on the BAEC membership page. I received a confirmation email from BA after it was corrected.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
A family member had a standard BA Amex card and managed, unexpectedly, to spend over £10k on the card within his membership year. There was no hope of him getting £20k, so I advised him to upgrade from the standard to premium plus Amex to trigger the 2-4-1 voucher. This has since been completed, although the newly triggered voucher has an expiry of 1 year, I would have expected it to be 2 years given that he’s now got the premium plus. Is this correct or should we challenge Amex?
ttama was indeed correct (hello)

Contact Amex and wait 8/10 days
Old Jan 29, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by peck

Oh absolutely Uncle T - just interested to see if anyone had any direct experience here.

I spoke to someone at AMEX earlier. They said if the purchases didn’t post tmw to get back in touch. I presume there may be some leeway from that comment, but we’ll see. My own stupid fault at the end of the day 😬

Thanks for the comments!
Just to report back on this I had a long conversation with someone at Amex who told me that if the £10k is not processed by the deadline then they had never seen BA show any flexibility wrt the date. He said all you can do is request that pending payments are accelerated by the vendor so they are processed in time.

I had a couple of BA flights pending. I called the gold line and was told nothing could be done to speed up the payment. Thankfully I also had an expensive hotel payment pending which IHG agreed to prioritise. It went through on the deadline day, triggering the voucher.

So, to summarise - don’t be stupid like me and get your purchases in prior to your deadline. If you are struggling, certain vendors may be able to accelerate a payment (But BA told me it was not possible).

It was 100% my error so no blame here. IHG were very helpful though
T8191 likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 11:22 am

Could anyone suggest anywhere with sun for two redemptions on the half term: 26th May - 3rd June

Any cabin
Old Jan 30, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by flyer200
Could anyone suggest anywhere with sun for two redemptions on the half term: 26th May - 3rd June

Any cabin
presuming you want to use a voucher on BA, and sticking to Club, an eclectic mix: Gibraltar, Palma, Tirana and Atlanta have some availability that might work.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Originally Posted by pauldb

presuming you want to use a voucher on BA, and sticking to Club, an eclectic mix: Gibraltar, Palma, Tirana and Atlanta have some availability that might work.
How did you do that?

This is an exercise I will have to do for the first time soon, where to go with this voucher!
Old Jan 31, 2018, 1:45 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
I used the AA Advantage map: https://www.aa.com/awardMap/home.do#

It shows awards of a few AA partners but if you search from LON, put in a high number of "Miles to Use" to delimit it, "Include Partners" and specific Non-Stop, you'll mainly see BA flights.

You can search one destination continent at a time, but it's also one date at a time, so this really comes into it's own when you have a tight travel window and only a few date-combinations.

I'd also add Milan for the half-term searcher: even to the north in the Lakes it should be in the 20s or I've done Cinque Terra from there (though GOA or PSA are closer) where it would be warmer still, or even Tuscany where as it happens I am off to at half-term (via BLQ) thanks to finding seats this way.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 6:23 am

As a Gold member I get extra availability in economy for reward flights.

Is there a way I can book two reward flights using my wife's 2-41 and 2 revenue tickets for same trip even though my wife is not Gold?

So 4 tickets, 2 revenue, 2 reward using 1 voucher?
Old Feb 3, 2018, 6:41 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by netchris
Great article,

i'm looking to go from lgw to svd which requires a change to liat somewhere local to svd. Is it possible say to book lgw <> bgi 2-4-1 then pay BA extra for bgi to svd so my journey is 1 ticket and luggage booked all the way through?

TIA
I would suggest phoning up the gold line (with your wife also available to talk) and they might be able to sort it out for you.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 1:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Calling at midnight

Hi
Got the voucher and am looking at some redemptions to South America, probably in Feb or March 2019, so not quite at T-355. What is the best number to ring at midnight to snatch the 2 J seats since the link seems to be broken on wiki?
Anyone done this recently since I have heard that the US agents are now refusing to ticket these if you are UK member?
Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 5:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
Originally Posted by Dselvan
Hi
Got the voucher and am looking at some redemptions to South America, probably in Feb or March 2019, so not quite at T-355. What is the best number to ring at midnight to snatch the 2 J seats since the link seems to be broken on wiki?
Anyone done this recently since I have heard that the US agents are now refusing to ticket these if you are UK member?
The Japanese office seem to be pretty good in my experience. Remember that you can book the outbound online, and don't make the mistake I recently made of phoning up at 23.55GMT to Japan - the seats were gone by the time I got through.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 5:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Dselvan
Hi
I didn’t have any problems calling the US line!
Old Feb 6, 2018, 6:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by omk298
The Japanese office seem to be pretty good in my experience. Remember that you can book the outbound online, and don't make the mistake I recently made of phoning up at 23.55GMT to Japan - the seats were gone by the time I got through.
Hi omk298
Many thanks for that. I assume the numbers are the ones for customer services for Japan on ba.com? What time is best to ring Japan? Didn't know that I could book the outbound online using the voucher.
Many thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.